Money Saving Spreadsheet to use in addition to Martin's

Options
EagerLearner
EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
edited 8 August 2011 at 4:13PM in Debt-free wannabe
Before using EagerLearners tool, read the article Budget The MoneySaving Way (which includes the full Budget Planner)

Hi all,

I have designed a spreadsheet to be used to monitor your spending once you have done Martin's excellent budget planner. This is like Part II if you will...

This works in Excel or OpenPages and also works on Macs .

Please press the thanks button if you like it :D and leave any feedback/comments here and I'll be happy to help.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NOW:

Go to:

http://www.d-an-g.co.uk/index.php/eagerlearner-spread-sheet

Right click to 'save as' and download to your pc.

(a big thanks to Gazman for providing the webspace)

My spreadsheet concentrates on:

- Money Saving Pot Tracking - see all your savings at a glance including a chart - allowing you to save all your money in one high interest account, and withdraw money for one aspect (say £150 for Christmas) without affecting your other 'pots'. Plus, earn great interest on the whole lot! Alternatively, you could do what one MSER did and use it to keep track of debts & see the 'tower' chart changing each month!

- Frills Spending- Yes - this budget section allows you to track each months 'frill' spending - not bills, but things like clothing, beauty, mobiles, cd's & dvd's, the dreaded 'miscellaneous' etc - all the things we'd all like to 'cut down on'... You can rename the headings as needed. A useful chart will then track your total frills spending per month throughout the year, showing your best and worst 'peaks' so you can work out when your hot spot months are. This section also includes a Monthly Grocery Challenge Area for those of us on the monthly challenge!

- General Savings tracking - This part deals with the savings you are able to make each month - I use it for Quidco, Pigsback, occasional discounts I receive, free vouchers I get etc.

- Debt Busting - See the Debt Buster and all your debts in one place! Makes it much easier to work out what you owe and how much is left to pay, plus how long it will take to pay off. (Remember, interest is not included - you need to add this manually!)

All sections are pre-filled in with example figures so that the charts will work on your initial viewing. If you do clear the figures the charts will dissapear until you start filling in the numbers again, giving the charts something to 'work with'.

If you prefer to see a 'normal' savings pot tower (rather than 3D), right-click, select 'chart type' and select the top middle style.

On the frills section, you can rename the columns as you wish.

This spreadsheet can be customised and no locks have been put on it - enjoy and let me know your thoughts & whether it helps! I have saved alot since working with it and after several months of use and wanting to make sure it helped me, here it is for your enjoyment :j

If you do not have Excel, a link to the instructions page for Open Office is on the download page. Download OpenOffice FREE - www.openoffice.org.

This spreadsheet has been approved by MSE Andrea for posting and inclusion in my signature. It is also featured in the Debt Free Wanna Be, Budgeting & Current accounts and Freebies boards for easy access.

This works in Excel or OpenPages and also works on Macs - please press the thanks button if you like it :D and leave any feedback/comments here and I'll be happy to help.

EagerLearner
threadbanner.gif
MFW #185
Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
YNAB lover :D

Comments

• linniestorm
    Options
    Looks good EagerLearner! Can't wait to try it out properly when I get home. Many thanks!!
    1st LBM (Pre-Career Change): 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: £7244.36

2nd LBM: 10 December 2019 Current Debt £25,322 [April 2020] | Worst Debt: £27,444
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Thanks Linnie - hope it helps & do let me know your thoughts!
    MFW #185
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for doing this! I'll download and give it a try later :D

Can you tell me what programme it runs in? I have a mac so not always compatible with things :( but I do have excel if it uses that?! :)
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Hi all,

This runs in Excel - I have a pc I'm afraid... you should be alright ;o)

Enjoy!
    MFW #185
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I have designed a spreadsheet to be used to monitor your spending once you have done Martin's excellent budget planner. This is like Part II if you will...

EagerLearner

Thanks Eager Learner – that's cool! Mine's filled in already [maybe not with *entirely* correct figures but it's the thought that counts, right!].

Note to Kathfisch: I too work on a mac and it works fine!
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wow thanks EL,spent most of yesterday working on something meant to be like that,turned out a disaster,now I can show hubby what 'I have done',he needn't know the truth lol
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    briona wrote:
    Thanks Eager Learner – that's cool! Mine's filled in already [maybe not with *entirely* correct figures but it's the thought that counts, right!].

Note to Kathfisch: I too work on a mac and it works fine!

Excellent news - but, alas, it's meant to have 'correct' figures - no cheating he he :naughty:
    MFW #185
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    Wow thanks EL,spent most of yesterday working on something meant to be like that,turned out a disaster,now I can show hubby what 'I have done',he needn't know the truth lol

He'll be impressed - maybe even use the sheet himself, eh... ;)
    MFW #185
  • savingpennies
    Options
    Wow jsut what I needed. Better than opening lots of accounts or having lots of moneyboxes. Will keep me busy tomorrow. Many thanks.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh thank you! This is fantastic! :T

x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories