Question regarding chasing up my tax return

Options
Hi guys

I sought advice on here regarding sending my P60 off and getting a tax refund which I had been told wa due to me.

So, I was basically advised to send a cover letter and my p60 to the address of the office my employer uses (Young Street, Sheffield).

However, I haven't yet heard anything, so I am wondering if anybody knows of a number I can ring to chase them up?

Or what is best to do?
Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away

Comments

• TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    It could take 10 weeks so don't expect an answer straight away. If you go on the HMR&C website where you found the address there is also a contact phone number you can chase it up on.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I heard someone from HMRC on Watchdog say that it is a minimum of 40 day wait for a reply to a letter. They are grossly understaffed and still picking up the pieces from the major errors of new computer system, so don't hold your breath.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I heard someone from HMRC on Watchdog say that it is a minimum of 40 day wait for a reply to a letter.

I wish.............................

(and I am trying to give them tax)
  • indierocker85
    indierocker85 Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey, I firstly sent my p60 and detailed where I worked and hnow much I had earned.

Then I sent a letter voluntarily detailing benefits received before starting this job, as this would have been taxable income.

Yet I have just received a letter this morning, with just my P60 in it, and a "with compliments slip.

It is stamped "Inland Revenue, Humber Area, Cherry Court, 36 Ferensway, Hull, HU2 8AD"

It does have a reference on, but thats all, no phone number or anything.
    I am keen to chase this up to make sure they have got all the relevant info.

Can anyone help me?
    Thank you
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I heard someone from HMRC on Watchdog say that it is a minimum of 40 day wait for a reply to a letter. They are grossly understaffed and still picking up the pieces from the major errors of new computer system, so don't hold your breath.

Dropped off an R40 form at local tax office on 10th June, received cheque today, pretty good going for the Revenue
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• indierocker85
    Options
    Just rang them, only to be advised it could be as late as 3rd of September before I will hear anything

what can be done?
  • derrick
    Options
    Just rang them, only to be advised it could be as late as 3rd of September before I will hear anything

what can be done?

Have you tried filling in form R40? That is all I did, it is a very simple form.

• indierocker85
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    Have you tried filling in form R40? That is all I did, it is a very simple form.

What do I put on it, just the income amount and benefit amount? And the obvious personal info r.e address etc
  • derrick
    Options
    What do I put on it, just the income amount and benefit amount? And the obvious personal info r.e address etc

Yes it is very easy, just follow the instructions in the Notes for completing form R40, any thing paid net/gross of tax just needs putting in the relevant boxes, no paperwork needs to be sent with it.

• indierocker85
    Options
    Where would this be sent to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing