Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Finding a job after being a SAHM for 20+ years (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Finding a job after being a SAHM for 20+ years
Closed Thread
Views: 1,072
# 1
Madmonk
Old 11-10-2010, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Finding a job after being a SAHM for 20+ years

As the title says I'm hoping to get back into work after being at home for the last 20+ years but I haven't got a clue where to start. Most part-time jobs I've looked at want references and the 2 companies I worked for before having my children have both stopped trading! So where do I start?

MM
# 2
MrsManda
Old 11-10-2010, 7:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

What about doing some volunteering at your local charity shop/playscheme/school?
You could learn new skills, be able to show a potential employer that you're capable of working regular hours and get you some recent references.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsManda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Savvy_Sue
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The other source of references is your current network. Have you helped out at school? Then it's the teacher / head / chair of PTA. Do you go to church? It's the vicar / minister. Are any of your neighbours on friendly terms and professionals?

These will mostly be character references, but if you haven't got employment references these are the next best thing.

Remember that generally an employer is just trying to check that you HAVE been a SAHM rather than in prison for that period.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 4
Firebird
Old 12-10-2010, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Madmonk,
I know the feeling, I have stayed home with my children for the past 14 years but am not needed quite so much and am looking to get back into employment and like you don't know where to start. Places I worked before no longer exist. Moved a few years ago and neighbours keep to themselves annd I am very much "out of the loop".
I will watch with interest for all advice and ideas going.
# 5
Raksha
Old 12-10-2010, 5:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I started by doing Mystery Shopping on both an S/E and PAYE basis. I also did the books for my OH's business, then started taking on some merchandising jobs as well as other S/E jobs. Eventually I couldn't work enough hours because of family commitments, so registered with an employment agency (I have a wide range of accounting and customer service skills). I spent about 6 months 'temping' (most companies were pleased to find a temp whose first language was English) before being offered a perm place at one of the companies I was temping with.

Good luck - remember being a SAHM needs it's own set of skills which are transferable and often in demand.
Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
Closed Thread