Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 1st Apr 10, 1:48 PM
    • 30,745 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    • #2
    • 1st Apr 10, 1:48 PM
    • #2
    • 1st Apr 10, 1:48 PM
    Easier to just give then the money to top up what they can pay.
  • ukclarkkent
    • #3
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:05 PM
    • #3
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:05 PM
    Easier to just give then the money to top up what they can pay.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    that would depend on the interest rate of the existing mortgage perhaps?

    does "owning" the mortgage means you then own the house?

    as for answering the original question, i'd start with the current mortgage holder and ask them about changing the names. they might end up offering you a better mortgage as your earnings might be better...
    i never get any comments about my lack of upper case. i really don't. yours will be the first ever.
    • Cannon Fodder
    • By Cannon Fodder 1st Apr 10, 2:10 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    Cannon Fodder
    • #4
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:10 PM
    • #4
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:10 PM
    Do you have (or will you soon want) your own mortgage(s) ?

    Your income(s) will need to support whatever combination of mortgage you currently have, as well as the one to buy the parents' house.

    The sale price should not be too heavily discounted, as that could attract the attention of those interested in "deprivation of assets". Or potentially IHT should their deaths occur within 7 years.

    You would need a deposit for the new mortgage. Clean credit histories etc. Same as any mortgae.

    Helping rather than buying, might be simpler, but it has its dangers. If help is given in the expectation that it will be "inherited back" in due course, in the future the parents' care needs could see the disposal of their property to fund care home costs. At an average of around £26k per annum per person, a house's value can soon disappear, leaving the estate with nothing to "inherit back".

    Going on the mortgage as an extra name might be enough to protect a portion of the house, subject to choosing Tenants in Common - but the parents need to agree to change from Joint Tenants etc - as does the Lender.

    I think this is complex, and requires advice from a professional. Discuss with parents, plus solicitor/IFA/accountant, according to which you trust most with the details of the whole estate.
    Hi, we've noticed that you don't have a signature to remove. If you're not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you are feeling left out.
  • ILW
    • #5
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:12 PM
    • #5
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:12 PM
    My parents have 5 years to go on their mortgage and although they can just about make payments my sister and I would like to help them by taking over the mortgage- I am guessing this means we have to get a mortgage and use it to pay our parents who will then pay off their bank.

    How do I get started with this?

    Sorry if this seems very basic.

    Originally posted by LadyLiberty
    Just make the payments for them. You should be able to arrange a direct debit from your bank to make the monthly payments.
    • notisis
    • By notisis 1st Apr 10, 2:26 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    • #6
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:26 PM
    • #6
    • 1st Apr 10, 2:26 PM
    That's what I do - have set up a standing order to pay the shortfall in the parents' payments each month. Very easy to do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

2,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...?

  • RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

  • RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

  • Follow Martin