Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Quick! Grabbit while you can > It's Gone, but was it any good? > PC World price promise ,match price + 10% (dsi po... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PC World price promise ,match price + 10% (dsi poss under £80 help please)
Closed Thread
Views: 3,420
# 1
robstersgirl
Old 21-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default PC World price promise ,match price + 10% (dsi poss under £80 help please)

So I've seen the pcworld price promise so eg if I showed them the sainsburys price for the dsi ,would they take an extra ten percent off ,taking it to under £84.37 also I have a pc world £5 voucher from the other thread (ta op )which theoretically would take it down to £79.37
Would this work ,or rather how would this work ?
Thanks in advance.
MSE- The Glitchhikers guide to the galaxy
# 2
claire21
Old 21-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

off to bed now but theres a thread I read on hukd about this deal if you can find it
# 3
Mammy_of_4_boys
Old 21-11-2010, 11:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

oooo....I am curious about this as well. DS has just sprung it on me he would like a DSi XL and I was going to get in on Wednesday at Sainsbury's....if they still had them, but if PC World are doing the price promise thing it would make it under £100....which is TOTALLY fantastic.
# 4
Anon
Old 21-11-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robstersgirl View Post
would they take an extra ten percent off
Isn't their price promise 10% of the difference? Also needs to be in stock:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/Price-...875-theme.html

Anon
# 5
imsraj
Old 21-11-2010, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

they do the same price promise as currys. price much and 10% off the difference. for example dsi at pc world is £110 and in sainsburys £94 the difference is £16. therefore that 10% difference is £1.60, so ur total price for dsi should be around £92 ish. by the way they dont accept the £5 voucher when u ask them for 10% difference. so to get more off the price dont ask for the 10%, just ask them to beat the price them give them the £5 voucher which takes another £5 off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imsraj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
oldnfrumpy
Old 22-11-2010, 12:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It has to be an identical product that is in stock too (i.e. if it's a bundle it will have to be the same deal) and it has to be within so many miles of the other store, they will call them and check it's available to buy and take away that day too so it's best you check yourself 1st. And as already mentioned it will only be 10% of the difference and not 10% off the price and can not be used with any other offers.
# 7
robstersgirl
Old 22-11-2010, 12:31 AM

thanks very much for the replies reckon it's worth a shot day off Tuesday so will have a go I need 2 and I'll probably get one in Sainsburys then k can take that to pc world for them to price match and for me to *try* and use my voucher
thanks to everyone who pointed out it's ten per cent of the difference wouldn't have thought of that
# 8
debbieblues1
Old 22-11-2010, 8:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i tried this the other day with the black wii, selling for £179.99 in currys/pc world, so £60 saving in sainsburys, they werent impressed at all, and i didnt end up getting it, they had no manager in, and he needed to confirm the price as it was such a big difference lol
I spent too much time on facebook, so deleted it !!!
Found a new hobby!!!
Just sooo expensive and time consuming
CHEERS GUYS !!!!!!
# 9
scrimpandsave
Old 27-11-2010, 9:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Price Promise

Hi all,
I've just been a tad unlucky with PC World and wanted some advice. I bought a laptop at the close of business on Wed night. I traded in my laptop and got £50 off which was great, but first thing thursday they introduced £100 trade in if you buy a laptop over £500, which mine is and then to make it worse lowered the laptop by £25. My question is really, will they price match themselves? sounds so stupid doesn't it? but the person offering the better deal is them!! just days after. It's not been 7 days yet and I'll be prepared to go in tomorrow to talk about it, but I'm really sad about it as that's £75 difference!
# 10
dobsoncrew
Old 28-11-2010, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimpandsave View Post
Hi all,
I've just been a tad unlucky with PC World and wanted some advice. I bought a laptop at the close of business on Wed night. I traded in my laptop and got £50 off which was great, but first thing thursday they introduced £100 trade in if you buy a laptop over £500, which mine is and then to make it worse lowered the laptop by £25. My question is really, will they price match themselves? sounds so stupid doesn't it? but the person offering the better deal is them!! just days after. It's not been 7 days yet and I'll be prepared to go in tomorrow to talk about it, but I'm really sad about it as that's £75 difference!
You Can only try
The Following User Says Thank You to dobsoncrew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
robstersgirl
Old 28-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
it would be a good will gesture if they did refund the difference , you could try taking it back though as you're entitled to as they have your laptop they would surely have to give you the new price on your new purchase not sure how it works with trade in , but I'd definitely give it a try .
The Following User Says Thank You to robstersgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Shimrod
Old 28-11-2010, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Hi all,
As others have said you can only try. Argos did refund me £40 difference on a fridge/freezer which had dropped in price the day after I ordered it, so some companies will do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shimrod For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jandrewcrook
Old 28-11-2010, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

where are you all finding ds, dsi etc at that price for sainsburys...tried the website and nothing comes up?
Could somebody point me in the right direction please.
# 14
chrisiow
Old 28-11-2010, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I got pcworld to price match sainsburys on a dsi-xl, I phoned around to find a sainsburys with stock within 30 miles and took a copy of the sainsburys price page(link below), they didn't bother phoning sainsburys and did it for £105.12 with a free venom safety pack.
http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/index.a...10&NewsID=1417
# 15
abjem21
Old 28-11-2010, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Hi all,
It can't do any harm to try, just remember you are not actually entitled to a refund, so be the nicest most polite person you can be to stand the best chance of getting the person serving you on your side. If you get angry and lose your temper you are very very unlikely to get what you want. Trust me, I work in a shop.
To anyone that tells you "There is no I in team" say no there isn't, but there ARE TWO I'S IN COMMISSION and I dont get paid "Team".....................
Fient Heart, Fare Maiden, Never Juan.
The Following User Says Thank You to abjem21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Mammy_of_4_boys
Old 28-11-2010, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I decided just to get the DSi XL at Sainbury's as they also had a Samsung Blu Ray player I wanted marked down to £99 and I had a voucher for double points for purchases over £30, so instead of the hassle I made the one trip, got 2 Christmas gifts and nearly 2000 nectar points.
# 17
scrimpandsave
Old 28-11-2010, 5:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjem21 View Post
It can't do any harm to try, just remember you are not actually entitled to a refund, so be the nicest most polite person you can be to stand the best chance of getting the person serving you on your side. If you get angry and lose your temper you are very very unlikely to get what you want. Trust me, I work in a shop.
I worked in a shop too until last month, I still work in a customer facing environment now so I know not to kick off because it's not nice, the person you kick off at is never the problem, we don't write the rules for the stores, we just get min wage to be shouted at about them
Thanks to all for the advice, I did get my £25 difference, but not the laptop trade in price as I'd already sort of gathered for myself. I agree with their reasoning that I took the deal on in store that day, and to be fair to them there's not really any POS to suggest the deal is different at all, it only came to my attention on this site (currently to the right of this page) As I've posted previously, what upset me was on the night I traded in the sales man said that I'd not get a better trade in deal than that, that I'd not even get that price for the laptop privately now, only to have it confirmed by the sales man today that there's every chance he'd have known by the next day the deal would be better. They're just doing their job at the end of the day and maximising the sale, but can't help but feel aggitated in a way I just wouldn't be if he'd not said I was getting a good deal if that makes sense. Hey ho, £25 back is a great bonus!
The Following User Says Thank You to scrimpandsave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread