Please help, is this job offer a scam?

I have used Computers every day of my life i have seen scams done to others and i have been employed to stop scams, yet this email (Job offer) seems to dodgey to comprehend.

The worst part being i cant see where they could be scamming me, something just isn`t right.

Datatec UK

Dear Bryn

Here is a further update in respect of your application.

You have sent us your CV and applied for the position of E-Marketing Representative. This is a Home Based role, with a basic Salary of
£20-25,000 pa + Commission with an OTE of £40,000 pa.

We are currently reviewing all applications and are pleased to offer you the opportunity of progressing to the next stage, therefore please read the following instructions carefully and complete these within the time scale we have allocated.

Our company is growing rapidly and we will shortly be introducing a number of new Digital Products and Services to our existing portfolio which will make us a market leader in our industry so there has never been a better or more exciting time to join us.

We have been advertising on a National basis and have a substantial number of vacancies that we would like to fill as quickly as possible. We have both Full Time and Part Time vacancies available.

To help us in the selection process you will need to complete the following exercise as quickly and efficiently as possible. During this process we will be observing a number of factors that are key to you becoming a successful E-Marketing Representative and we stress therefore that it is important to your application that you complete everything thoroughly and as quickly as possible and no later than the cut off date which we will provide you.

You will find the exercise we have set you both interesting and fun and it is based around a new and revolutionary FREE download available to both the general public and business's alike, which was launched into the UK & Ireland by our parent company,
Momentum-Group just a few weeks ago. You need to do the following:

1) Go to the following link *{Website that im not allowed to post}*
2) We recommend you watch all of the Video's on this page
3) Complete your First & Second name in the registration box together with your email address and send (we will be notified when you have done this)
4) You will get a confirmation email confirming your registration which will also provide the download link, click on this and
5) This will take you to the download page - download the FREE application (again we will be notified when you have done this)
6) Once you have downloaded the application, thoroughly familiarise yourself with it - this is important.
7) Once you are happy that you understand how it works please answer the following questions:

(a) How do you set the Genie so that it knows where you are?
(b) What are the key features of this FREE download?
(c) What would be a key benefit to an individual using this download?
(d) What would be a key benefit to a business using this download?
(e) How would you market this product if you were on a fairly tight budget?

This should not take you very long to complete but do consider your answers carefully and reply to us by email. Your target time and date is 6.00pm this Thursday 26th August or sooner but absolutely no later than 6.00pm on the 31st August 2010.

Once we have received your responses we will be short listing for interview so you should here back from us by the end of next week.

Many thanks for your continued interest in our company and these exciting positions.

Kind Regards

Recruitment Support Team

Datatec Group

DatatecUK
Market House
2 Marlborough Road
SWINDON
SN3 1QY
UK
t. +44 (0)1367 709385 f. +44 (0)1793 300 215

DatatecUSA
Suite 901
315 Madison Avenue
NEW YORK
NY10017
USA
t. +1 646 797 3101 f. +1 914 462 3473

Comments

• bookguy
    bookguy Posts: 28 Forumite
    Hm, I've had the same email, and it doesn't seem quite right to me either. I think they're looking for SEO grinders - which is OK if you're actually getting paid 20 000 for it, plus the stated OTE, but I bet it won't work out that way.

It's possible the clickthrough from the email itself is to garner cash, I don't know. I applied for it from the direct.gov jobs website, so I'll enquire with them and feed back.
  • bookguy
    edited 25 August 2010 at 12:09AM
    Update - I've just tried the phone number they put as their "international" one, and it seems to go to some Swindon bloke's voicemail, no company ID/Switchboard, nothing.

I think it's a scam, unfortunately.

Their website and the poor punctuation on their job offer seems to bear this out.

edit:

Also, if you goolemap the postcode, it's just some cottage on Euro road, Swindon.
  • Harvesting personal info.
    Getting you to install a rootkit on your own computer.

Aside from that I'm sure it's totally legit.
    "Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz
  • I sent them my CV when applying for the position it contained my DOB, Address , Phone Number, ect , looks like im getting some fun mail though the post then lol.

:(

Cheers guys!
  • Just my opinion.
    I have no knowledge of the job or product other than what you posted, I'm just extremely ... cynical.
    "Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz
  • bookguy
    Shaven-Monkey, you're right. I'm going to report this guy to the direct.gov people tomorrow.
  • Just my opinion.
    I have no knowledge of the job or product other than what you posted, I'm just extremely ... cynical.

Cynical is my middle name, cheers mate
  • I recieved the exact same email about 2hours ago!

I was simply just googling info about how to market things etc
    and ended up here on this thread...

I applied for this job through my Local Jobcentre..
    So i this is a scam then they have pulled the wool over everyones eyes...
  • fubar1010 wrote: »
    I recieved the exact same email about 2hours ago!

I was simply just googling info about how to market things etc
    and ended up here on this thread...

I applied for this job through my Local Jobcentre..
    So i this is a scam then they have pulled the wool over everyones eyes...

Glad my topic spread light on it for you, there was no info about this in google.

Hopefully people will see this topic in google and no one will fall for it.
  • cmw1212
    cmw1212 Posts: 483 Forumite
    bookguy wrote: »
    Update - I've just tried the phone number they put as their "international" one, and it seems to go to some Swindon bloke's voicemail, no company ID/Switchboard, nothing.

I think it's a scam, unfortunately.

Their website and the poor punctuation on their job offer seems to bear this out.

edit:

Also, if you goolemap the postcode, it's just some cottage on Euro road, Swindon.

I don't see how that proves anything lots of businesses run from small premises- I had an interview once for a company based in an old church!
    Also their MD is on linkedin, TBH his profile doesn't make him look like a scammer- I know nothing about this kind of thing mind. I imagine people who work in IT get so many dodgy job offers they have to be really careful.
    "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice." :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport