Road service - NI

Options
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if you are able to and where you can complain about a collapsed manhole cover on a road acting like a giant pothole that my wheel went into last tuesday?

I took it to the garage on Saturday and need my wheel bearing in that wheel fixed and I'm p'eed off about it because its a difficult part to get. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
MFW 148 - Mortgage £121,000 1Jan11 / Mortgage £120,300 28Jan11 / £119,808 24Feb11 / £119,400 22 April11 / £119,089 29 May11 / £118,500 October11

Comments

• Snoozle
    Snoozle Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but years ago I drove through a pot hole and damaged my wheel badly, and needed to replace it. I got a form from Roads Service to claim the money back, and on the form they asked for all the details of my insurance and if it was fully comprehensive. When I rang to query this, they told me that they would reimburse me the money I had paid, and then claim on my car insurance to reimburse themselves (if you see what I mean). :eek:

I don't know if the person I was talking to gave me the correct info, or even if they can do that, but I do know it was enough to put me off filling in the form and returning it to them! Maybe that was the idea all along....
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if you are able to and where you can complain about a collapsed manhole cover on a road acting like a giant pothole that my wheel went into last tuesday?

I took it to the garage on Saturday and need my wheel bearing in that wheel fixed and I'm p'eed off about it because its a difficult part to get. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

You need to take a photograph of it ASAP, before they can fix it.......I live in the country where roads regularly flood....and as the road service have created this diversion down a one car country lane (as they are trying to stop the main road flooding:confused:) i have dented my alloy (because of a massive pothole covered by the flood......and my windscreen being chipped by a Tractor.....I rang them and the lady who I was talking to is sending me out a form and also commented on the diverted road being nothing more than a farmers lane!! (apparently she lives in the area!) Speak to your MP about it.....(apparently mine is getting calls everyday about the current situation!!!) Sorry got off track there.....the lady said to get a pic off it.....then they have no comeback!!
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • mcclim
    mcclim Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    When you fill out the form to claim for the damage to your wheel, the roads service will do everything in there power to avoid having to pay for the damage!!!
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I hit a pothole just going into Ards from the Dee in April & had to get the car recovered.(No damage to the car,hitting the hole tripped the 206's fuel cut out)
    So I claimed the cost of recovery.
    I got the £60 in October!!
  • seatzie
    seatzie Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    mcclim wrote: »
    When you fill out the form to claim for the damage to your wheel, the roads service will do everything in their power to avoid having to pay for the damage!!!

that has also been my experience
    Norn Iron Club Member #64

Wikkity Wikkity Wikkity Lets go racing!
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    Claims like this are handled by their Central Claims Unit in DRD at Roads Service HQ, Clarence Court, Adelaide Street, Belfast.
  • Benet
    Benet Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    You could also check out their fault reporting form over at:

https://applications.roadsni.gov.uk/RDS_ReportFault/ReportFault.aspx
  • Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Wee_Bargain_Hunter Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2010 at 1:26PM
    Options
    There's an older thread here that may help.
    I did a bit of googling a while back when it happened to us & it seems that the DOE don't always have to give you any comp. For example, different types of roads have different inspection/repair cycles. If the road has a 3-monthly cycle, then as long as this has been adhered to at the time of the incident then you will not get comp.
    However, if someone else has reported a problem with a pothole etc, then until that pothole is fixed, all claims for the same pothole will be paid out - so maybe bad for the person reporting it but good news for all the others after them. They were out to fix the pothole within a day in our case!
    That's my understanding of things anyway - maybe someone who actually knows the system could clarify things? Good luck
  • thriftyminx13
    Options
    thanks for all the advice going to email them anyway, had to go back to a garage a second time as original part wasn't the right one so lost a days leave to cover it as well. grrr. i'll let you know if i even get an acknowledgement.
    MFW 148 - Mortgage £121,000 1Jan11 / Mortgage £120,300 28Jan11 / £119,808 24Feb11 / £119,400 22 April11 / £119,089 29 May11 / £118,500 October11
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure