Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Samanthamum
    Mid 30s need job ideas - help!
    • 16th Mar 11, 9:08 AM
    Mid 30s need job ideas - help! 16th Mar 11 at 9:08 AM
    I am in my mid 30s and for most of my life have been a SAHM. I have a degree and for the last year have worked in a call centre as it the only place that would give me a job after being a SAHM for may years. I HATE my job and need ideas of where to go next.

* I want to work part time - max 20 hours a week
    * Cant drive so need to work in one building/place
    * Do not want to deal with the public, but do like talking to people in general like work collegues
    * No phone work
    * Nothing too physical as my health is not so good
    * I am quite happy to do a repetive job
    * Very good with written English
    * Can use a PC and have ECDL
    * No working evenings/weekends

My ideal job would be one where I get to work in an office all day, on the computer ect and be pretty much left alone. The Lionbridge job looked ideal for me, but I failed the test.

Any ideas about what I could do?
Page 1
  • Samanthamum
    • 16th Mar 11, 1:48 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 1:48 PM
    Please? Someone must have an idea?
  • brokeinwales
    • 16th Mar 11, 1:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 1:57 PM
    TBH your "No phone work" specification is going to limit you a lot . Otherwise I would suggest looking for a job as an administrative assistant in a small - medium-sized company. (Perhaps something like an electricians, or a charity). The work in itself is often dull and undemanding, but it can be varied - include filling in forms, writing letters, keeping records, processing invoices, photocopying etc. there'll also be opportunities to improve your IT skills and learn a few new things. But it will involve answering/ making a few phone calls.
    In all honesty, unless you want to work in a factory I can think of very few jobs that don't involve either dealing with the public or speaking on the phone at least a little bit - I think if you want to work this is something you just have to get over.
    • stephyt23
    • By stephyt23 16th Mar 11, 2:00 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    stephyt23
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:00 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:00 PM
    TBH your "No phone work" specification is going to limit you a lot . Otherwise I would suggest looking for a job as an administrative assistant in a small - medium-sized company. (Perhaps something like an electricians, or a charity). The work in itself is often dull and undemanding, but it can be varied - include filling in forms, writing letters, keeping records, processing invoices, photocopying etc. there'll also be opportunities to improve your IT skills and learn a few new things. But it will involve answering/ making a few phone calls.
    In all honesty, unless you want to work in a factory I can think of very few jobs that don't involve either dealing with the public or speaking on the phone at least a little bit - I think if you want to work this is something you just have to get over.
    Originally posted by brokeinwales
    I'm going to have to agree with that. I've had two office jobs in the past and both involved some work on the phone. With a list of requirements like that you'll be lucky to find a job where you don't have to compromise on something
    Saved: £1566.53/ £2000
  • Jowo
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:06 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:06 PM
    The type of job you describe - part time, mon to fri day time - is the type of role many mothers are keenly seeking so you have a lot of competition.

Added to other criteria - office based, no contact work, no travel, non-public facing, not physical - and you also cut down on many opportunities.

Looks like you will have to wait it out for this very rare admin role vacancy to pop up and be ready for the stiff competition from other people wanting an easy stress free job.
  • Samanthamum
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    Thanks for all your advice. I think factory work might be a good option for me.

It is not so much I dont like the public or talking on the phone, but in a call centre I deal with a lot of abuse. Just dont want a job were abuse is seen as the norm and it seems a lot of the work with the public involves this.
  • Samanthamum
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:14 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:14 PM
    I'm going to have to agree with that. I've had two office jobs in the past and both involved some work on the phone. With a list of requirements like that you'll be lucky to find a job where you don't have to compromise on something
    Originally posted by stephyt23
    Dont mind work on the phone as long as I am allowed to hang up if someone is abusive. Many companies dont allow this.
    • stephyt23
    • By stephyt23 16th Mar 11, 2:15 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    stephyt23
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:15 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:15 PM
    Isn't a lot of factory work physical though? Quite a few also work evenings.
    • stephyt23
    • By stephyt23 16th Mar 11, 2:17 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    stephyt23
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:17 PM
    • 16th Mar 11, 2:17 PM
    Dont mind work on the phone as long as I am allowed to hang up if someone is abusive. Many companies dont allow this.
    Originally posted by Samanthamum
    Well no they wouldn't. I've worked in a call centre and if people became abusive I had to put them onto my supervisor to handle. And I worked with people claiming JSA and other benefits so got a lot of abuse if claims weren't accepted. You just don't take it personally. It's not you their having a go at it's the company, and often them just venting their frustration if they are in hard times
  • Samanthamum
    Isn't a lot of factory work physical though? Quite a few also work evenings.
    Guess it depends. My friend works in a packing factory and is sat down all day. They have the "mums" shift 10-2

