Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trotter09
    • By trotter09 6th Mar 11, 2:15 PM
    • 857Posts
    • 1,844Thanks
    trotter09
    0 WOW
    Expand Your Vocabulary - Free.
    • 6th Mar 11, 2:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Expand Your Vocabulary - Free. 6th Mar 11 at 2:15 PM
    Someone recently pointed out to me that many adults have a shockingly limited vocabulary. Which prompted me to start this thread.

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: Sign up at Wordsmith.org to get an email containing the definition of an uncommon word every weekday. Some words you will know, some will be new to you.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Page 1
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 6th Mar 11, 7:53 PM
    • 8,323 Posts
    • 5,858 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    • 6th Mar 11, 7:53 PM
    • 6th Mar 11, 7:53 PM
    I started a thread in Discussion Time about using long words with children and someone pointed out that many adults have a shockingly limited vocabulary. Which prompted me to start this thread.

You can sign up here to get an email Monday to Friday, each containing the definition of an uncommon word. Some words you will know, some will be new to you.

For example, we've recently had: expostulate, miasma, ersatz, dyspeptic, lacuna and apophasis. Maybe you were familiar with all those already...
    Originally posted by trotter09
    Listen/watch for this one (lacuna) over the next few months, it's becoming à la mode. Have you noticed how "Unprecedented" is now all over the place too.
  • john_howard_fisher
    • 6th Mar 11, 8:13 PM
    • 6th Mar 11, 8:13 PM
    thanks have signed up. looks like good idea.
    Martin you rock
  • stormtrainer
    • 6th Mar 11, 8:18 PM
    • 6th Mar 11, 8:18 PM
    Thank you for providing the email sign up link.
  • sirmarcus
    • 6th Mar 11, 10:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 11, 10:11 PM
    Thanks OP.
    • trotter09
    • By trotter09 6th Mar 11, 10:47 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    trotter09
    • 6th Mar 11, 10:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 11, 10:47 PM
    Listen/watch for this one (lacuna) over the next few months, it's becoming à la mode.
    Originally posted by LittleVoice
    Any idea why lacuna is becoming fashionable? Or is it just one of those things?
    • newmee
    • By newmee 6th Mar 11, 10:50 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    newmee
    • 6th Mar 11, 10:50 PM
    • 6th Mar 11, 10:50 PM
    Thanks for this. i love learning new words...trouble with me is remembering what they mean. I learn new ones often but never seem to retain them I'm just a doof brain I guess
    The greatest gift you'll ever learn,
    is just to love and be loved in return
    Nature boy - Eden Ahbez
    • trotter09
    • By trotter09 7th Mar 11, 3:19 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    trotter09
    • 7th Mar 11, 3:19 PM
    • 7th Mar 11, 3:19 PM
    i love learning new words...trouble with me is remembering what they mean. I learn new ones often but never seem to retain them
    Originally posted by newmee
    I think there is a long word which means someone who learns lots of new things but soon forgets them. Can't remember what it is though.
    • *Scarlett
    • By *Scarlett 7th Mar 11, 6:10 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    *Scarlett
    • 7th Mar 11, 6:10 PM
    • 7th Mar 11, 6:10 PM
    I love this sort of thing - thanks OP.
    • _Roxy_
    • By _Roxy_ 7th Mar 11, 6:23 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    _Roxy_
    Thanks OP!
  • moonsugar
    Thanks OP
    For those who aren't familiar, freerice.com is also a nice site.

It's a fun little [free] game to help build your vocab and for every answer you get right you donate 10 grains of rice through the World Food Programme
    This thing we call failure is not falling down but staying down
    • vpeake
    • By vpeake 7th Mar 11, 9:12 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    vpeake
    this is amazing!!!! thank you x
  • pyko
    That's very nice. Thanks!
  • helenstuff
    Any idea why lacuna is becoming fashionable? Or is it just one of those things?
    A book called The Lacuna won the Orange Prize last year: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lacuna-Barbara-Kingsolver/dp/0571252672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299676851&sr=8-1#_
  • Wordsmith
    If you like this sort of thing, you might be interested in Michael Quinion's web site (www.worldwidewords.org). He also has a weekly email newsletter.

(PS My username is nothing to do with the original poster's link - mere coincidence.)
    "Green pastures are before me,
    Which yet I have not seen;"
    I'd love to be a good example - instead, I am a horrible warning.
    • Celia
    • By Celia 14th May 11, 6:20 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Celia
    Another good one is Freerice - but be warned - its addictive! http://www.freerice.com/
  • 7ten
    Brilliant. Vocab and expression are so dumbed down thesedays.
    My brain has since shrunk. Thank you for the link.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 27th Jul 11, 12:51 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 38,245 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Another good site for expanding your vocabulary is Free Rice - this is a GENUINE scheme where rice is donated to the hungry when you give a correct dictionary definition of a word. There are reports that this is a scam, but as far as I can determine, that is not true.
    I am a qualified literacy and numeracy tutor and used the original Free Rice game with my learners - they had great fun with it and it promoted a lot of discussion. Since then the site has expanded to include other activities - I had fun myself seeing how much German I remembered, many years after I lived there. freerice.com is the site - I'm not sure if I would be allowed to put a direct link up.

Oops someone else mentioned Free Rice as I was waxing lyrical. I went there ... and spent 20 minutes improving my vocab! It IS addictive!
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 27-07-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Wistful

You can sign up at Wordsmith.org to get an email Monday to Friday, each containing the definition of an uncommon word. Some words you will know, some will be new to you.
    Amazing how rich the English language is. It's nice learning new words, but also nice when you get a word you know.
  • helloblueskies
    Word Dynamo.
    Another FANASTIC site is (I'm a new user so cant post links but google ''word dynamo''), you need to join but apart from the vocabulary games, there's quizzes on everything, capital cities, foreign languages etc. I'm writing my dissertation just now and the essay vocab has taught me at least 50 relevant words to use
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

1,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CouncilReporter: How London's skyline will evolve if the 250 high rise towers planned or underway in the capital go ahead as planned ht?

• Age UK boss is right to say on BBC news "you cant compare 2yr fix to a 1yr fix" yet for a decent time it was expensive compared to 2yr fixes

• RT @MoneyTelegraph: Use the same password for everything? You're fuelling a surge in current account fraud https://t.co/hLRY5gkZoE

• Follow Martin