PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options
ceridwen
ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 15 July 2010 at 8:29PM in Old style MoneySaving
This is a follow-on thread to Kittie's "It's tough NOW - so how are we coping?" thread.

Kittie started up that "installment" of her thread in November 2008 - because the original one had had 235,000 views and she felt the need for a change of emphasis.

That thread has now been running for some time - and has had over half a million views and BigMummaF suggested (and has been seconded) that perhaps it's time to start up the next "installment" of this popular thread.

As Kittie is the "founder" of this thread - I have sent her a P.M. yesterday asking for her views on starting up a new installment. I know she has been on MSE since then - so will have seen the PM - but does not tend to frequent the Old Style Board now. The need for this thread is greater than ever now - as it looks like the Hard Times are "bedding in" for a while yet...

So - kittie - if I may take the liberty of starting this new installment of your popular thread up on your behalf - as I know you feel we are much in accord in our way of thinking about the situation?

So - kittie - if I may take silence as assent to my suggestion that I start up the Mark 3 Version of the "It is tough Now" thread on your behalf??

- then here it is folks.

So - perhaps folks would like to now start putting up their "Its tough now" posts on this new thread.

EDIT: I've now put a post up on the previous thread to re-direct people over here.

FURTHER EDIT (as per suggestion) - link to old thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1295539

Comments

• charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Good idea Ceridwen! Though it will be sad to see the old thread slide into oblivion :(
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, I lurked on the old thread and as this is a new start thought I would 'pop out' and say hello. Going to slide back into lurkdom.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2010 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Thank you for a nice new thread.

OS subtly changes our thinking doesn't it? One month we can (sometimes) find we ourselves coping easily with the grocery challenge and then we stop buying fabric conditioners, various cleaners and de-scalers as we've discovered brown vinegar at 13p per bottle:j
    Bunging four loaves in the oven becomes 'same old, same old', and our practised OS subconscious gets us wondering about washing up liquid!

Which conveniently brings me :rotfl: to my exciting personal discovery of a great frugal washing up liquid that saves quite a bit on money - and plastic bottles.

It's found on the Green Parent forum below

http://www.thegreenparent.co.uk/forums/viewthread/10667/

I'm sure lots of you have your own recipes for WUL, but this is new to me:cool:

Have found that we need to reduce amount of soap in this recipe to avoid a 'film' on the glass-ware. Process of experimentation
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    The old thread's been part of my life for months. It certainly will take a bit of adjustment.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just curious - does brown vinegar work as well as white?

I am going to try the WUL - I am hoping it will smell good too. Do you know what soap flakes to use?
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The old thread's been part of my life for months. It certainly will take a bit of adjustment.

I have been reading through it recently and do regret not taking more time to be involved.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    Why not put links to the old threads in your op, ceridwen. Then the old threads won't be lost forever and for new readers it will put this thread into context.

I hope this thread isn't merged though (j/k) :D

Sou
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Bet I can't find my way back. If I go quiet, somebody come and look for me :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 19 July 2010 at 1:31PM
    Options
    Prudent wrote: »
    Just curious - does brown vinegar work as well as white?

I am going to try the WUL - I am hoping it will smell good too. Do you know what soap flakes to use?

Definitely. There's a long thread on this here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2540683&highlight=brown+vinegar

I would opt for pure un-perfumed soap flakes, and add a drop or two of lavender oil - but any box of supermarket soap-flakes would do, perfumed or otherwise. As you are only using two teaspoonfuls, the WUL should work out very cheap in the long run, whatever the price of the soap
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea to start a new thread, sometimes a very long thread can be off putting and put people off reading.

Like others things are very tough here atm, OH is off work with a "bad back" meaning very little money coming in (already off four weeks and signed off for at least three more) am exhausted trying to juggle everything. And scared that when he eventaully goes back he will be out of a job lets be honest employers are desperate to cut staff any way they can.

Thnk goodness for Lidl and Aldi for my shopping. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure