Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    how far back can you claim rebate on single person's council tax allowance?
    • #1
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:20 PM
    how far back can you claim rebate on single person's council tax allowance? 21st Apr 10 at 6:20 PM
    4 years after buying my first property I realised I was eligible for a single occupancy discount on my council tax. I had never paid council tax before. I called them and the nice people at the council said no problem and gave me a rebate in full from the point I moved in (around 4 years rebate). For some reason a year later they removed this discount although my status hadn't changed. I've been paying the full amount since (for 4 years). This time they said they'd only give me a rebate for last year's discount not all 4 years. This seems like charging me extra by inertia - changing my status without advising me, charging me extra and hoping I wouldn't notice (which I didn't). This wouldn't be allowed under FSA rules (I believe). Does anyone know where I stand? They say I should have checked the paperwork and realised they'd taken off the discount. Can you advise? Thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,061Posts Today

7,723Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker.

  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

  • Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

  • Follow Martin