🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Warning about property from 1st Jan 2011...

Options
debt_doctor
debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 December 2010 at 2:52PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hi all,

The Insolvency Service are amending the way property is dealt with in BR. (Thanks to fatbelly who alerted me to something going on, but not sure what it was)

I have a document in front of me from an 'insolvency friend' that says property, even in neg equity, shall not be disposed of (ie dealt with by the IS) until 2 years and 3 months, were it will be re visited.They appear to be hoping that a property will rise in value during this time.

This is to be 'the norm' but with discretion if the property also has further charges after the mortgage.

There are other other issues too (some helpful, re not requiring an 'official valuation' in some cases)

I'll pass it to Fermi to get it posted up asap.

DD
Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Thanks DD. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you (again)
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • tommo2007
    Options
    Thanks again! Will this be for people declared bankrupt after that date or , for example, myself - declared bankrupt December?

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    I wish they'd stop changing things at such short notice!!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tommo2007 wrote: »
    Thanks again! Will this be for people declared bankrupt after that date or , for example, myself - declared bankrupt December?

It appears that any negative equity property that has not already had the ben interest costs (£1 plus OR's fees) paid by 1st Jan, will be subject to the new rules.

The date of bankruptcy seems irrelevent.

DD
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 22 December 2010 at 10:29PM
    Options
    Excuse any typos.
    December 2010

Following consideration by the Directing Board, the way in which the family home in bankruptcy is to be dealt with has been amended. These changes should be put into effect for all cases from 1st January 2011, except where a property conveyancing transaction has been commenced in cases involving negative equity where the £1 consideration and the official receiver's conveyancing costs have been paid by the intended purchaser. Such cases should proceed to a conclusion without regard to this amended procedure.

The official receiver, as trustee of the bankruptcy estate, should no longer seek to dispose of a bankrupt's interest in a jointly or solely owned family home, as defined by section 283A of the Insolvency Act 1986, under the Property Conveyancing Scheme, prior to two years and three months from the making of the bankruptcy order, unless, an offer is received for a value which is clearly in the interest of creditors to accept. In practice this is likely to be for an amount which exceeds £1,000. In consequence, there will be no further sales of beneficial interests at nominal values.

Except as indicated above, in the period of the first two years and three months of a case, the property conveyancing scheme should not be used to dispose of bankrupts' beneficial interests in family homes.

Initial actions

Unless from the outset there appears to be sufficient equity to seek the appointment of an insolvency practitioner (the amount is not set at any particular level and would vary depending on local and general circumstances), the official receiver should no longer obtain a valuation of the property to confirm the debtor's estimate, or, seek confirmation as to the precise amounts of any charges against the property. It is reasonable to rely on any such information received on an unsolicited basis.

Transfer to RTLU

Where the equity in a property is insufficient to attract an insolvency practitioner to act as the trustee of a bankruptcy estate, the case should be transferred to the relevant RTLU.

Where there is equity and a willing purchaser is available, the realisation of the property interest is not likely to be protracted and it is clearly in the interests of creditors (see above), the case should also be transferred to the RTLU which will pursue the matter under the Property Conveyancing Scheme.

At two years and three months.

The case review should commence at the two years thee months stage (usually carried out by the RTLU).

In cases where at two years three months the bankrupts interest in the property is valued at less than £1,000 steps will be taken to re-vest the property interest in the bankrupt.

Otherwise, if, at the review stage. there is insufficient equity to attract an insolvency practitioner to act as the trustee of a bankruptcy estate, enquiries should be made as to whether the bankrupt or a third party would be interested in purchasing the bankrupt's interest, that is if it is believed or expected that the property interest is worth more than £1,000. If it is not possible to transfer the interest, and the bankrupt’s interest is valued in excess of £1,000, the official receiver should consider applying for a charging order.

Following the review, if there is equity in the property which is sufficient to attract an insolvency practitioner to act as the trustee of a bankruptcy estate, and where the official receiver is not aware of any willing purchaser, a Secretary of State appointment of an IP trustee should be sought.

Early Re-vesting

The official receiver will have the discretion to effect an early re-vesting of the property back to the bankrupt in the following tightly constrained circumstances.
    1. At the outset of the bankruptcy where the property is in negative equity and there are second or further charges such that the official receiver, as trustee, can determine that there is no reasonable prospect of a surplus becoming available from the property within the three year period.

2. Properties in negative equity where there are no second or subsequent charges but where the official receiver, as trustee, determines there is no reasonable prospect of a surplus becoming available in the three year period. This discretion may only be exercised on a case by case basis with the approval of the regional director.

3. Where a request is received from the bankrupt to deal with the property prior to the 2 year 3 month review on the basis of a disability (either direct or by association). This discretion must only be exercised by the official receiver on a case by case basis. Similar provision should be considered for requests based upon caring responsibilities (including pregnancy/maternity) and age (65+) where the uncertainty could lead to mental health related concerns.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • BB&B
    BB&B Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    LOL you just beat me on one of them!!

Tim
    I Also Post On Other Forums

My advice is guidance only, if you want the law then consult a lawyer
    Please note that I DO NOT give advice by Private Message, this is to protect both you and me. However you can draw my attention to a particular topic by PM
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    ......and there you have it - many thanks Fermi for tranforming the document.

I am very worried that the IS 'directing board', (must find out more about them) are making serious decisions without notice which surely should come under more, prior scrutiny - what next?

DD
  • kyronsmummy
    Options
    Thank you for the info. Can anyone tell me what re-vesting means?
    Drowning in Debt - £42,074.03:

Loan £12,000; CC £10,658.40;
    Loan £6,780; CC £5,400;
    CC £5,600; Store £1,035.63; OD £600
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Thank you for the info. Can anyone tell me what re-vesting means?

Hi, yes,

When you go BR any property automatically 'vests in the trustee', which means it doesnt belong to the BR person any more, it belongs to the Insolvency Service.

Re vesting means that the property belongs to the BR person once again, ie the Insolvency service no longer have claim to it.

DD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport