Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 4th Aug 06, 10:16 AM
    • 4,823Posts
    • 7,502Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Money Saving Spreadsheet to use in addition to Martin's
    • 4th Aug 06, 10:16 AM
    Money Saving Spreadsheet to use in addition to Martin's 4th Aug 06 at 10:16 AM
    Before using EagerLearners tool, read the article Budget The MoneySaving Way (which includes the full Budget Planner)

Hi all,

I have designed a spreadsheet to be used to monitor your spending once you have done Martin's excellent budget planner. This is like Part II if you will...

This works in Excel or OpenPages and also works on Macs .

Please press the thanks button if you like it and leave any feedback/comments here and I'll be happy to help.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NOW:

Go to:

http://www.d-an-g.co.uk/index.php/eagerlearner-spread-sheet

Right click to 'save as' and download to your pc.

(a big thanks to Gazman for providing the webspace)

My spreadsheet concentrates on:

- Money Saving Pot Tracking - see all your savings at a glance including a chart - allowing you to save all your money in one high interest account, and withdraw money for one aspect (say £150 for Christmas) without affecting your other 'pots'. Plus, earn great interest on the whole lot! Alternatively, you could do what one MSER did and use it to keep track of debts & see the 'tower' chart changing each month!

- Frills Spending- Yes - this budget section allows you to track each months 'frill' spending - not bills, but things like clothing, beauty, mobiles, cd's & dvd's, the dreaded 'miscellaneous' etc - all the things we'd all like to 'cut down on'... You can rename the headings as needed. A useful chart will then track your total frills spending per month throughout the year, showing your best and worst 'peaks' so you can work out when your hot spot months are. This section also includes a Monthly Grocery Challenge Area for those of us on the monthly challenge!

- General Savings tracking - This part deals with the savings you are able to make each month - I use it for Quidco, Pigsback, occasional discounts I receive, free vouchers I get etc.

- Debt Busting - See the Debt Buster and all your debts in one place! Makes it much easier to work out what you owe and how much is left to pay, plus how long it will take to pay off. (Remember, interest is not included - you need to add this manually!)

All sections are pre-filled in with example figures so that the charts will work on your initial viewing. If you do clear the figures the charts will dissapear until you start filling in the numbers again, giving the charts something to 'work with'.

If you prefer to see a 'normal' savings pot tower (rather than 3D), right-click, select 'chart type' and select the top middle style.

On the frills section, you can rename the columns as you wish.

This spreadsheet can be customised and no locks have been put on it - enjoy and let me know your thoughts & whether it helps! I have saved alot since working with it and after several months of use and wanting to make sure it helped me, here it is for your enjoyment

If you do not have Excel, a link to the instructions page for Open Office is on the download page. Download OpenOffice FREE - www.openoffice.org.

This spreadsheet has been approved by MSE Andrea for posting and inclusion in my signature. It is also featured in the Debt Free Wanna Be, Budgeting & Current accounts and Freebies boards for easy access.

This works in Excel or OpenPages and also works on Macs - please press the thanks button if you like it and leave any feedback/comments here and I'll be happy to help.

EagerLearner

Last edited by EagerLearner; 08-08-2011 at 4:13 PM.
    See my Savings Now Blog My 2010 Free Daily Clicking Earnings: £247.89

Baby EL arrived 12th July
    Click for my Budgeting & Debt Spreadsheet recommended by Martin
Page 1
    • linniestorm
    • By linniestorm 4th Aug 06, 10:20 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    linniestorm
    • 4th Aug 06, 10:20 AM
    • 4th Aug 06, 10:20 AM
    Looks good EagerLearner! Can't wait to try it out properly when I get home. Many thanks!!
    LBM: 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: £7244.36
    Savings and Challenges
    Masters Savings Fund: £7367.22
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 4th Aug 06, 11:36 AM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    • 4th Aug 06, 11:36 AM
    • 4th Aug 06, 11:36 AM
    Thanks Linnie - hope it helps & do let me know your thoughts!

• kathfisch
    • 4th Aug 06, 12:41 PM
    • 4th Aug 06, 12:41 PM
    Thanks for doing this! I'll download and give it a try later

Can you tell me what programme it runs in? I have a mac so not always compatible with things but I do have excel if it uses that?!
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 Proud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 4th Aug 06, 12:52 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    • 4th Aug 06, 12:52 PM
    • 4th Aug 06, 12:52 PM
    Hi all,

This runs in Excel - I have a pc I'm afraid... you should be alright ;o)

Enjoy!

• briona
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:15 PM
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:15 PM
    Hi all,

I have designed a spreadsheet to be used to monitor your spending once you have done Martin's excellent budget planner. This is like Part II if you will...

