Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Metal Guru
    Will adverse credit history stop me renting a house?
    • 10th Feb 11, 1:59 PM
    Will adverse credit history stop me renting a house? 10th Feb 11 at 1:59 PM
    Hi, has anyone experience of renting a house with an adverse credit record?

I started on a DMP via the CCCS in August 2010 with total debts of around 50,000. It has gone really well and I am able to manage my personal finances far more responsibly than I have for years. I am in rented accommodation and have been given notice as the landlord wishes to sell. When I find a new property to rent, the letting agent will inevitably run a credit check. I am terrified that I will be considered an 'unsuitable tenant' and won't be able to rent anywhere because of my adverse credit record, even though financially I am in the most secure and stable position I have been for years thanks to the CCCS. I am in secure well-paid employment with a regular income and could provide references from my employer, bank and current letting agent - but we seem to live in an age of 'computer says no'. Has anyone been through this or know enough about it to give me any advice?

A second question, I currently live alone but there's a chance I could end up sharing with someone else (would certainly be cheaper...). What would we need to do to ensure that their credit record is protected and not associated with my adverse history?

Thank you so much kind people...
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

557Posts Today

4,141Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On way to @GMB for my 7:40 Deals of the Week, which incl don't bin AI scene letter, Amazon voucher, free make up, free photo prints and more

• Ever watched storage hunters? Now you can do it yourself, with lost luggage auctions... http://t.co/kxINkGPQa4

• MSE Big Energy Switch III: Cheaper than the cheapest energy, save £280/yr + £30 cashback + 1,500 clubcard pts.... http://t.co/f5JfF6T9Aa

• Follow Martin