Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Freebies gone but not forgotten > FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER to use when buying ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER to use when buying your glasses on line. July 2010
Closed Thread
Views: 21,913
# 1
Magenta
Old 14-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER to use when buying your glasses on line. July 2010

July 13 2010.

Hi all,

To get a FREE PUPILLARY DISTANCE RULER .(PDR), worth £5.00,

Go to:

http://www.metsuki.com/index.html

You will see on the right hand side of the page a box of 4 'offers'. This one is in the bottom left hand box-GET A FREE PD RULER. Just click on it and fill in your details. You also get a guide on how to use this.

I f you are buying prescription glasses online you use this to measure the distance between the centres of your pupils to get an exact, correct measurement.

Apparently to stop people buying glasses online the High Street Opticians where you get you eyes tested are going to stop putting the PD measurement on prescriptions!!!!!

(There is also a petition to sign)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Magenta

OOPS, I am really sorry if I have posted a duplicate thread by mistake, I did do a search and nothing came up. So please, no unnecessary nasty comments.Thank you.

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 23-08-2011 at 6:13 PM. Reason: sp
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to Magenta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
The Following 2 Users got this: Show me >>
# 2
summertreats
Old 14-07-2010, 9:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks
# 3
Enterprise 1701C
Old 14-07-2010, 9:35 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

They are also running a petition to force opticians to give you your PD with your prescription - would simplify things greatly!
What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enterprise 1701C For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MrsB2100
Old 14-07-2010, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This has been about the only thing to stop me from getting glasses online. No more, if this comes! Internet Opticians, here I come!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsB2100 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
bcl999
Old 14-07-2010, 1:29 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB2100 View Post
This has been about the only thing to stop me from getting glasses online. No more, if this comes! Internet Opticians, here I come!
I always just ask for it when they give me the prescription. Never had a problem or a refusal. I don't think it's supposed to change much anyway. Last time I was 62.5mm and this time it was 63mm. This year I was given a PD for distance which was different to the one for reading. (I only wear glasses for reading and have never been given a distance PD before). Waiting now for my new specs to arrive from HK.

Last edited by bcl999; 14-07-2010 at 1:33 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcl999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
tillytat
Old 14-07-2010, 1:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Great find, thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to tillytat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
sarah1972
Old 14-07-2010, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl999 View Post
I always just ask for it when they give me the prescription. Never had a problem or a refusal. I don't think it's supposed to change much anyway. Last time I was 62.5mm and this time it was 63mm. This year I was given a PD for distance which was different to the one for reading. (I only wear glasses for reading and have never been given a distance PD before). Waiting now for my new specs to arrive from HK.
Same here, I have never had a problem getting my PD from the optician, I was told that they have to give it to you if you ask.
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
The Following User Says Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
roddydogs
Old 14-07-2010, 2:56 PM

Boots will not give the PD even if you ask......the optician said "You can discuss it with the manager if you like"!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roddydogs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sarah1972
Old 14-07-2010, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddydogs View Post
Boots will not give the PD even if you ask......the optician said "You can discuss it with the manager if you like"!

I would discuss it with the manager, it is information about you so you are entitled to it.
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
KittyPryde
Old 14-07-2010, 3:56 PM

Recently bought my first glasses. Had the eye test done at Boots and noticed they didn't give me a PD. I asked what if I wanted to buy them from Boots online and she said just come back and buy them from this store instead lol.

I ended up buying mine at ASDA and when she measured my PD she said it out loud (61), although I noticed when the glasses came back the form said PD:62 ?

Do they round it up? Either way, I think they should give it to you without asking so I think a free ruler is a good idea, thanks OP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KittyPryde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Magenta
Old 14-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddydogs View Post
That has been my experience too, so when I get my ruler I'll be buying online. There are sites where the choice of frames are much better than on the High Street and as for the price, what a difference!!!!
Magenta

OOPS, I am really sorry if I have posted a duplicate thread by mistake, I did do a search and nothing came up. So please, no unnecessary nasty comments.Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magenta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
icefall
Old 14-07-2010, 4:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

signed the petition the ruler will come in handy when ordering glasses online
I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icefall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
lofielectronic
Old 14-07-2010, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, not a bad site either.
The Following User Says Thank You to lofielectronic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
NowWhat
Old 14-07-2010, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Maybe I'm missing something - but I found a webpage with an illustration of the Ruler on - but couldnt find anything that stated "Fill in the form below with your details and we will send you a pupillary distance ruler to keep" (ie a physical item that can be put in a drawer).

Am I missing something? Can someone give me a direct link to where I can ask to receive this physical item please?
# 15
Enterprise 1701C
Old 14-07-2010, 7:53 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You just click on the illustration but here is the link

http://www.metsuki.com/pupillary_dis...e_pd_ruler.php
What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enterprise 1701C For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Miró
Old 20-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks Magenta...arrived today!

Just in time for the Groupon/GlassesDirect offer in Martin's newsletter this week....yay!!!!
"Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"

Last edited by Miró; 21-07-2010 at 1:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miró For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Magenta
Old 21-07-2010, 1:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Got mine today too

As you will see withe accompanying letter they are giving a

15% Discount off first orders with the code PDRULER at the checkout.
Magenta

The Following User Says Thank You to Magenta For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
MrsB2100
Old 22-07-2010, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got mine, too - well chuffed! Last time I bought glasses they were £280! I hope they'll be much less now. I've been a bit wary of buying off the internet because I've had glasses before when the PD hasnt been right and they take an AGE to get used to!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsB2100 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Philycheesesteak
Old 23-07-2010, 3:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.metsuki.com/pupillary_dis...e_pd_ruler.php

Great find, I tried to DIY it when I bought online and was rang back to check I wasn't a 12 year old!!

Went to Specsavers where I'd had my eyes tested and they relunctantly gave it to me with a disclaimer saying that buying online is a risky business blahblah.

I bought from glasses direct, great service even better price.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Why do they blow puffs of air in your eyes, then take a flash photo of your eye and THEN expect you to be able to read the chart!!?!?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Philycheesesteak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Ancelyn1331
Old 23-07-2010, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Great find! High Street opticians are often a rip off.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake
Closed Thread