Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Discount Codes 'n Vouchers > Tesco Clubcard deals and RAC membership (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tesco Clubcard deals and RAC membership
Closed Thread
Views: 3,287
# 1
WOW Factor 0
tanith
Old 17-07-2010, 1:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Tesco Clubcard deals and RAC membership

I have searched this but most of the threads are very old...

I used Tesco Clubcard to pay my RAC last year and it worked out fine... but I now can't work out wether its worth it or not...

I got my renewal from RAC which states as I am now a Tesco Clubcard member I will save 40% if I renew directly with RAC... it will be 100.40 instead of 160 for Recovery ,Home and Onward travel... but if I use my Tesco Clubcard vouchers they want 94 in clubcard vouchers for the same package... I'm sure it was much less last year something like 54 in vouchers.

I have nearly 100 in vouchers so its going to use all the vouchers I have and I was going to book some days out for OH and myself for later in the year.. which I won't now be able to do if I use them for the RAC payment..

So am I missing something or isn't going to better to stump up the 100.40 and pay RAC direct and keep my vouchers for our days out?

Help me out someone!!... OH is keeping quiet, so when I do it wrong he can blame me...
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
The Following User Says Thank You to tanith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
vicki+1
Old 17-07-2010, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

personally i would pay for my rac and use the vouchers for days out. seems little point paying almost the same in clubcard vouchers as money. If you use them for days out, restraunts etc, most mean you save at least half (when you take into account that lots of days out and restraunts can be half price with vouchers if you weren't using clubcard vouchers)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicki+1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tanith
Old 17-07-2010, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki+1 View Post
personally i would pay for my rac and use the vouchers for days out. seems little point paying almost the same in clubcard vouchers as money. If you use them for days out, restraunts etc, most mean you save at least half (when you take into account that lots of days out and restraunts can be half price with vouchers if you weren't using clubcard vouchers)
Thanks vicki thats what I thought , I just wanted someone to confirm I was going the right way.. aren't men useless , he just wanted it to be my mistake if it was wrong..
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
# 4
bullshot
Old 17-07-2010, 6:35 PM

I'd ring other breakdown companies for a quote first as there are always introductory offers and I'm sure it would be cheaper than the RAC quote ...I think the package you have now with the RAC is only 42 using your Tesco vouchers, so I'd go elsewhere for 1 year and then back to the RAC next year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bullshot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
scruffydog
Old 17-07-2010, 6:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

have you tried quidco i got 1 years aa cover for 19 last year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scruffydog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
tanith
Old 17-07-2010, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshot View Post
I'd ring other breakdown companies for a quote first as there are always introductory offers and I'm sure it would be cheaper than the RAC quote ...I think the package you have now with the RAC is only 42 using your Tesco vouchers, so I'd go elsewhere for 1 year and then back to the RAC next year.
Not according to the Clubcard deals this morning it wasn't its as I quoted 94 I was very surprised as I said because I'm sure it was much less last year.. I prefer to stay with the RAC anyway but thanks for the suggestion...
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

# 7
Barneysmom
Old 17-07-2010, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanith View Post
I have searched this but most of the threads are very old...

I used Tesco Clubcard to pay my RAC last year and it worked out fine... but I now can't work out wether its worth it or not...

I got my renewal from RAC which states as I am now a Tesco Clubcard member I will save 40% if I renew directly with RAC... it will be 100.40 instead of 160 for Recovery ,Home and Onward travel... but if I use my Tesco Clubcard vouchers they want 94 in clubcard vouchers for the same package... I'm sure it was much less last year something like 54 in vouchers.

I have nearly 100 in vouchers so its going to use all the vouchers I have and I was going to book some days out for OH and myself for later in the year.. which I won't now be able to do if I use them for the RAC payment..

So am I missing something or isn't going to better to stump up the 100.40 and pay RAC direct and keep my vouchers for our days out?

Help me out someone!!... OH is keeping quiet, so when I do it wrong he can blame me...

I looked at Tesco clubcards too today as my renewal letter quotes 162.00, it seems to be very high this year and the Tesco deal is expensive tooo.
I'm going to look at Quidco for a deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barneysmom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bullshot
Old 17-07-2010, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanith View Post
Not according to the Clubcard deals this morning it wasn't its as I quoted 94 I was very surprised as I said because I'm sure it was much less last year.. I prefer to stay with the RAC anyway but thanks for the suggestion...
Sorry if my info was wrong...doh!!! What do you get for 42 on the deals then? I was looking at this for myself as the breakdown we got with our new car expires later this year and I thought it was 42 with deals....
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/...67150|Motoring
The Following User Says Thank You to bullshot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
tanith
Old 17-07-2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshot View Post
Sorry if my info was wrong...doh!!! What do you get for 42 on the deals then? I was looking at this for myself as the breakdown we got with our new car expires later this year and I thought it was 42 with deals....
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/...67150|Motoring
Thats ok there are an awful lot of options available.. the one you chose has no 'HOME' cover and its single cover and I needed joint cover for my husband and myself.. so as long as you only want single cover without HOME feature without Europe cover then its fine..
#6 of the SKI-ers Club

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tanith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
loopylilo
Old 17-07-2010, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had a similar situation with my renewal but when I looked at the Tesco rewards on offer, I went with the RAC Joint home policy at just 41 in vouchers so, I've used my vouchers again. Hope that helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loopylilo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
sinw
Old 18-07-2010, 8:30 AM

I did a deal with points last year, this year i will use quidco and tcb - spend my points on something else, how about a holiday or something from goldsmiths xx
The Following User Says Thank You to sinw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
crazyterrier2000
Old 18-07-2010, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneysmom View Post
I looked at Tesco clubcards too today as my renewal letter quotes 162.00, it seems to be very high this year and the Tesco deal is expensive tooo.
I'm going to look at Quidco for a deal.
I had the same issue with the Tesco RAC renewal & went to Topcashback, AA is 50 back on a spend of over 100. Keeping vouchers for Hols.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazyterrier2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread