Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Discount Newspaper Subscriptions (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Discount Newspaper Subscriptions
Closed Thread
Views: 6,993
# 1
WOW Factor 0
copper1982
Old 16-11-2010, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Discount Newspaper Subscriptions

I have contributed to a previous thread or two on this subject, but thought I would start a new one to see if anyone has any bargains they can share?

I've been offered the Times at 3.50 a week for 12 weeks and then going onto 6quid a week. (with times plus/access to the websites etc)

Cheapest i've found for the Guardian is £284 for a year (cheaper than the £308 from the Guardian themselves). This is from Unique Magazines Newspaper Subscriptions website.

The Telegraph recently emailed an offer for me to come back to them for £4.20 a week. (i declined). I think the subscription normally is about 6quid a week like the Times now.

I must say I am missing a daily paper, especially as I commute to work by train. But the cost is a little excessive in most cases. And the Metro really doesn't cut the mustard.

Anyone else got any thoughts / experiences of subscribing?
# 2
dunholme
Old 16-11-2010, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I had the same problem and found £6 a week too expensive for what you get. However I've found the new newspaper "i" (slimmed down Independent) at 20p a day a good substitute and it is considerably better than the Metro.
It also saves all the hassle of trying to find the best subscription deal, and, if I may get on my soap-box, sends a message to the others that they are just too expensive - or perhaps they wouldn't be so expensive if they got rid of their subscriptions department and all those supplements.

Last edited by dunholme; 16-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
# 3
copper1982
Old 16-11-2010, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've bought the "I" paper a few times. It is ok, though I don't like the short articles.
# 4
MrsHoneybun
Old 16-11-2010, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Newspaper subscriptions

I think the £3.50 a week offer you're talking about is this one: http://www.newspaper-subscriptions.c...imes-newspaper which is the best I've found as well. (They did one that was a quid a week when they launched but I haven't seen it since)

I agree it would be nice if the Guardian did a monthly offer rather than a full year one!
If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.
# 5
copper1982
Old 16-11-2010, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sadly I don't think the Guardian are interested in subscriptions. Bit of a shame really.
# 6
copper1982
Old 19-11-2010, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I see WHSmiths are giving out a voucher for the Telegraph - £91.40 for 90 days. Can't quite see the benefit really.
# 7
jaymac
Old 19-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My OH and I take it in turns to get the Times on the £3.50 offer. We've been doing it all year and the only problem we have is they now send us two copies of the travel magazine.
# 8
richardw
Old 20-11-2010, 2:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper1982 View Post
Sadly I don't think the Guardian are interested in subscriptions. Bit of a shame really.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/subscriber...scriber-direct
The Following User Says Thank You to richardw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
moyesy
Old 21-11-2010, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Newspaper Subscriptions

I have a Telegraph subscription which is about to send.

I received a phone call from the Times offering me a subscription at £3.50 per week. Now they tell me it will be £6.00 per week unless I can find a subscription code.

Unforttunately I can't find the email with the code. i can't justify £6.00 per week and may go back to the Telegraph.

Can anyone either give me a code or quote the current rate that the Telegraph are offering.

I must say I find it a bit like train tickets ie different prices for the same product.

All comments welcome
# 10
dunholme
Old 23-11-2010, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The new "i" now offers a subscription package. It is £20 for six months or £35 for the whole year. Advert in today's paper states call 0800 953 3009 and you'll have the pre-paid vouchers by Christmas (the ad was aimed at giving the vouchers as a present).
The Following User Says Thank You to dunholme For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
copper1982
Old 27-11-2010, 10:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

richardw - I think we meant that the Guardian aren't interested in being competitive regarding the price of subscriptions.

moyesy - are you looking for a code for the times? If so if you google Times Ocado offer you can get the 3.50 for 12 weeks if that is what you are looking for?

Interesting that "i" are doing a subscription now.
# 12
Sunny Saver
Old 28-11-2010, 7:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
richardw - I think we meant that the Guardian aren't interested in being competitive regarding the price of subscriptions.

moyesy - are you looking for a code for the times? If so if you google Times Ocado offer you can get the 3.50 for 12 weeks if that is what you are looking for?

Interesting that "i" are doing a subscription now.
Hello Copper1982

I tried googling as you stated above, but all I found was this expired offer:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/25-o...bscribe/342562

Can you send the current link please?

Thanks for your help!

SS
# 13
copper1982
Old 28-11-2010, 7:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

https://subscriptions.timesplus.co.uk/ocadopage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to copper1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
londinium
Old 30-11-2010, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunholme View Post
The new "i" now offers a subscription package. It is £20 for six months or £35 for the whole year. Advert in today's paper states call 0800 953 3009 and you'll have the pre-paid vouchers by Christmas (the ad was aimed at giving the vouchers as a present).

This offer closes on 10 December.

T&C: i is available for six months (Jan-June 2011) at the discounted rate of £20; or twelve months (Jan - Dec 2011) for just £35. Payment will be taken by credit card. Vouchers will be posted to you on or around 16 December, to arrive in time for Christmas. You may exchange your pre-paid voucher each day for your copy of i at any newsagent.

ivouchers@independent.co.uk
# 15
dbrookf
Old 26-03-2011, 5:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Can anyone access this site - I keep getting an error message but don't know if it's my computer or not...
# 16
copper1982
Old 26-03-2011, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I think you will find the offer has finished now. Sorry.
# 17
dbrookf
Old 26-03-2011, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I think you will find the offer has finished now. Sorry.
Thanks for your reply - would you mind trying that link for me and telling me what you get? It comes up with ''certificate error'' and I think that might be a computer problem for me... Thx!
# 18
JAG
Old 26-03-2011, 7:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrookf View Post
Thanks for your reply - would you mind trying that link for me and telling me what you get? It comes up with ''certificate error'' and I think that might be a computer problem for me... Thx!
I have opened the link and the page load O.K. for me.

Try The Times and The Sunday Times and save £5.20 a week

Ocado customers can enjoy a special discount from The Times and The Sunday Times when they take out a subscription to the papers.
Subscribe for 7-days a week and enjoy your first 12 weeks papers for just £3.50 – that’s a 60% saving on the cover price. After your first 12 weeks you can continue to save by getting a minimum of 25% off the cover price of your papers, paying just £6 a week.
# 19
dbrookf
Old 26-03-2011, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I have opened the link and the page load O.K. for me.

Try The Times and The Sunday Times and save £5.20 a week

Ocado customers can enjoy a special discount from The Times and The Sunday Times when they take out a subscription to the papers.
Subscribe for 7-days a week and enjoy your first 12 weeks papers for just £3.50 – that’s a 60% saving on the cover price. After your first 12 weeks you can continue to save by getting a minimum of 25% off the cover price of your papers, paying just £6 a week.
Thanks a lot! I knew I had a glitch on my computer... thanks again.
# 20
pitersmith
Old 27-03-2011, 6:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Most of the members gave you a lot of useful solution. I will ask you to try "Sunday Times".
Closed Thread