Tower Investigations, Global debt recovery

Options
Hello, my name is Paul; back in 1997 I had finance agreements with a couple of companies.

I received a most bizarre letter out of the blue today from a company called Tower Investigations, they requested that I contacted them, requiring me to confirm one or two details on behalf of one of their clients.

Curious of course I contacted them, the conversation led to me confirming my name address and date of birth, stupid I know.

Once I did this, they explained that they represented a company called Global Debt Recovery, who had instructed Tower, to contact me.

I was given a contact telephone number and a name, but Tower could provide me with no further information.

I made contact straight away with Global, firstly to be connected to a most in polite person.
He started the conversation by saying that his company had been appointed by GE bank to collect a outstanding debt on a hire purchase agreement that I had taken out with them at Ilford Essex Audi in 1997.
I immediately twigged that, firstly in 1997 I did not drive, nor had I ever been to Ilford in Essex, this sparked a reaction from the operatative, I then asked him for details, when was the account opened what I had I purchased.
He became very defensive, and said he would send out contractual agreements I had signed used ID etc.
I immediately suggested that he did this, and that I believed that somebody had perhaps been taking fianc! using my details as the property I lived at was a shared house, and that I had only lived in the address for a short period.
He then began making allegations that from a 2nd address I had never lived at, I had acquired a bank account and had defaulted on a loan, overdraft with Lloyds.
I had up until ten years later never had any dealings with Lloyds.
I then requested that he put me through to his fraud department as I believed that finance had been taken out 13 years ago at address I had not lived at in my name.
When I was transferred the first question I asked for was the person’s name,
I asked him for his company registration number and vat number,
His response was that it was on the letter, I told him I had no records of any details, he told me that he did not know what the details were.

Becoming suspicious I became a little cagey with my responses, he then began to question why I was being this way.

I was then transferred back to the original operator, who suggested that Global were a professional company, who dealt with people like me every day, and that they would be sending out 3 bills within 48 hours that I had to pay, or they would send bailiffs and log defaults against my credit file.

I simply requested that he do this and at the same time provide me with all the documentation and evidence confirming the defaulted accounts with the companies who had instructed them to act.
He said as the accounts all had CCJ's logged against them that he did not have to provide me with this information.

I pay a monthly subscription to Credit Expert, the first thing I did after the call was to contact them.
I provided them with the address for which Global claim the instructed companies had written to.
Credit expert confirmed no such logs had been made, and that I had to refer to the debt recovery section on this website, and if any further contact is made to me by Global to print off the Barred finance letter and send it to them.

On doing a little web investigation, I found out that back in 2007 several posts were made on forums about Tower Investigations being linked to Global debt recovery, Global debt services.

I have several questions, firstly can anybody else confirm to receiving such a letter, and what was the outcome?

I am afraid that they may consider using bailiffs etc to try to collect these monies, can they do this?

Is there no government protection, protecting the consumer against companies like this?

I am not saying I am perfect in deed in 2006 after a failed business, marriage I ended up declaring myself bankrupt.

4 years later I am beginning to rebuild my credit file, I was worried until I spoke with Experian that this may have had a negative effect.

It seems companies like these are simply trying to scare people into paying money to them, yes is an original debt, but is more than six years in age.
I paid for my lavish lifestyle back in 2006 when I was declared bankrupt.

If I had been aware of any of these debts I am claimed to owe, I would have instructed my official receiver of them and had them as part of my insolvency

Thanks for reading

Paul

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

It could be a case of mistaken identity, where some debts have been linked to your name and file in error but actually belong to a different 'Paul'.

However even if they were your debts they would be covered by your bankruptcy or failing that statute barred anyway.

If there are no CCJs then they cannot send round baliffs (they could try sending debt collectors - you can tell them to leave in any language you like). If baliffs did come (before you get this sorted) the key thing is not to let them in your house under any circumstance - don't even open the door to them.

I would probably now wait for the letters to arrive and see what they say and come back for advice when you have them.

