Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Anyone been for an interview with Sainsburys rece... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone been for an interview with Sainsburys recently?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,622
# 1
booklover
Old 15-11-2009, 9:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Anyone been for an interview with Sainsburys recently?

Hello everyone

My 18 year old son has an interview with Sainsburys on Tuesday and I would appreciate any advice/tips please.

He has been to a few interviews over the last year but but never gets offered the job.

many thanks in advance

Fiona

Last edited by booklover; 15-11-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: wrong age
# 2
hullight
Old 15-11-2009, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sounds like his CV/application forms have been good but maybe he should be asking for feedback after interviews!

If the first stage is a group session he needs to take the lead but not be too overpowering - they like to see you can delegate! He could try and involve people he thinks are being quiet - this might seem like interview suicide but the panel will notice you doing it!

If it is the type of supermarket interview where they take you out on the shop floor with a visitor badge maybe he could ask if he can help any customers to show off his skills - shows he's keen.

And if it's a one to one interview with a manager supermarkets look for smiles, confidence, hard work and flexibility. Maybe he is willing to cover for people in other departments, learning new things in the process? Or work overtime in the run up to Christmas.

Good luck to him
The Following User Says Thank You to hullight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
DCFC79
Old 16-11-2009, 9:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

In my experience with sainsburys if you say one or maybe all of the following it would be a good thing:

say you dont mind helping other people on other departments, able to work extra hours when asked,

obviously if he dresses smart would be a good thing but you know that anyway
# 4
AlwaysWorking
Old 16-11-2009, 9:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi. I'd an interview with Sainsburys for a p/t job last week and had my induction on Saturday & Sunday. The interview is in two parts, the first an interview with someone from personnel and the head of the department I was applying for (checkouts) and then you watch a dvd. In the interview I was asked questions such as why I was applying for the job and what did I know about Sainsburys. They also asked how flexible with hours I was and about previous jobs.

The dvd lasts around an hour and has various sections. In one section you watch a number of scenes and note two things that are wrong in each scene e.g spills on the floor, shoplifters, under age drinkers etc. Another section involves questions about your personality and you have to say if you agree/disagree etc. Another section is simple maths e.g a customer has 8 apples and wants another five, how many does he have in total? Another section shows you a scene and gives you three options. You have to put these in order of what you would do.

I hope this helps!
# 5
chrisd8780
Old 16-11-2009, 3:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
Hello everyone

My 18 year old son has an interview with Sainsburys on Tuesday and I would appreciate any advice/tips please.

He has been to a few interviews over the last year but but never gets offered the job.

many thanks in advance

Fiona
I just had to take a dvd test on customer service etc and then a numeracy test.Then a chat with interviewer
# 6
ses6jwg
Old 16-11-2009, 3:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

1) Wear a shirt and tie, and smart shoes (suit jacket might be a bit OTT). I turned up to my Woolworths interview a few years ago and the others were in jeans. I got the job.

2) Smile

3) Be prepared. Get a bit of a background read up on Sainsburys - how many new stores have they been opening? How are they competing?

4) Basic things to say when going for a customer service role:

- You are polite and friendly and "willing to go the extra mile" (sounds cheesy but it will win points)
- You are flexible and will be able to work extra hours if asked, including weekends/ bank holidays (if he has a car then stress this point)
- You enjoy working as part of a team and you are a quick learner

5) Be prepared to be thrown in at the deep end. On my Woolworths interview I had to go around the store randomly asking customers questions and filling in a form. Also if working as part of a team on a group exercise be involved but don't be pushy.

Last edited by ses6jwg; 16-11-2009 at 3:37 PM.
Closed Thread