Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 14th Jul 10, 12:57 AM
    • 1,963Posts
    • 5,659Thanks
    Magenta
    FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER to use when buying your glasses on line. July 2010
    • 14th Jul 10, 12:57 AM
    FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER to use when buying your glasses on line. July 2010 14th Jul 10 at 12:57 AM
    July 13 2010.

Hi all,

To get a FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER .(PDR), worth £5.00,

Go to:

http://www.metsuki.com/index.html

You will see on the right hand side of the page a box of 4 'offers'. This one is in the bottom left hand box-GET A FREE PD RULER. Just click on it and fill in your details. You also get a guide on how to use this.

I f you are buying prescription glasses online you use this to measure the distance between the centres of your pupils to get an exact, correct measurement.

Apparently to stop people buying glasses online the High Street Opticians where you get you eyes tested are going to stop putting the PD measurement on prescriptions!!!!!

(There is also a petition to sign)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 23-08-2011 at 6:13 PM. Reason: sp
    Magenta

OOPS, I am really sorry if I have posted a duplicate thread by mistake, I did do a search and nothing came up. So please, no unnecessary nasty comments.Thank you.
Page 1
    • summertreats
    • By summertreats 14th Jul 10, 9:21 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 3,099 Thanks
    summertreats
    • 14th Jul 10, 9:21 AM
    • 14th Jul 10, 9:21 AM
    thanks
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 14th Jul 10, 9:35 AM
    • 15,307 Posts
    • 166,473 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 14th Jul 10, 9:35 AM
    • 14th Jul 10, 9:35 AM
    They are also running a petition to force opticians to give you your PD with your prescription - would simplify things greatly!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • MrsB2100
    • By MrsB2100 14th Jul 10, 12:57 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    MrsB2100
    • 14th Jul 10, 12:57 PM
    • 14th Jul 10, 12:57 PM
    This has been about the only thing to stop me from getting glasses online. No more, if this comes! Internet Opticians, here I come!
  • bcl999
    • 14th Jul 10, 1:29 PM
    • 14th Jul 10, 1:29 PM
    This has been about the only thing to stop me from getting glasses online. No more, if this comes! Internet Opticians, here I come!
    Originally posted by MrsB2100
    I always just ask for it when they give me the prescription. Never had a problem or a refusal. I don't think it's supposed to change much anyway. Last time I was 62.5mm and this time it was 63mm. This year I was given a PD for distance which was different to the one for reading. (I only wear glasses for reading and have never been given a distance PD before). Waiting now for my new specs to arrive from HK.
    Last edited by bcl999; 14-07-2010 at 1:33 PM.
  • tillytat
    • 14th Jul 10, 1:38 PM
    • 14th Jul 10, 1:38 PM
    Great find, thanks.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Jul 10, 2:35 PM
    • 11,016 Posts
    • 36,268 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 14th Jul 10, 2:35 PM
    • 14th Jul 10, 2:35 PM
    I always just ask for it when they give me the prescription. Never had a problem or a refusal. I don't think it's supposed to change much anyway. Last time I was 62.5mm and this time it was 63mm. This year I was given a PD for distance which was different to the one for reading. (I only wear glasses for reading and have never been given a distance PD before). Waiting now for my new specs to arrive from HK.
    Originally posted by bcl999
    Same here, I have never had a problem getting my PD from the optician, I was told that they have to give it to you if you ask.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE?http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide?_ga=1.180583330.489173029.1402242994
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 14th Jul 10, 2:56 PM
    • 5,695 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 14th Jul 10, 2:56 PM
    • 14th Jul 10, 2:56 PM
    Boots will not give the PD even if you ask......the optician said "You can discuss it with the manager if you like"!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Jul 10, 3:25 PM
    • 11,016 Posts
    • 36,268 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 14th Jul 10, 3:25 PM
    • 14th Jul 10, 3:25 PM
    Boots will not give the PD even if you ask......the optician said "You can discuss it with the manager if you like"!
    Originally posted by roddydogs

I would discuss it with the manager, it is information about you so you are entitled to it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE?http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide?_ga=1.180583330.489173029.1402242994
  • KittyPryde
    Recently bought my first glasses. Had the eye test done at Boots and noticed they didn't give me a PD. I asked what if I wanted to buy them from Boots online and she said just come back and buy them from this store instead lol.

I ended up buying mine at ASDA and when she measured my PD she said it out loud (61), although I noticed when the glasses came back the form said PD:62 ?

Do they round it up? Either way, I think they should give it to you without asking so I think a free ruler is a good idea, thanks OP.
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 14th Jul 10, 4:23 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Magenta
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    That has been my experience too, so when I get my ruler I'll be buying online. There are sites where the choice of frames are much better than on the High Street and as for the price, what a difference!!!!
    Magenta

OOPS, I am really sorry if I have posted a duplicate thread by mistake, I did do a search and nothing came up. So please, no unnecessary nasty comments.Thank you.
    • icefall
    • By icefall 14th Jul 10, 4:25 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    icefall
    signed the petition the ruler will come in handy when ordering glasses online
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
    • lofielectronic
    • By lofielectronic 14th Jul 10, 5:38 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    lofielectronic
    Thanks, not a bad site either.
  • NowWhat
    Maybe I'm missing something - but I found a webpage with an illustration of the Ruler on - but couldnt find anything that stated "Fill in the form below with your details and we will send you a pupillary distance ruler to keep" (ie a physical item that can be put in a drawer).

Am I missing something? Can someone give me a direct link to where I can ask to receive this physical item please?
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 14th Jul 10, 7:53 PM
    • 15,307 Posts
    • 166,473 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    You just click on the illustration but here is the link

http://www.metsuki.com/pupillary_distance-free_pd_ruler.php
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Miró
    • By Miró 20th Jul 10, 11:35 AM
    • 5,175 Posts
    • 21,016 Thanks
    Miró
    Thanks Magenta...arrived today!

Just in time for the Groupon/GlassesDirect offer in Martin's newsletter this week....yay!!!!
    Last edited by Miró; 21-07-2010 at 1:49 PM.
    "Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 21st Jul 10, 1:12 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Magenta
    Got mine today too

As you will see withe accompanying letter they are giving a

15% Discount off first orders with the code PDRULER at the checkout.
    Magenta

• MrsB2100
    • By MrsB2100 22nd Jul 10, 1:05 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    MrsB2100
    I got mine, too - well chuffed! Last time I bought glasses they were £280! I hope they'll be much less now. I've been a bit wary of buying off the internet because I've had glasses before when the PD hasnt been right and they take an AGE to get used to!
    • Philycheesesteak
    • By Philycheesesteak 23rd Jul 10, 3:19 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    Philycheesesteak
    http://www.metsuki.com/pupillary_distance-free_pd_ruler.php

Great find, I tried to DIY it when I bought online and was rang back to check I wasn't a 12 year old!!

Went to Specsavers where I'd had my eyes tested and they relunctantly gave it to me with a disclaimer saying that buying online is a risky business blahblah.

I bought from glasses direct, great service even better price.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    Why do they blow puffs of air in your eyes, then take a flash photo of your eye and THEN expect you to be able to read the chart!!?!?!
    • Ancelyn1331
    • By Ancelyn1331 23rd Jul 10, 3:40 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Ancelyn1331
    Great find! High Street opticians are often a rip off.
    To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a Heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

1,140Users online

Martin's Twitter