(Oh and next time, don't phone and certainly don't start giving out dates of birth etc).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • spncrpaul
    Options
    Hi Tixy,

Thank you for your reply, I have today recieved two letters from Global,
    1 claiming to be acting on behalf of FV-1 inc
    The second claiming to be an outstanding debt to GE capital (first National tricity finance)
    The letter on behalf of FV-1 claims that Global had been assigned by llyods TSB bank on the 22nd of December 2006 lioyds TSB right title and interest in.
    Global have then assigned FV1 on the 22nd Dec all of globals right title and interest.
    The letter dated 15th march 2010 claims that I have fallen behind with payments
    The amount owed is not in dispute and that I have not made proposals that they are satisifed with.
    Their is no start date or any information of this agreement I have supposedly defaulted on, just a 12 didget account number an amount.
    I have never had any dealings with Llyods TSB other than a personal and business bank account both of which sit on my credit file as defaulted but satisfied as they were both part of my bankruptcy.

The second letter is just a collections letter again showing no start date just a account number and a debt due amount.

As I explained in the post orginaly, this is the first I have heard of any such debts and I have never had any written correspondences before at any of my address I have lived at.

I have always been on the electrol registar since 1997, If I was aware of any such debts I would have provided the details to my insolvancey officer who dealt with my bankruptcy

Please advise what you think I should do next

Thank you
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    send the prove it letter, the template is on this site, just take into account, it is not your place to prove you do not owe the debt, it is down the them to prove you do, you can also send the only contact me in writing letter as well to stop any potential phone calls.
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to send a prove it letter to this mob.

if it becomes apparent that they are chasing the Lloyds TSB accounts that were in your BR, then you should forward the letter to your OR ands ask them to deal with the blighters.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NIddy' prove it letter

You know nothing of the debt / Prove-It Letter
    You know nothing of the Debt / Prove-It Letter
    Quote:
    Dear Sirs,

Account No: XXXXXXXX

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name). I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical & psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Sign digitally
    Template Updated: 27 February 2010
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • spncrpaul
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, following on from their telephone conversation last week they were claiming that one of the debts was for an Audio centre in Essex this seems to have vanished now and it has become GE capital (first National tricity)
    very strange they seem to be a bunch of criminals if you ask me any thoughts about this?
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looking at the posts, the above is correct. I can't see you are liable for any of the above for the reasons Tixy has posted.

I would probably send a prove it letter first, then based on there reply probably forward it to the OFT for investigation as they are chasing the wrong person or out of date debts.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • spncrpaul
    Options
    Thanks for the prove it letter template,

I did have finance when I was in rented accomodation, more than 6 years ago, and I did default, but not with the 2 compaines Global claim it was with.

I have this evening had a discussion with Credit Expert, who have confirmed that no CCJ's or logged debts appear on my credit file at any of the address I have been on the electrol role at for the last 7 years for either compaines Global claim I owe money too.

The 2 letters I have received today is the first instance I am aware of having such debts.

All of my known debts I had up to the 31st of January 06 were passed on to my Insolvancy officer when I was declared bankrupt, the known debts were taken out after I purchased my first house back in 2000 upto 05.

I am actualy wondering if it is even worth paying for the recorded delivery to send the prove it letters? Can Global actualy log a default account onto my credit file with out proof of it actualy being mine, If I continue to claim to know nothing about these debts.
    what will Global have to do to proof that it was me who obtained the finance, from reading the threads it seems unlikely that Global will have copies of the orginal signed agrement, and it would be just all he said she said

What do you think I should do
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you go to this thread, you will find I have put a template letter.

It sends everything down a different road which will, if necessary, result in the Financial Ombudsman Service investigating. This will be far more satisfactory from your point of view because the Financial Ombudsman Service looks at individual complaints but the OFT does not.

On the other hand, if the FOS starts upholding a lot of complaints against a DCA, then it will tell the OFT who will then take notice.
  • spncrpaul
    Options
    Thanks Magpiecottage,

I have read the thread, do you think it is better for me to send a letter of complaint rather than the prove it letter?
    The 2 letters I have recived to day offer no reference to the actual date of the finance being taken out at what address or for what was purchased.
    I am not saying I have not defaulted on loan, finance agreements in the past. Their were honest reasons for my bankruptcy, I never obtained credit from 2000 on wards without means or intensions of not paying it back.
    I expect the debts Global are trying to recover pre date this time.
    From Jan 06 on wards I have a clean bill of health on my credit file, and only now am I starting to rebuild i.e. being able to obtain credit.
    I do not want Global adding CCJ's to my file for debts I know nothing about
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport