left shopping in car

WaxiesDargle
WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
edited 12 October 2010 at 4:40PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi

did something stupid yesterday and left a bag of shopping on the rear seat of my car and didn't bring it in the house!!

it was in my car from about 1pm yesterday to 3.30 today so over 24 hours

I had stir fry chicken pieces and minced beef in there...is it destined to be thrown away?

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I wouldnt be eating it Im afraid.

Do you know any dog or cat owners who would have it. (so its at least not wasted)
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    yes...could do that cheers
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    If it's not ok for us, is it ok for dogs and cats? I don't give my cats anything I wouldn't eat myself. I'm talking human food, obviously!
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • zyxd58
    zyxd58 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Just shove it in the freezer and microwave cook it(kills all bacteria), you can add it to a stir fry straight after, done this lots of times :eek:
    1: Lloyds Loan: 1900/0 --- 2: Lloyds CrCa: 700/800 --- 3: Lloyds OveD: 500/0 --- 4: BoS OveD: 500/0 --- 5: Clydesdale OveD: 500/0 All overdraught facilities cancelled
  • skintbint_2
    skintbint_2 Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    would be wary of the chicken, but just make sure you boil the mince
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Just cook the chicken and freeze in a jar of curry sauce, and do the mince as a bolognaise and freeze that.
  • out of fridge or freezer, unless you want head down toilet then throw away and certainly wouldnt be feeding off food to an animal either, neightbours wont be happy at the upset tummy results!!
    Each to there own tho!!
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,605
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are factors to take into account:-

What were the conditons in the car like?
    Are you in one of the areas who are having a warm weekend or in the cold miserable north east of England like me?
    Were the meats in sealed packs from a supermarket or just pastic bags from a local butcher?

In the days before fridges people kept their meat in larders (just cooler rooms in their houses) so I wouldn't panic, use your nose.
    Does the meat smell horrible? If yes then throw it away, if not then cook it in something that goes to a high temperature.
  • MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Chicken, no that's too long. The beef might be okay (good beef is hung for much longer), depending on how old it was when they minced it (meat is sometimes recycled in supermarkets), and how warm it got.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure