Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > MoneySavers Arms > The Money Savers Arms > Job application form - reason for leaving. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Job application form - reason for leaving.
Closed Thread
Views: 9,013
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Wkdwill
Old 27-08-2010, 1:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 818
Default Job application form - reason for leaving.

Im filling in an application form and cant for the life of me think of a good reason for leaving, not because the job is great but because I cant really put the actual reasons for leaving.

I dont think me putting the manager is useless and the pay is rubbish, is something that would go down very well on an application form really.

Arghhh my minds gone blank.
Wkdwill is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wkdwill For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
aliadds
Old 27-08-2010, 1:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 25,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkdwill View Post
Im filling in an application form and cant for the life of me think of a good reason for leaving, not because the job is great but because I cant really put the actual reasons for leaving.

I dont think me putting the manager is useless and the pay is rubbish, is something that would go down very well on an application form really.

Arghhh my minds gone blank.
I felt that I wasn't able to reach my full potential in that particular job!
Less is more
aliadds is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aliadds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
fluffnutter
Old 27-08-2010, 2:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On the left
Posts: 21,549
Default

If you're leaving a company because your manager is rubbish and you're undervalued (which is going to be one of the main reasons quite frankly) then, I agree, presenting your potential new employer with something so negative might not reflect well on you.

Just say that you're interested in new opportunities. This is particularly credible if you've been in your present role for some years. Everyone gets a bit stale if they work at the same place for a long time. Fancying a change so that you're reinvigorated and feel enthusiastic about working again is no bad thing and will be perfectly acceptable to a new employer.
"Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
fluffnutter is offline
Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fluffnutter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
LandyAndy
Old 27-08-2010, 2:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fordingbridge, Hampshire
Posts: 22,730
Default

Career advancement.
LandyAndy is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
WestonDave
Old 27-08-2010, 2:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,528
Default

Looking for a new challenge.
Adventure before Dementia!
WestonDave is online now
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WestonDave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
LimeLight
Old 27-08-2010, 2:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 7,654
Default

political differences.
For Sale

A Blackberry on Orange.
See avatar..

LimeLight is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LimeLight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
whu
Old 27-08-2010, 2:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,727
Default

I was caught giving my bosses secretary one on his desk and she happened to be his wife!!!
Keep the Faith
whu is offline
Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Oblivion
Old 27-08-2010, 2:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Little Britain
Posts: 14,814
Default

"Cos me last boss, Mr Gropeworthy, was a complete barsteward ... always touching me up at the coffee machine, making lewd suggestions, making me stay late to sit on his lap for dictation, taking me off to conferences and insisting we share a room ... you get the picture .................. sorry, what? ..................... oh, isn't it a small world Mrs Gropeworthy"
... Dave
Happily retired and enjoying my 8th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Oblivion is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblivion For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Outer Limits
Old 27-08-2010, 2:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Default

Because I'm really interested in doing X... something that the new job will involve.
Outer Limits is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outer Limits For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
aliadds
Old 27-08-2010, 2:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 25,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whu View Post
I was caught giving my bosses secretary one on his desk and she happened to be his wife!!!
Did you get a rise for that whu?
Less is more
aliadds is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aliadds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
poorly scammo
Old 27-08-2010, 2:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chasing cats
Posts: 31,895
Default

"After (however) long in the job, I felt it was time to move on and explore different challenges and expand my horizons."

"I left due to personal reasons"

"I left due to study committments"

"professional growth"

Delete as applicable.
4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
poorly scammo is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poorly scammo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Oblivion
Old 27-08-2010, 2:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Little Britain
Posts: 14,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whu View Post
I was caught giving my bosses secretary one on his desk and she happened to be his wife!!!
I think you may have mis-read the requirements of the Performance Incentive Scheme whu
... Dave
Happily retired and enjoying my 8th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Oblivion is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblivion For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
whu
Old 27-08-2010, 2:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliadds View Post
Did you get a rise for that whu?
A big one thanks
Keep the Faith
whu is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
SnowyOwl
Old 27-08-2010, 2:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,080
Default

This is one of those situations where you need to give as short an answer as possible as well as saying something completely positive. The more you say the more questions they may ask. If you put something along the lines of "seeking new challenges" or "professional growth" that puts the spotlight on the actual work and sounds like you are looking to progress professionally. If you say something like "personal reasons" that sounds like you are covering up something. If you did leave for personal reasons then be more specific, eg if you left due to a family bereavement then say so, rather than leave it enigmatic.

SnowyOwl is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnowyOwl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
aliadds
Old 27-08-2010, 2:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 25,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whu View Post
A big one thanks
In both senses of the word I'm sure!
Less is more
aliadds is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to aliadds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
whu
Old 27-08-2010, 2:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I think you may have mis-read the requirements of the Performance Incentive Scheme whu
Keep the Faith
whu is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
whu
Old 27-08-2010, 2:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer Limits View Post
Because I'm really interested in doing X... something that the new job will involve.
ie shag the interviewer
Keep the Faith
whu is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to whu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
ormus
Old 27-08-2010, 3:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bolton le moors
Posts: 40,867
Default

the salary wasnt commensurate with my skills.
Get some gorm.
ormus is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Oblivion
Old 27-08-2010, 3:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Little Britain
Posts: 14,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormus View Post
the salary wasnt commensurate with my skills.
.... or in the case of the McDonalds worker ....

"The calories weren't commensurate with my scales!"
... Dave
Happily retired and enjoying my 8th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Oblivion is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Oblivion For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
split second
Old 27-08-2010, 3:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: hanging around with jeff dunham
Posts: 2,679
Default

i put career advancement

i meant sick of being paid peanuts to be treated worse than a monkey
engaged 5/6/11

wedding- 5/7/14

a-c-phlegm
split second is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to split second For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 29 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • TAYLOR SWIFT1989 (DELUXE)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSBBC RADIO 1'S LIVE LOUNGE 2014
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.