EagerLearner
    by EagerLearner
    Thanks Eager Learner – that's cool! Mine's filled in already [maybe not with *entirely* correct figures but it's the thought that counts, right!].

Note to Kathfisch: I too work on a mac and it works fine!
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
    • livinginhope
    • By livinginhope 4th Aug 06, 1:27 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    livinginhope
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:27 PM
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:27 PM
    Wow thanks EL,spent most of yesterday working on something meant to be like that,turned out a disaster,now I can show hubby what 'I have done',he needn't know the truth lol
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 4th Aug 06, 1:56 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:56 PM
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:56 PM
    Thanks Eager Learner – that's cool! Mine's filled in already [maybe not with *entirely* correct figures but it's the thought that counts, right!].

Note to Kathfisch: I too work on a mac and it works fine!
    by briona
    Excellent news - but, alas, it's meant to have 'correct' figures - no cheating he he

• EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 4th Aug 06, 1:57 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:57 PM
    • 4th Aug 06, 1:57 PM
    Wow thanks EL,spent most of yesterday working on something meant to be like that,turned out a disaster,now I can show hubby what 'I have done',he needn't know the truth lol
    by livinginhope
    He'll be impressed - maybe even use the sheet himself, eh...

• savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 5th Aug 06, 3:58 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Wow jsut what I needed. Better than opening lots of accounts or having lots of moneyboxes. Will keep me busy tomorrow. Many thanks.
    Books - the original virtual reality.

£2 Savers £104/£300
    Save 2017: £220.31/£2017
  • mossstar
    Oh thank you! This is fantastic!

x
    • Warriorsith
    • By Warriorsith 5th Aug 06, 8:39 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Warriorsith
    I have changed it a bit, just the Savings Chart to a debt chart. I've placed all my debts on it and the monthly repayments. Now I can see how much debt I have on a more colourful visual chart than just figures written down on my own spreadsheet.

Nice work Eagerlearner, hope you don't mind me adjusting it slightly for my own needs.
    "I AM THE GATEKEEPER OF MY OWN DESTINY" Nacho Libre

'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Member No.495
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 5th Aug 06, 11:33 AM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Hi all - yes please do adjust to however helps you best - your idea is fab Warrior and I am sure many will follow your lead on that one.

For me, I have copied the My Spending and My Spending Chart and created 2 more tabs - Our Spending and Our Spending Chart. For this, right click the tab you want to copy and click 'move or copy', then select the one you want to copy and tick the copy box. When they are created, rename them.

You then clear all the figures and I am going over all the joint account statements and typing in costs like:

- Food shopping
    - council tax
    - Water
    - Gas
    - Electric
    - TV Licence
    - Gym
    etc

For this to work, just right click the new 'our spending' chart, click on 'source data' and change the source of the data by just deleting 'My' and changing it to 'Our' so it fetches the data from the right place.

The entire thing has forced me to sit down each month and tick things off my statements - plus I can now see exactly what is in my ICICI savings and what share of it is allocated to what saving.

Keep at it everyone!

• sry
    Excellent, thanks.
    Was wondering how I was going to keep track of my separate 'pots' now that the ING interest rate had decreased. I use Microsoft Money but things were going to get a bit complex as everything was being transferred to ICICI.
    You are an angel....
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 5th Aug 06, 1:17 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    He he - haven't got my halo yet... just compared last years joint account spending chart with this years spending so far - and we've been naughty in 06! I can see that the 'miscellaneous' spending is what the problem is (I kind of suspected...) - it's where we go 'oh the joint account can pay for this meal/treat/new thing we 'need'...).

We deposit £480 into the joint a month and it's been averaging £540-£550 - must...stop...using...it...like...free...money! If it's not food or a bill, WE have to both fork out for it or else...
    Last edited by EagerLearner; 05-08-2006 at 3:33 PM.

• Locana
    • By Locana 5th Aug 06, 1:48 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Locana
    OOOOOOhhhhhh!! This is fantastic! Thanks!!!
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 5th Aug 06, 3:33 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    OOOOOOhhhhhh!! This is fantastic! Thanks!!!
    by Locana
    Glad you like it Locana - let us know how you get on & whether it helps

• sry
    Bump.........................................
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 7th Aug 06, 9:56 AM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,502 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Not quite sure what Bump means, but I'm hoping it's good ;o)

• saubryn
    • By saubryn 7th Aug 06, 10:24 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    saubryn
    great idea can't wait to try it out.
    DFW Nerd No. 140
    Status as of 30/11/12
    Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800 IF - 8000 British Gas - 112 - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1Posts Today

4,562Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin