PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

do you have to pay for items picked up at the dump/tip/waste centre

Hi as the title says do you havto pay for items that are avaiable at the dump? thanks

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, it's the perk for the poor guys/gals that sort through the rubbish lol

Most don't charge much though, I paid £2 today for a lovely mug tree and a huge blind!

Have got a lot of my furniture, DH's tools, kids bikes, pictures etc from dumps too (Or household recycling centres to give them their proper name!)
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Its not allowed at our tip, for 'health and safety' reasons:(

We dont go often, as we recycle/freecycle/charity whatever we can.

I find visits totally depressing, I cant believe what people chuck away!
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    At ours, there's a company who I assume pay for the stuff & they collect it & then sell it on from a warehouse. The public aren't allowed to buy direct from the tip now.
    Great for a days rummage.
    No more expensive then it was when sold direct. Of course the electrical goods all have to be tested, & they deliver. I paid a couple of quid for a pressure washer.
    Ask at yours there could be a similar scheme in your area.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Whats your council? your not allowed to take anything from dumps, and their not allowed to charge or make money on anything.or take anything themselves.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Our Council retrieve things that have been dumped and sell them to the public for a nominal fee from large containers on site.
    They even retrieve scrap wood which they turn into kindling and distribute to low income families and have volunteers who make bird boxes and furniture out of better pieces of wood.
    So far this year we have had a dvd player, an antique book case, shelving unit and art deco plant stand as well as several rolls of loft insulation.
  • our council your not allowed either and they dont appear to have anyone taking the stuff including themselves. I remember once I saw something in the back of someones car and asked the man whoose car it was if I could have it for a nominal fee rather than him throwing it only to be told off by a very large council person who told me that I was not allowed to do that the man had to put it in the tip and that if I tried to do that again I would be banned! I cant remember what it was now but it put me off!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not allowed where we live.
    Also just left local freecycle as so fed up of the 'wanted' ads!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• kerleytops
    kerleytops Posts: 346 Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Not allowed where we live.
    Also just left local freecycle as so fed up of the 'wanted' ads![/QUOTE]

me too!
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    We used to be able to buy things at our local tip but now there is a private firm who run them, there's about 4 blokes who go through the skips removing things I assume to sell on elsewhere?

Freegle bugs me now, for every offered post there must be at least 10 wanted and normally for things like "leather suite must be in excellent condition" or "42in plasma, widescreen, flatscreen all the bells & whistle tv"!
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I feel a bit guilty about Freecycle at the moment, I gave away lots of stuff when we lived in London including a bike and a nice food mixer, but since we moved here I've received stuff from two ads and I've just placed a wanted post begging for some bacopa cuttings, but I haven't given anything away yet in return. I really need to have a bit of a clearout. Our Freecycle doesn't really seem to have huge numbers of wanted posts though and they are usually for reasonable requests (although today someone did ask for a car!).

No idea if you're allowed into the local tip to have a rummage but next time I'm over that way I'm going to see if they'll let me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure