Abyss's Mortgage-Free Journey

Options
Abyss
Abyss Posts: 51 Forumite
Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 26 August 2010 at 1:01AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi!

Been following the boards for a lonnnnng time, but not much of a poster! Have been overpaying and living frugally for quite some time, but decided to start a diary as I like thinking about our savings and achievements so far, and DH isn't as interested in hearing all about it as I am talking about it! He's very on-board though, but does leave the finances to me!
All input from you lot welcome! Thanks!

So, me: 36, DH: 34. First baby due in six weeks!!!

We have £53,750 left on the mortgage, we got lucky and are on a tracker so are benefiting from the low interest rates at the moment, and it's meant we've been able to massively overpay for many months, especially as I took on this mortgage on my own, before I met DH, and now we have his salary topping it up.

Mortgage is currently just under £600.
Household bills are about £400. I could probably get this down a bit - I haven't done the energy switch thing for a couple of years, for example.
We live frugally and very happily.

We've been overpaying an extra £1.5k-2k (occasionally more if DH gets a work bonus) a month since we got back from honeymoon at the start of this year, and making a huge dent in the mortgage, feels amazing. Have been being very frugal, despite impending parenthood and consequent new outgoings (pram, carseat etc!).

I am on a good maternity package from work, and draw a full salary for the first nine months, then three months unpaid, then on full pay again for what equates to two months due to accrued annual leave being tacked on the end. I am not planning on going back to work, but leaving it open as I do qualify for subsequent maternity packages if I get pregnant again within a certain timeframe. (Though the key reason to try for a second baby quickly is mainly my age, and that we'd like the children to be close in age, rather than the focus on the work/maternity pay package. But obviously that is an added incentive!).

My mortgage is due for renewal in February 2011, so the goal is to overpay now as much as possible, then we'll be in a decent position to renegotiate a new mortgage (though I expect we won't get as good a deal as we are currently on). If we have no major unforeseen outgoings between now and February, I have calculated that we should be down to £36k, on a property I am guessing is worth about £250k.

I can't see us staying in this property though once our child is toddling, and we'd need to upgrade (especially if we are blessed enough to get pregnant quickly with a second (and third!) child), so it's most likely we'll be taking on a new mortgage in a couple of years (goodbye newly-acquired MF status!), but it would be great to have paid this first one off. Ideally, we'll keep this property and rent it out, and move somewhere much cheaper (we're in £ondon), and the tenants will help pay for the new mortgage on the new property. I am getting carried away jabbering on about this dream: for now, the main focus is paying off as much as possible til February 2011, re-evaluate where we're at then, and hopefully get the London pad paid off by the following February, or mid-2012 at the latest.

Thanks for getting to the end!!! Good to be here and share your journeys - good luck to you all!
Managed Mortgage-Free Status: November 2011. :j
Initial mortgage was £143k in 2004.
Still living fairly frugally for the house upgrade.
First baby born October 2010. :j

Comments

• alwaystryyourbest
    Options
    :)Just wanted to welcome you
    ,and wish you luck ,,,,

:):)
    £176,000 January 2014
  • Abyss
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you, alwaystryyourbest! :)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome, lots of luck on your MF quest. All these new diaries make me wonder whether i should start my own!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome - its good to see how much you have thought everything through. I think it really helps to have plans and goals and your overpayments are amazing, you'll see such a difference really quickly.

Good luck with it all :D
  • Mrs.T20
    Mrs.T20 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good luck with everything :)
    I aspire to be mortgage free by July 2014 :staradmin
  • Abyss
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks, CathT, teapot2 and Mrs.T20! :)

CathT, definitely start your own! I'm only early days with mine, and already it feels lovely! :) Do it!
    teapot2, already noticing a brilliant difference, and the end looks so achievable, and not that far off. Of course, as I've said, we can't stay in this house once the new arrival is toddling, and would definitely struggle with space if there were subsequent children, but will be good to have achieved paying off one mortgage, and I'll feel in a stable position.

Got salary paid today, so paid off a bit more of the mortgage to bring it down to £53,582.20 - £582.20 will come out in a few days (set mortgage payment) so we'll then be down to a neat and tidy £53k (I know every penny counts, but I do like a tidy figure!). I've got a credit card bill coming out soon (the pram, aargh, how expensive are those things!), and then the household DD bills, and then hopefully I can shave off a little bit more when I'm clear on how much I've got left this month, before I get paid again! LOVE seeing the figure go down! Then got DH's extra payments to come in, and he's been frugal this month, so think it's been a good month for saving/overpaying. Yay! He got a small bonus this month, but has suggested I spend that on myself as I am heavily pregnant, so I am having a massage next weekend.
  • littlemissfavored
    Options
    Welcome and all the best with mortgage and baby!
  • gerbiljo
    gerbiljo Posts: 848 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hey good luck with your diary, kind of similar pay off a month with what were doing, good luck with your pregnancy I have one little girl but we have to await MF status before we can look at having another due to rubbish maternity package (well done on bagging a good one) :)
    Mortgage November 2003 was £135k, but thanks to this website on 28/08/12 we became MORTGAGE FREE!
    Now just over 2 years we have taken on the challenge again! )(starting £237k Nov 2014) Current mortgage £232,399.82, current overpayment total £1550, years remaining= 17
  • Abyss
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 August 2010 at 6:02PM
    Options
    Thanks, littlemissfavored and gerbiljo. :)
    30 months seems a long time to wait to try for another baby, gerbiljo. Would be ideal if we were MF before any babies, but just don't think we can afford to wait! Afford as in take the chance of infertility and/or complications, but I've just checked your MF thread and you have a few years extra than I do, so best of luck to you and your goals.

No money updates since I last wrote. Going baby-items shopping today or tomorrow, but I think I am quite minimalistic in my approach so should be a relatively frugal spend.
  • Abyss
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So, had the baby-items splurge, but have now pretty much got everything essential, except for the car-seat. Mortgage will be coming out tomorrow, then credit card bill on the 4th, with household DDs over the next few days. Don't think this will be a month for great overpayments by me, but hopefully we won't have to fork out for much more for a few months. DH's overpayment should still be decent, so still feeling like we've done quite well in the last month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport