Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > Claiming for laundry of work uniform (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Claiming for laundry of work uniform
Closed Thread
Views: 3,917
# 1
Bruceinscotland
Old 08-11-2009, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Claiming for laundry of work uniform

Hi guys
do you know how i can claim for laundry of my work uniform? I believe that they is a small yearly amount claimable against the IR and that i can claim back for the last 6 years. Is there a templete letter available to use?
regards Bruce
# 2
welshmoneylover
Old 08-11-2009, 9:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

hmm, I'm interested to know this too as I've been responsible for washing my works uniform for the last 4+ years!
Good on the Tories
# 3
alwaysonthego
Old 08-11-2009, 9:38 PM

MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
I'm a Board Guide on the Benefits & Tax Credits, Food Shopping & Groceries, Freebies (no spend required), Health & Fitness, Marriage, Relationships & Families, Music MoneySaving, Special Occasions & Other Celebrations boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. However, please remember board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this).
# 4
anotherginger
Old 08-11-2009, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i did this in my previous job. i'm not sure what your circumstances are, but i was able to do this because it was necessary to wear a uniform and there were no laundering facilities provided.

i think the union were involved somehow, but this was before my time. all i did was write a letter to the tax office stating that my employer required me to wear a uniform and did not offer laundering.

it upped my tax allowance by about 65 quid i think.
# 5
LeeSouthEast
Old 08-11-2009, 9:44 PM

http://www.fivepencepiece.com/2009/0...-cut-your-tax/
Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
# 6
borders_dude
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

All I did was phone the tax office, im centre 1. They took the details over the phone for the past couple of years and my tax code was adjusted in a couple of weeks.

I had to write in for 5 & 6 years ago and my tax code was changed a second time.

Its no hassle.

Providing you have to wear a uniform and have no facility to do it at work.
When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
# 7
fengirl
Old 09-11-2009, 8:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to fengirl

There have been long, long threads on this subject over the past year. This is what you do:
1. Go to www.hmrc.gov.uk and search for 'fixed rate deduction'. Look for your trade there, eg if you work in Tescos, you are a worker in the food industry. This list tells you the agreed annual expense allowance.
2. The allowances are agreed between HMRC and the unions, but you dont have to be a union member to claim.
3. You can go back 6 years with your claim as long as you were doing that job for that time.
4. The allowance is not only for laundry, it is for other expenses incurred in the course of work such as replacement of own tools to do the job, safety boots, protective clothing (apart from what one would wear normally), black tights for nurses, etc etc. If you have had to expend more than the set amount, you can claim the extra, but be prepared to produce receipts if asked.
5. You can claim the allowance even if only employed for part of the year or if part time.
6. You need to ask your tax office to adjust this years code and for them to issue a payable order for the repayment due for previous years - important or other wise they will stick the whole lot in this years code and you effectively have to wait for the end of the year for the refund.
The Following User Says Thank You to fengirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
TM1976
Old 09-11-2009, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The template letter on the link should be OK to use but the narrative is incorrect when he says you can claim the full amount back, you only get the tax back which is likely to be 20% of the amount. Still worth doing though, there should be some interest for older years too.
# 9
LeeSouthEast
Old 09-11-2009, 7:14 PM

Didn't know about the payable order bit fengirl - thanks for that!
Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
Closed Thread