IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Brooch bouquet
Closed Thread
Views: 10,671
# 1
somerset-girl
Old 11-02-2010, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Post Brooch bouquet

Hi all

i've got my heart set on having a brooch bouquet, I can't post a link but if you google 'wedding brooch bouquet' there are pictures!

My best friend is convinced we can make one and there are currently people scouring junk shops and ebay for brooches! Has anyone else attempted one? Any tips/suggestions would be gratefully received!

Not getting married til July 2011 so I figure I've got time to play around and decide if it is possible to make something that looks like a bouquet rather than just a bunch of brooches!
# 2
mellymeep
Old 11-02-2010, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm currently in the process of making mine, its the hardest DIY project I've ever done cos its a lot of wire bending. I adapted a tutorial from offbeat bride which showed you how to make a crystal bouquet to just ues brooches instead. I think the most important thing is to have pretty big brooches, otherwise it looks a bit spare, its taken me half the time to find ones that fit properly.

http://offbeatbride.com/2010/02/crys...fbeat+Bride%29
trying to become a moneysaving student
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mellymeep For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
alenax
Old 11-02-2010, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You mean something like this? I really want to make one too! I might Google a tutorial or something and definitely make one, it would make a lovely keepsake as well, maybe a family heirloom that your children could get married with! I haven't started looking yet but I'm planning to go to charity shops etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to alenax For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
somerset-girl
Old 11-02-2010, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you! The picture shows exactly the sort of thing I mean! And I'm glad I'm not the only person to take on this project - most of my family have looked at me as if i'm mad when i've told them about it!
Will let you know how I get on......
# 5
m000
Old 11-02-2010, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Great idea!

I saw this yesterday but I think it's a bit too adventurous!
# 6
nic2075
Old 11-02-2010, 6:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenax View Post

Wow that is lovely isnt it? ive never sen anything like it before. I wonder how many brooches you would need? Im going to start having a lok in charity shops and see just how many flower ones I can see and how much they are and take it from there.
# 7
alenax
Old 11-02-2010, 6:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic2075 View Post
Wow that is lovely isnt it? ive never sen anything like it before. I wonder how many brooches you would need? Im going to start having a lok in charity shops and see just how many flower ones I can see and how much they are and take it from there.
It is, I love the fact it's so shiny and quirky. Not sure I'd be throwing it at the bridesmaids though!

You could probably mix and match, get some from charity shops and some from High Street places like New Look/Claire's etc, plastic flowers are quite big as accessories at the moment so it might make it easier to fill the bouquet up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alenax For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
jjbargaingal
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

Hi try also boot sales, bazaars, ebay maybe and places like greenwich market - I have bought them from places like that. Dont think I have time but it is very pretty !! Good luck with it.
We got married 17th April 2010 !! A wonderful day with my wonderful husband !!
The Following User Says Thank You to jjbargaingal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
debs2327
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

wow thats gorgeous you could make mini ones for your bridesmaids to use and keep too , i made my bouquet for my wedding and it was just silk lillies and gorgeous but i wish id seen that as i would have made one of them too , xx

just looked on ebay for you girls and theres some lovely ones that would be good to use and not too expensive

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

you could always ask around your families to see if any of them have any brooches that you could use that way it would be more personal
wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
comp angels please throw some luck my way

Last edited by debs2327; 11-02-2010 at 10:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debs2327 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Nathan85
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Brooch Bouquets by Nicola Garrett

broochbouquets.co.uk
# 11
twirlypinky
Old 08-12-2010, 5:22 PM

These are lovely! I'm making a felt and button bouquet and i intend to search little antique shops this weekend for old buttons, i bet they sell old brooches too!
saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
We're 29% of the way there...
# 12
LEJC
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Antique and quirky shops are a good place....but they do know what they are selling and sometimes the price reflects that...its not as glamourous but a good old car boot sale if you are near one can be pennies for the brooches.
# 13
TracysTravels
Old 16-11-2011, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Brooch Bouquet for my Daughters Wedding

I made a brooch bouquet for my daughters wedding, it worked really well and looked absolutley stunning, friends and family were thrilled to be able to help out by digging out forgotten brooches. I have done a blog about how we made it and how much it cost, you can find it on tracystravels.co.uk
Closed Thread