Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • altojack
    • By altojack 31st Dec 09, 3:40 PM
    • 5,102Posts
    • 79,210Thanks
    altojack
    0 WOW
    Free Text Adventure Game for pc
    • 31st Dec 09, 3:40 PM
    0 WOW
    Free Text Adventure Game for pc 31st Dec 09 at 3:40 PM
    Anyone remember ZX Sinclair Spectrum? I loved the text adventure games on them. I have come across this

http://www.grahamcluley.com/humbug.html

and wondered if anyone has used it and if it is any good. Hope it is ok

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 05-01-2010 at 9:27 PM.
Page 1
    • albionwarrior
    • By albionwarrior 31st Dec 09, 4:16 PM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    albionwarrior
    • 31st Dec 09, 4:16 PM
    • 31st Dec 09, 4:16 PM
    Thanks but it will not run on my computer.
    running windows 7 64 bit.
  • Sowilo
    • 31st Dec 09, 7:40 PM
    • 31st Dec 09, 7:40 PM
    Have scanned with avast & malware bytes. It is clean.
    Download v,quick. am about to try it with Windows Vista.
    Addition; Does not seem to work with Vista either. Unzipped files but cannot decode the text or open some of the files.
    Shame, I have been looking for this type of game. Anyone know of any would be very grateful if you could message me.
    Last edited by Sowilo; 31-12-2009 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Adding
    • altojack
    • By altojack 1st Jan 10, 2:01 AM
    • 5,102 Posts
    • 79,210 Thanks
    altojack
    • 1st Jan 10, 2:01 AM
    • 1st Jan 10, 2:01 AM
    Awwww sorry it wasn't any good. I too am looking for games where I can type in instructions and solve things like the old game 'The Crystal Frog' and 'The Island', they were on ZX Spectrum Sinclair.
    I'd love to know if there are any available to play on pc, i'm on Vista too:confused:
    • albionwarrior
    • By albionwarrior 1st Jan 10, 11:26 AM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    albionwarrior
    • 1st Jan 10, 11:26 AM
    • 1st Jan 10, 11:26 AM
    Don't know if this will help,it's an emulator for sinclair spectrum games.

http://www.spectaculator.com/

haven't tried it myself yet.

just found this site :

http://www.classic-pc-games.com/spectrum/index.html
    Last edited by albionwarrior; 01-01-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: new site added
    • altojack
    • By altojack 2nd Jan 10, 10:04 PM
    • 5,102 Posts
    • 79,210 Thanks
    altojack
    • 2nd Jan 10, 10:04 PM
    • 2nd Jan 10, 10:04 PM
    I'm not very techie minded so will ask my son to take a look for me. Thanks for the link
  • wageslave
    • 2nd Jan 10, 10:13 PM
    • 2nd Jan 10, 10:13 PM
    Awwww sorry it wasn't any good. I too am looking for games where I can type in instructions and solve things like the old game 'The Crystal Frog' and 'The Island', they were on ZX Spectrum Sinclair.
    I'd love to know if there are any available to play on pc, i'm on Vista too:confused:
    Originally posted by altojack
    Try here...
    http://www.ifarchive.org/

You will probably need a dos emulator to play most of them which is easily found and very simple to install.

Have fun
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • kacetwo
    • 4th Jan 10, 11:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 10, 11:42 PM
    Works fine in DOSBOX. I have found a torch, a barring monkey and a trombone so far. When I play the trombone it goes Phaarp.

Looks like I need to keep going to find out why there is a time machine in a crate.
  • JDPower
    • 7th Jan 10, 10:00 PM
    • 7th Jan 10, 10:00 PM
    I have found a torch, a barring monkey and a trombone so far. When I play the trombone it goes Phaarp.

Looks like I need to keep going to find out why there is a time machine in a crate.
    Originally posted by kacetwo
    LOL that kind of nonsensical stuff brings back memories of my own mostly failed experiences of those type of games back in the days of the Spectrum
  • rpb
    Worked OK for me on Windows Vista SP2, so I imagine it would work fine on Windows 7 as well.

I downloaded (v. quick - 165kb - ah, those were the days...), then right-clicked on the "humbug50.exe" file, chose Properties, picked the Compatibility tab, and chose "Windows 95". I then ran the program and realised that the download was a self-extracting archive that had unzipped itself into seven other files. I set the compatibility of the newly-extracted "humbug.exe" file to Windows 95 as well and it ran fine, although it also ran fine before I'd done this.
  • emmaamme
    If you google spectrum games a great website called 'worldofspectrum' comes up. Not been on for a few years but used to have great fun - thousands of speccy games (including adventure games) to play. Great for nostalgia.
  • surfcat
    Anyone remember ZX Sinclair Spectrum? I loved the text adventure games on them. I have come across this

http://www.grahamcluley.com/humbug.html

and wondered if anyone has used it and if it is any good. Hope it is ok

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Originally posted by altojack
    I remember this guy from the early 90s. I got a few of his PC text adventure games free with the PC-PLUS magazine. This was when disks where 5.25" and graphics were CGA, for those in the know. Jacaranda Jim was a favorite...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,574Users online

Martin's Twitter