Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning > early retirement & job seekers allowance (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
early retirement & job seekers allowance
Closed Thread
Views: 16,472
# 1
maypole
Old 27-10-2006, 6:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cool early retirement & job seekers allowance

Hello there

My husband is taking early retirement at age 56 from the civil service. He will get a lump sum and an annual pension.

He will sign on the dole to get his NI contributions paid until state pension age, but will he get jobseekers allowance and will he be able to claim for me, his wife. He has worked for 38 years.

Thank you

Maypole
The Following User Says Thank You to maypole For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
nearlyrich
Old 27-10-2006, 6:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The occupational pension will probably wipe out the JSA as I understand it's means tested now.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
# 3
clear_blu
Old 27-10-2006, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maypole
He will sign on the dole to get his NI contributions paid until state pension age.
From age 60 he will receive credit for NI contributions without signing on.........bit extra 'lie in' for him..........
I have retired from a career in Financial Services........Thank God. Any advice given may be as a result of senile dementia so dont take it too seriously.......
# 4
maypole
Old 27-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello there

Thank you nearlyrich, not such good news!

Thank you Clear_ Blu, that is better news!

Best wishes from maypole.
# 5
Bossyboots
Old 27-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

There is information here http://www.direct.gov.uk/Bfsl1/Benef...757&chk=A1h/Ux on JSA and the figures. If I have understood it correctly, he may get contribution based JSA but I agree that his pension will take him out of the ambit of income-based JSA which is the one that appears to be means tested.
# 6
nearlyrich
Old 27-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I was going off my OH's experiencewhen he took early retirement with a company pension, I am still working but even without any info about my earnings he didn't qualify for any JSA.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
# 7
Bossyboots
Old 28-10-2006, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlyrich
I was going off my OH's experiencewhen he took early retirement with a company pension, I am still working but even without any info about my earnings he didn't qualify for any JSA.

You may be right though and I may have misunderstood it. As far as I could see it only mentions income being relevant under the heading of income-based JSA but it is not particularly well written so I am not entirely sure. No doubt someone will be on the forums later who can clarify.
# 8
Optimist
Old 28-10-2006, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maypole
Hello there

My husband is taking early retirement at age 56 from the civil service. He will get a lump sum and an annual pension.

He will sign on the dole to get his NI contributions paid until state pension age, but will he get jobseekers allowance and will he be able to claim for me, his wife. He has worked for 38 years.

Thank you

Maypole

I thanked you and intended to hit the quote button.Doh!

From personal experience I think you will find you get no JSA at all. I would also suggest you get a pension forecast from http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ You will possibly find that taking into account the credit from 60 your husband will have sufficient credit and will have no need to sign on at all. Also note that the government are planning on putting new laws into place that only require 30 years contributions to be eligible for the basic state pension. Currently 39 for women and 44 for men.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
# 9
MABLE
Old 28-10-2006, 8:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist
I thanked you and intended to hit the quote button.Doh!

From personal experience I think you will find you get no JSA at all. I would also suggest you get a pension forecast from http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ You will possibly find that taking into account the credit from 60 your husband will have sufficient credit and will have no need to sign on at all. Also note that the government are planning on putting new laws into place that only require 30 years contributions to be eligible for the basic state pension. Currently 39 for women and 44 for men.
If this new laws comes into being and you have sufficient contributions could this mean then you would not pay any more NI contributions.
The day of financial judgement has now arrived.
# 10
maypole
Old 28-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello there

Thank you all for your excellent replies, this is a great site for getting info. I will check with the DWP

Best wishes

Maypole
# 11
mobilegossip
Old 28-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does say in the small print,on Jobseekers allowance.

"Your payments might be reduced if you're getting a pension of more than £50 a week, or delayed if you're getting final payments from your last job."
# 12
Optimist
Old 28-10-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABLE
If this new laws comes into being and you have sufficient contributions could this mean then you would not pay any more NI contributions.
If your working you pay NI irrespective !
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
# 13
clear_blu
Old 28-10-2006, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlyrich
I was going off my OH's experience when he took early retirement with a company pension.
I can confirm this..........I took early retirement and was informed that I could receive up to £50 per week company pension without affecting JSA.
Above that amount the JSA allowable is reduced £1 for £1.
Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately I didn't qualify for any........
I have retired from a career in Financial Services........Thank God. Any advice given may be as a result of senile dementia so dont take it too seriously.......
# 14
maypole
Old 28-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cool early retiement & job seekers allowance

Thank you all for your posts. He won't get any JS Allowance. Too much pension. Good thing in one way I suppose.

Thanks again
# 15
rotate
Old 30-10-2006, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear_blu
From age 60 he will receive credit for NI contributions without signing on.........bit extra 'lie in' for him..........
How does this work.Do you have to register as unemployed or is it completely automatic. Thanks
# 16
clear_blu
Old 30-10-2006, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotate
How does this work.Do you have to register as unemployed or is it completely automatic. Thanks
As far as I know it's automatic.........but just in case I phoned the job centre and they confirmed that from 60 to 65 contributions were automatically creditted.
# 17
ReportInvestor
Old 30-10-2006, 7:55 PM

This thread sums up the state employee v private employee/taxpayer issue that is going to be headline news in the next decade.

State employees 3 : 0 others
# 18
kenshaz
Old 30-10-2006, 8:16 PM

Location: born in Lancashire worked in Northamptonshire reside in Cheshire

Far better to have your pension ,and no JSA,then you can hold your head up proud,no need to visit the job centre and let some government employee patronize you.
To be happy you need to make someone happy.

Last edited by kenshaz; 01-11-2006 at 3:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenshaz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
emptynester
Old 01-11-2006, 2:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Red face Early retirement and JSA

HI there

My hubby retired in October 05 with a final salary pension; he was 51 but had to go as he had served his 30 years. He tried to sign on but could only get his national insurance contributions paid. He was told he did not qualify for job seekers allowance as he would be in receipt of an occupational pension.

Can only speak for our local Job Centre Plus, but he was treated like an idiot; even though he was only getting his NI paid he still had to sign a job seekers contract and report for signing on each fortnight. One week he was 10 mins late owing to parking problems and was told that if he was late again they would sign him off!

Luckily he has now found a part time job, he tried full time but the amount of tax he had to pay was astronomical as he is still paying PAYE on his pension which means the Inland Revenue count any other employment as a second income and therefore he is on Basic Rate deductions (ouch!)

Taxed to the hilt, first on his salary, now on his pension and finally on his now part time earnings - is it fair ?

So much for being good and contributing to a pension.
# 20
Grumpy old git
Old 01-11-2006, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Location: An average village which is slowly being overdeveloped badly

Hello, a couple of years ago I was in the situation of signing on just for my stamp (already have a private pension). The because I did a job for a friend (15 hours) I though best to declare it (best thing I ever did), however the forms I had to fill in were onerous and did not relate to the type of job I had done which was self employed (the forms assume a regular hourly rate). I was told I'd have to go self employed and pay my own stamp, this I duly did, the cost of the stamps worked out to about £4.20 a fortnight (I was signing on once a fortnight) and was cheaper than bussing or driving in to sign on.
I now work when I want, for whome I want, doing what I want. What I earn provides enough to keep (just) my kids in further education - hopefully when they are self sufficient I will be too with just my pension - here's hoping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy old git For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread