Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > Silentnight Miracoil...is it so bad? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Silentnight Miracoil...is it so bad?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,733
# 1
WOW Factor 0
splinters
Old 29-01-2011, 9:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Silentnight Miracoil...is it so bad?

I am looking for a new bed so my daughter can have our 10 month old rest assured. Nearly bought a Sealy Posturepedic Gold Dream from Tesco but went to a shop and got caught up in the usual bed nightmare.
Wifey wants a Tempur but I dislike them (especially at £1800), we both liked the feel of the 'Sleep for Life 500' and also a Relyon memory foam style bed that was nice and cool, unlike the tempur.
However, the bed we really liked was a Silentnight Miracoil Zone 7 Deluxe Double 2 Drawer divan.

It would seem that this is based on the Miracoil 7 Pocket 2100 but with an extra layer of memory foam. Price is good and I am up for it but I read a lot of bad comments (mostly here) about the Miracoil. As this has the extra pocket sprung layers and memory foam will it be such a bad purchase?
They offered me a good deal on the SFL (just under £1000 if I have the 'generic' i.e. non matching base).

Need to get a new bed ordered tomorrow so hoping someone can share their experiences or advice with me...
# 2
Orrin
Old 29-01-2011, 10:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mini pocket springs over an open coil system sounds like a gimmick. If I were you I'd be looking for something simpler with memory foam and pocket springs only.

I had a Silentnight miracoil bed a few years ago and it was nothing special but not terrible. You do hear a lot of complaints about them though it could just be because they sell a lot of beds.
# 3
splinters
Old 29-01-2011, 10:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Strange that most of the reviews I read from purchasers are usually good. This is the first site I came across that changed my view of Silentnight beds. To be honest, we like the bed; find it very comfortable. I just worry that it will develop issues. £750 is still a fair amount of money to waste if it did turn out to be less than satisfactory.
# 4
Orrin
Old 29-01-2011, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My main concern would be the pocket springs with miracoil combination. Pocket springs are a technical improvement over open coil so there doesn't seem to be any reason to combine the two systems. Usually it's a case of one or the other with manufacturing cost the determining factor; pocket springs are more expensive to produce. Apart from the fact that it just sounds like a gimmick, I'd also be worried that with two different systems like that there's a higher chance of something going wrong.
# 5
splinters
Old 29-01-2011, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

True enough, I have no idea why they do this other than to cut down the cost. It is comfy though.
Can I ask Orrin, do you have a technical or retail connection to the bed market or are you simply a consumer with experience of this particular Silentnight range, I only ask as you seem quite knowledgeable.
# 6
Orrin
Old 30-01-2011, 12:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My knowledge is just based on my own research and experience as a consumer and I have no connection with the bed industry. As I said I have owned a Silentnight bed before, but it was (IIRC) a plain old miracoil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Orrin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
kerri gt
Old 30-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Does the bed come with any kind of guarantee that if it does develop a fault, you are covered? Beds are so indivdual that if you both find it comfy I would go with your personal preference.
Aug 2014 NSD Challenge 13/14
JUL NSD 16/12 MAY NSD 7/11 APR NSD 14/16
MAR NSD 17/17 FEB NSD 18/15 JAN NSD 16/12
The Following User Says Thank You to kerri gt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
splinters
Old 30-01-2011, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

5 year guarantee. Everything covered first year, you have to pay towards transport in second year then contribute to cost of replacement in the last 3 years.
Closed Thread