How can I get a CRB check (for myself)

Options
I have seen a few vacancies advertised that I'd be interested in, but they are saying that the applicant must have a CRB check in place.

I thought that CRB checks were non transferable, but I've been told that some can be transferred (possibly the enhanced ones).

However, I've also discovered that only an employer can get a CRB check done on an individual - so I can't get one done for myself, and have it in readiness. I had one done on myself years ago, when I was a childminder, but I believe that there are different rules for self-employed (a route I don't want to go down again).

Does anyone know if there is any way that I can get a CRB for myself? I have a friend who runs their own business, but it is not in an area that would require employees to be CRB checked. Would it be possible for them to request a CRB check for me, even though I would never be employed by them?

This is the third job that I've come across that insists applicants have a current CRB check, so it's something I think is quite important.

Comments

• wontfallforit
    Options
    Hootie19 wrote: »
    I have seen a few vacancies advertised that I'd be interested in, but they are saying that the applicant must have a CRB check in place.

I thought that CRB checks were non transferable, but I've been told that some can be transferred (possibly the enhanced ones).

I might be wrong here, but I believe they can be transferred within a certain time frame (something like 6 months) for the purposes of starting a new job (though the new employer will have to run a check nevertheless). Again, I may be wrong.
    However, I've also discovered that only an employer can get a CRB check done on an individual - so I can't get one done for myself, and have it in readiness. I had one done on myself years ago, when I was a childminder, but I believe that there are different rules for self-employed (a route I don't want to go down again).

It's the catch-22. They need CRB...you can't get yourself checked. It doesn't seem like a very efficient process to me, but as far as I understand, only employers can do this.
    Does anyone know if there is any way that I can get a CRB for myself? I have a friend who runs their own business, but it is not in an area that would require employees to be CRB checked. Would it be possible for them to request a CRB check for me, even though I would never be employed by them?

Hmm, not sure at all, someone will likely be along to help in this thread. If the employer has the capability to run a CRB check for you, I don't see anything wrong with it (the result of the check would be the same, regardless of who processed it), but, that's not to say it's actually legal and/or admissable, so best to wait until one of the MSE residents in the know spots this thread.
    £1 / 50p 2011 holiday flight + hotel expenses = £98.50600

HSBC 8% 12mth regular savings = £80 out of a maximum remaining allowance of £2500

"3 months' salary" reserve = £00 / £3600 :eek:
  • junkmayle
    Options
    CRBs are carried out via registered bodies. You cant get a CRB check on yourself. Self employed cant either. Reason for that is that CRB may release to the employer but NOT the subject of the check, any 'soft intelligence' police may have on you. This amounts to tittle tattle, gossip, rumour, innuendo etc, and police wont want you to see this.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    When a job is advertised as requiring a CRB check, they dont mean you to have it in place yourself. Its just a warning that they will carry out a CRB if you get the job and the job offer will be subject to a satisfactory check.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    If the job involves frequent contact with vulnerable groups, workers WILL have to register with the new ISA, and will cost £64, but free for a volunteer. This is over and above any CRB checks in place, but IS transferable and is a one off cost with constant lifetime monitoring thereafter. See:

https://www.isa-gov.org

This is the one that involves student exchanges, taxi drivers, scouts, guides, doctors nurses, teachers, meals on wheels volunteers, social workers, vicars, imams uncle Tom Cobley and all etc
  • Hootie19
    Hootie19 Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2009 at 1:47PM
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    When a job is advertised as requiring a CRB check, they dont mean you to have it in place yourself. Its just a warning that they will carry out a CRB if you get the job and the job offer will be subject to a satisfactory check.

This is an excerpt from the job ad

"You MUST be CRB cleared to apply for this role, it is essential"

I took that to mean that the CRB must be currently held, not that it will be applied for.

The same (about having to be CRB cleared) was said by an agency who had a role I could have done standing on my head - but they and their client insisted that the applicant had a CRB check already in place.
  • robredz
    edited 26 November 2009 at 2:34PM
    Options
    This is an excerpt from the job ad

"You MUST be CRB cleared to apply for this role, it is essential"

And the same was said by an agency who had a role I could have done standing on my head - but they and their client insisted that the applicant had a CRB check already in place.

If you register with an agency, they should do the CRB, in any case it may be that you may need ISA registration as well.

You could query the job advert with the prospective employer stating that the CRB requirement is a barrier to them having any suitable applicants, especially for an enhanced CRB, as an individual, or self employed person cannot have one by law. Also unlike an ISA registration the CRB is not transferable. Perhaps they are looking at the likelihood of any CRB they have to pay for on an employee coming back clear, by relying on the fact one was done on a candidate recently.
  • junkmayle
    Options
    The CRB does not 'clear' anyone. It is merely info given to the employer, who then decides whether or not to employ. If ISA registration is needed, then they decide whether the prospective employee can be hired or not. No discretion allowed by the employer.
  • robredz
    Options
    ISA registration is compulsory for persons engaged in many job roles now, it is ongoing monitoring, with an employer under a duty to notify (on pain of criminal sanctions) any suspect behaviour by an employee or volunteer to the ISA, who use CRB information along with soft information, and tittle tattle to decide a persons suitability. their burden of proof is civil i.e. "balance of probability" rather than the "beyond reasonable doubt" that applies to the police.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a friend who runs their own business, but it is not in an area that would require employees to be CRB checked. Would it be possible for them to request a CRB check for me, even though I would never be employed by them?
    No, it would be a breach of the CRB's guidance to ask for a CRB on someone who doesn't NEED to have one, and as you're not employed by her then she has not reason to request such a check.

I think I would phone the CRB and tell them who is doing this, because IMO it's not at all best practice. My understanding is that these checks are NOT portable, and although some employers will look at a new employee's copy of a disclosure recently carried out, they still have to request a new one.

You can get a copy of your criminal record yourself (or a statement that there's no information held about you) for a small charge, which IMO is as much use as a copy of a disclosure carried out for someone else. Brain not functioning well enough to find link tonight, sorry ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport