Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Ransoman
    Have i just been scammed?
    • 16th Jul 10, 11:25 AM
    Have i just been scammed? 16th Jul 10 at 11:25 AM
    hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this is the right section but just had a weird phone call:

I work as a systems analyst in a small IT department. I am used to dodging sales calls but i had a weird one just now from a company called Millenium Computers. It went like this:

MillC: hello andrew, Andy from millenium computers here, we tried to get hold of you last week at 5:30 but you had already gone home, we must have just missed you.

Me: yeh, i am out of here at 5 sharp, don't like working late

MillC: The reason i am calling is we have just won a sponsorship deal for (something, i can't remember, might be the world cup???) We are sending out some free football shirts, are you into football?

Me: no, don't like football

MillC: what sports are you into?

Me: i like tennis, wimbledon etc.

MillC: we might have some tennis shirts left i can send you then, please take a note of this security code.

Me: ##writes down code##

then he starts telling me about a printer survey that i don't remember taking about the printers we use on site, i answer a couple of questions about model numbers etc and he starts talking about a product they do, a very high capacity 40'000 page toner and steel bearing'd drum. we talk printers a minute or so more and suddenly:

Millc: so these shirts, when we send them they don't always make it to who we send them to so i would rather send it out to your home address. What's your home postcode.

Me: ##still thinking of printers so no alarm bells, reluctantly gives postcode

Millc: and first line of your address?

Me: ##gives info still reluctantly.

Millc: your not planning on going on holiday anytime soon? need to make sure you will be in in the next 4-5 days to sign for it?

Me: Nope, i am not going anywhere, but i am starting a new job in 3 weeks time.

Millc: well thanks for letting me update my records, i finish work today at 8:00pm, how about you?

Me: 5... ##suddenly the alarm bells start in my head.

at this point he talks a little more about business oppertunities and offers to meet me for lunch when he is "in the area" next week. so i say, No, i am leaving soon so i am not involving myself in any businessy stuff.

As he gave his parting goodbyes i tried to ask him a bit more about his company (because his product would actually be of use to us) but he seems to ignore me and hangs up on goodbye.

After i put the phone down i am left genuinly thinking WTF? He sounded british and sounded like he was calling from a very busy call center but only after thinking back about the questions, alarm bells are now ringing.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,698Posts Today

9,611Users online

Martin's Twitter