How to stay positive?

I have really started to work on sorting out my finances and have managed to even save a bit of money over the last week or so as I am determined to get out of debt in the next 2 years.

However this morning my car was making a horrific noise and has now been towed to a local garage, the power steering fluid is leaking and the pump is broken - not sure on total garage bill yet!

It seems as soon as I start saving something happens and I am back to square one!

How do people stay positive when life seems to throw so many problems at you?

Comments

• Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Always look on the bright side, yes the car maybe a step back, but you are making steps forward.

Also don't think about a debt free date too much, just be happy the numbers are going down.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Keep reminding yourself that you have control now and are making inroads, lots of others out there not had their lbm yet so you are streets ahead of them
  • But you are doing really well! You have some savings to pay for this instead of automatically having to put it on a credit card, which would take you months and months to pay off.

You have done really well to build up some savings - and you will build them up again. Have faith!

It takes a while when you are getting out of debt for things to get on an even keel - I found that the chaos in my finances was reflected throughout my life as it all lurched along, in that I failed to take preventative steps to keep things ticking along in a 'stitch in time saves nine sort so way, so I used to tell myself that I couldn't afford to get the boiler regularly serviced, so then it would break down and I would have to put the cost on my credit card... then I realised that it was better to take regular care of it and budget in advance to do so, so that I was never hit with a massive bill.
  • I agree. Get your budget in place. Don't get disheartened if things crop up, just think about how you can prevent it in the future and learn for next time.

If you can put together a really good budget, and start putting money aside for the necessary things, you will get there. It just takes time.

Stick with it- its worth it in the end...:T
    Debt free as of 2 October 2009
    Mortgage free wanabee
  • LabLover
    LabLover Posts: 881 Forumite
    Its called sods law. Me and partners life reads like that , whenever we scrimp and save for a wee camping holiday the day before we set off the car window falls in , exhaust falls off. Oven blows up day before Christmas,dog rushed to the vets when we need to leave to go to concert we saved super hard to pay for tickets for. Its actually a running joke now , the last twice Ive booked a sun £9.50/£15 holidays my OH has been made redundant :eek: BUT we pull through , we actually laugh about it now and as others have said atleast you have a little bit of money aside where as before you would need to put it on card. Chin up , a little bit of Positive mental attitude goes a long way -youve done so well so far !!:T
    Thanks to MSE for making it possible for me save to buy my new flat , yay !!
    Gorgeous baby boy born 7/7/11 :D
  • Thanks for all the replies :) I know that I need to budget for emergencies and will factor this into my budget somehow, It just came at a really bad time as my husband failed his driving test yesterday so that means that we have had to use some of what we have saved for a few more lessons and another test.

I know driving is a luxury but I couldn't do my job without my car and also if DH could drive my life would be easier as we live in the countryside so not much in the way of public transport.

I am not going to let this set back get me down as I feel that I have actually faced up to my problems and the only way to move forward is to sort out all the debts.

The garage have confirmed that it is the power steering pump and the part is around £200 plus the fitting costs :(
  • Haggle over the cost - ask them if you paid in cash whether they could do a better price... always worth a try!
  • Percy1983
    Forumite
    I will say actually as I am clearing debts I don't actually have any savings, I literally throw everything at my credit cards knowing full well if something goes wrong it will go back on the credit cards.

As said if you debts are reducing don't worry, its not a race.
    Son born 13/09/2015
  • I know that I will get there in the end, it is just hard as all I can think of is the debt - I think that I have been ignoring it for too long! I really struggle with ignoring things and am obsessed with checking my bank accounts/credit card balances!

I started a new job on Monday, it is a temp secondment at a grade higher so am hoping that I will have an additional £50 a month to put towards debts and as my son starts school in september, childcare fees go from £130 per week for nursery to £35 per week for after school club and school dinners :)

Have got a car from the garage tonight and will find out the total bill cost tomorrow :(
  • Percy1983
    Forumite
    You need to try and stop checking everything so often, I check my bank statements once a week and do a sweep of all credit cards etc monthly and update my spreadsheet.

Just watch TV, read a book, play a game.

You say you managed to ignore it for so long, try to ignore it again now you have a good budget it place,
    Son born 13/09/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income