I could really do with some advice from someone who helps disabled people back into work. I do not claim DLA but have mental health and mobility issues and have no idea who to talk too. Might ask my therapist, she might now.
  • Samanthamum
    Well no they wouldn't. I've worked in a call centre and if people became abusive I had to put them onto my supervisor to handle. And I worked with people claiming JSA and other benefits so got a lot of abuse if claims weren't accepted. You just don't take it personally. It's not you their having a go at it's the company, and often them just venting their frustration if they are in hard times
    I am a supervisor! LOL I do know what you mean, but I just cant take it anymore. I am VERY good at call handling, but come home and cry.
    • stephyt23
    • By stephyt23 16th Mar 11, 2:25 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    stephyt23
    I am a supervisor! LOL I do know what you mean, but I just cant take it anymore. I am VERY good at call handling, but come home and cry.
    Originally posted by Samanthamum
    Oh, sorry that's not much help then
  • brokeinwales
    I have had admin jobs where I only had to deal with "business" callers (e.g. suppliers, partners on projects etc), but it would seem silly to limit yourself to something so specific. I think maybe the call centre role has given you a slightly skewed view of the general public - people who speak to call centres are generally in quite an irate frame of mind, they might've phoned to complain about something, been in a queue for ages, not be getting answers they want etc - the level of abuse from the general public that you see is going to be much, much higher than - say - a travel agent, or a hotel receptionist when people are in a more positive fram eof mind.
    That said, some people do get narky on the phone - with or without good reason. You're never going to find a job that doesn't involve the occasional difficult, stressful or upsetting situation. You're always going to have to deal with difficult people.

RE: factory work. In my summer breaks while I was at college I worked in factories, and rarely did anything more physical than put letters in envelopes, or biscuits in boxes. It doesn't pay too badly, but getting shifts that suit you isn't always easy.
    • Annisele
    • By Annisele 16th Mar 11, 6:23 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    Annisele
    Another vote for "your list seems a bit too restrictive" I'm afraid.

If it wasn't for the "no working with the public", you might be able to find work as something like a supermarket checkout assistant that would fit the rest of your criteria. Or if you dropped the "no phone work", as others have said an admin role might suit you very well.

Can you type? I found audio typing properly dull, but you might be able to find somewhere were you could work those hours and not touch a phone.
  • donquine
    Another vote for "your list seems a bit too restrictive" I'm afraid.

If it wasn't for the "no working with the public", you might be able to find work as something like a supermarket checkout assistant that would fit the rest of your criteria. Or if you dropped the "no phone work", as others have said an admin role might suit you very well.
    Originally posted by Annisele
    As above.

OP, I don't think you necessarily want a job without any phone use - you just don't want to work in a call centre. The types of calls you handle at present are very different to those which you would deal with in any other job, i.e. it's much more pleasant in other lines of work!

A part time office job would probably suit you quite well.
  • shamrock77
    factories
    Ive worked in a good few factories, majority of them were physical unless on production line, where you have to stand on the one spot for few hours at a time - something else to consider ive never had factory job & sat always stood, but look into it you may be lucky this just my experience of electronics, food factories & packing. Goodluck.
    • ellie101
    • By ellie101 16th Mar 11, 10:02 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    ellie101
    Samanthamum, I'd really consider a job with some phone work if everything else a good fit. What others are saying about "other" types of phone work being different can be correct.

I worked in a call centre, mainly handling complaints, we were allowed to hang up on abusive customers but I only lasted 6 mths before getting a transfer, really hated it. Whereas someone who became a close friend was great, she could handle it, never took it personally and went on to deal with complaints that had been escalated to exec level. I think some people are cut out for it and others aren't, you can learn certain things but I think some of it is innate. Or if you have things going on outside work causing you difficulties it can be hard.

But despite me not being able to work in call centres I've been in other jobs now where I've spent a lot of time on the phone, sometimes difficult conversations. I've found it totally different, much more manageable. Hopefullly someone will give you advice about organisations/assistance for you getting back into work with disabilities, good luck.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 16th Mar 11, 11:24 PM
    • 19,400 Posts
    • 31,386 Thanks
    Spendless
    I have an admin job that fits most of your boxes. I am employed via a temping agency at an office in an admin role. I take very few calls, as most people ring the person they wish to speak to directly on their (company) mobiles. Very, very rarely is it a member of the general public, more likely to be other members of staff, local authorities or garages about company vehicles. The job is repetitive, but like you I took time out to have a family and this was the only place to offer work, it does increase very gradually responsibility wise but at a snails place. You also have to be willing, initiallyt he agency asked if I was interested in 1 day a week, that then changed to 2 after my interview within 2 months it had changed to 3 then just before xmas it changed to 4. if I'd said no, I guess they'd ahve found someone else by now. of course by agreeing I learn more and more and they'd have to start from scratch with someone new.. I also used the request to change from 2 days to 3 as the time to ask for school hours which was agreed to.

However, jsut because you cut out many of the things you mention not wanting, other things will come in it's palce. Where I work is a hotbed of office politics. You've got to see all hear all and say nowt and sometimes that is very difficult, especially if you are the one who has just been wound up!!!!

I also have no job security, being via an agency. For me this no longer bothers me (it used to-till I sussed out the perks I had from the permanent staff) and my job is 'extras' into the hosuehold. Not a route I could go down if we neeeded my money though.

What's your degree in?

Whilst retail work is extremely likely to be evenings and weekend work, looking at the smaller places that don't open this hours might be an idea eg my local sandwich shop and bakers, closes at 4pm mon-fri and 2pm on saturdays, they are open early though.
    Last edited by Spendless; 16-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,027Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin