Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    EltonJohnFan
    0 WOW
    Is it illegal to sell out of date food?
    • 30th Dec 10, 7:14 PM
    0 WOW
    Is it illegal to sell out of date food? 30th Dec 10 at 7:14 PM
    Good evening everyone,

I'm been trying to find some information on whether it's illegal for a shop to sell out of date food because I've become aware that the local "Spar" in my community has a range of foodstuff that, in my opinion shouldn't be on sale because there are one or two items that are completely out of date and this has actually left me quite concerned. Whilst I was browsing through the shelfs for a few things today I noticed that the shop was selling chocolate chip muffins with a "best before date" of 19/12/2010 and this immediately caught my attention and so I then checked the bread and this wasn't so bad but was still out of date by a day or two. I also picked up a few packets of crisps and these again were out of date by a month or so but the very worst item was the Birds Eye Spaghetti Bolognese meal that I didn't actually check until I got home and was ready to put it in the oven but this item had a best before date of the 04/2010... surely this isn't right? I understand it's frozen food but even then I'd be wary of consuming something that's out of date by so much time. I wouldn't want to cause problems over nothing and I'll simply avoid this store in future but others might not be as lucky as myself and I feel compelled to bring this matter to the attention of the proper person who might be able to do something about this matter. When I took back the Spaghetti Bolognese meal the man merely shrugged his shoulders and said how did he know I'd bought it from there and that it could have been from any other shop, that he didn't sell out of date food. Take care everyone
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 31-12-2010 at 3:48 PM.
Page 1
  • archived user
    • 30th Dec 10, 7:34 PM
    Best Before is only a guide with no legal standing under the various food laws. It does what it says on the can and just warns you that the flavour/texture etc MIGHT degrade after this date. The food is still edible.

See the Food Standards site
    • dyldwarf
    • By dyldwarf 30th Dec 10, 7:34 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    dyldwarf
    i think shops can get fined for selling out of date food
  • dickieg
    • 30th Dec 10, 7:45 PM
    • 30th Dec 10, 7:45 PM
    As a rule of thumb
    USE BY... Eat before the date, may be detramental to your health
    SELL BY.... A date the shop should of sold it by but still alright to eat
    BEST BEFORE... Ok to eat but may not be as tasty as the time prior to the date shown
    • jbro
    • By jbro 30th Dec 10, 7:57 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    jbro
    • 30th Dec 10, 7:57 PM
    • 30th Dec 10, 7:57 PM
    i think shops can get fined for selling out of date food
    Originally posted by dyldwarf

I think you're right. My son used to work in a supermarket when he was in 6th form and he was always told to check and remove anything that was out of date.
    • jbro
    • By jbro 30th Dec 10, 8:01 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    jbro
    • 30th Dec 10, 8:01 PM
    • 30th Dec 10, 8:01 PM
    From a trading standards website:

"Foods marked with a 'use by' date must not be sold or displayed for sale after their marked dates. It is an offence to sell or offer for sale food past its use by date. For example, use by 5 March means use by midnight on 5 March.
    Foods marked with 'best before' or 'best before end' dates may be sold after their marked dates, provided that they remain of good quality and fit for human consumption. In these circumstances it is advisable to ensure that customers know that the date has expired before they make the decision to buy."
  • Miss Orangey Goodness
    • 30th Dec 10, 8:55 PM
    • 30th Dec 10, 8:55 PM
    I imagine its fine if its "Best Before" - as previous poster says its fine to eat, just wont be as nice.
    Things like meats, eggs etc have "use by" where you shouldnt eat thereafter. So I would have been wary though with anything with meat in like your frozen spag bol....are you sure it was best before, not use by...?
    Single working mummy to 3 year old cheeky monkey DFD: July 2016 - Tesco Loan 14,000 13,490 / Owe dad (500450 / Very account 7060 / Overdraft 270 = Total (Jul11 14,940 Now 14,300 (Paid off 670) Need to lose 14lb (3/14) (currently 11st12 11st9) Deseparately need a holiday for 2012 (0/1000) - Car Fund (0/1500) - Christmas Savings (70)

• thatguy1
    • By thatguy1 30th Dec 10, 9:07 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 23,014 Thanks
    thatguy1
    • 30th Dec 10, 9:07 PM
    • 30th Dec 10, 9:07 PM
    You should have taken him for a walk around his shop showing him all the out of date stuff he's got
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 31-12-2010 at 3:49 PM.
    • poohspals
    • By poohspals 30th Dec 10, 10:34 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    poohspals
    • 30th Dec 10, 10:34 PM
    • 30th Dec 10, 10:34 PM
    I think that they have a legal obligation to make the buyers aware that the product is after its date.
    No clutter to be seen: 119/2016
    January Grocery Challenge: 229.05/400
    Debt Busting: 5512.09 to go.
  • EltonJohnFan
    Thanks everyone for the information I needed. I've decided to just let this go and won't be using that particular store anymore.
    • fruitcake
    • By fruitcake 31st Dec 10, 10:47 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    fruitcake
    I find out of date products in supermarkets all the time, only yesterday I found a crate of eggs that were use by 22 Dec, when bringing it to the "manager's attention" he shrugged his shoulders and did nothing that was a tesco, and have found chocolates that were three months past their best as well as cereal foods a year out of date!

I am a bargain hunter and have very sharp eyes and find it easy to spot, but the attitude of the supermarkets differ, some staff are thankful and are quick to correct their mistake, while some staff could give a ......
    all in all, as far as I have been told, a supermarket can be fined up to 2000 for selling an out of date item, but am not sure how accurate this is.
  • gilligansyle
    If it wasn't for 'Best Before' dates, then sites like Approved Foods, wouldn't do any business, and no one would ever get any bargains.
    Even on frozen food, its only a guideline to the taste/flavour quality, it won't do you any harm.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages 128497 - non mortgage 27497 Debt now 114150109032 85407 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • SnowBelle
    I have a large Co-Op near me,two weeks ago I picked up some Mince Pies when I went to the till the girl scanned them and said they were out of date by one day,she said the till automatically flags it up.
    She called the supervisor over and offered me new ones, I said not to worry can I have those a bit cheaper.
    The supervisor said sorry they have to go.

Do other stores have this 'flag' system or is it relatively new?
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 1st Jan 11, 6:40 PM
    • 8,380 Posts
    • 5,947 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    I have a large Co-Op near me,two weeks ago I picked up some Mince Pies when I went to the till the girl scanned them and said they were out of date by one day,she said the till automatically flags it up.
    She called the supervisor over and offered me new ones, I said not to worry can I have those a bit cheaper.

Originally posted by SnowBelle
    1 - surely mince pies have a "best before" date, not "eat by"?

2 - the tills could only flag up out of date items if the bar code included a date as well as a price in the coding - perhaps there is an alert to check the date rather than that the till would actually do that

3 - what a waste if they really threw them out when they were edible - and they had a purchaser lined up
    • juno
    • By juno 1st Jan 11, 6:57 PM
    • 6,361 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    juno

Originally posted by SnowBelle
    I explained the system in a different thread. Basically if something is reduced with an orange sticker, the person doing the reduction has to choose the reason (ie short dated or damaged) and can then input the best before date. This information is included in the barcode so that the till will flag it up. However, it does rely on the person choosing the right reason and then also selecting the right date.
    Sealed pot challenge #377
    Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
    2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
  • Zeddy
    I realised today that I had picked up and bought yesterday some ham which had a use by date of 29th Dec, so two days before I bought the ham. I emailed Sainsburys this afternoon who within 20mins had apologised greatly and put 5 worth of nectar points on my card.
  • ultimatestirrer
    Use By Dates
    Selling goods past their use dates is an offence and is one of strict liability. I always buy them if I can, call environmental health and then let the supermarket know I have done this as well.

You can then have grounds to sue and make some money, however this only applies to 'use by' and not best before or sell by.

Use by goods are perishable items such as diary products
  • bribrian
    Selling goods past their use dates is an offence and is one of strict liability. I always buy them if I can, call environmental health and then let the supermarket know I have done this as well.

You can then have grounds to sue and make some money, however this only applies to 'use by' and not best before or sell by.

Use by goods are perishable items such as diary products
    Originally posted by ultimatestirrer
    Lol... some people have too much time on their hands...
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
    • tealady
    • By tealady 2nd Jan 11, 6:24 AM
    • 2,565 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    tealady
    I think that they have a legal obligation to make the buyers aware that the product is after its date.
    Originally posted by poohspals
    No they don't. Its a case of Caveat Emptor as the shop is not breaking the law in the case of best before dates.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
  • embo70
    at our Spar, if you take something to the till thats out of date they will not sell it to you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

2,297Users online

Martin's Twitter