Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dsa1980
    Front loading interest on personal loan
    • 20th Apr 10, 6:39 PM
    Front loading interest on personal loan 20th Apr 10 at 6:39 PM
    Can someone give me some advice?

I took out a loan in January to refinance car finance with an HP company so that I would be able to sell my car more easily at some point this year. Not very Money Saving but as it is my 30th Birthday this year I want to treat myself to an old Lotus Elise as I've wanted one since I was a child!

On calling my bank to see if I could increase my loan by 2000 so I can afford the Lotus, I found out I would have to refinance the entire loan, and given that I had only recently taken out the loan, my interest rate would rise from 8.4% to 10.5% ish.

I then decided the best option would be to get a new loan elsewhere, however I discovered that if I was to repay the loan, as the interest is front loaded, despite paying 400 in repayments, I have only effectively reduced the balance by approx 25. Is this right?
    Shouldn't the interest be reduced if I haven't had the loan for the 48months I signed up for?

Any advice on the best options for me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

396Posts Today

1,904Users online

Martin's Twitter