Main site > Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > Claiming for laundry of work uniform (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Claiming for laundry of work uniform
Closed Thread
Views: 4,043
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 08-11-2009, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default Claiming for laundry of work uniform

Hi guys
do you know how i can claim for laundry of my work uniform? I believe that they is a small yearly amount claimable against the IR and that i can claim back for the last 6 years. Is there a templete letter available to use?
regards Bruce
Bruceinscotland is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 08-11-2009, 9:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea
Posts: 2,646

hmm, I'm interested to know this too as I've been responsible for washing my works uniform for the last 4+ years!
Good on the Tories
welshmoneylover is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 08-11-2009, 9:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Yorkshire
Posts: 7,916


Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email
alwaysonthego is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 08-11-2009, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 388

i did this in my previous job. i'm not sure what your circumstances are, but i was able to do this because it was necessary to wear a uniform and there were no laundering facilities provided.

i think the union were involved somehow, but this was before my time. all i did was write a letter to the tax office stating that my employer required me to wear a uniform and did not offer laundering.

it upped my tax allowance by about 65 quid i think.
anotherginger is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 08-11-2009, 9:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,767
Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
LeeSouthEast is offline
Report Post
# 6
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,908

All I did was phone the tax office, im centre 1. They took the details over the phone for the past couple of years and my tax code was adjusted in a couple of weeks.

I had to write in for 5 & 6 years ago and my tax code was changed a second time.

Its no hassle.

Providing you have to wear a uniform and have no facility to do it at work.
When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
borders_dude is offline
Report Post
# 7
Old 09-11-2009, 8:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northants
Posts: 4,510
Send a message via MSN to fengirl

There have been long, long threads on this subject over the past year. This is what you do:
1. Go to and search for 'fixed rate deduction'. Look for your trade there, eg if you work in Tescos, you are a worker in the food industry. This list tells you the agreed annual expense allowance.
2. The allowances are agreed between HMRC and the unions, but you dont have to be a union member to claim.
3. You can go back 6 years with your claim as long as you were doing that job for that time.
4. The allowance is not only for laundry, it is for other expenses incurred in the course of work such as replacement of own tools to do the job, safety boots, protective clothing (apart from what one would wear normally), black tights for nurses, etc etc. If you have had to expend more than the set amount, you can claim the extra, but be prepared to produce receipts if asked.
5. You can claim the allowance even if only employed for part of the year or if part time.
6. You need to ask your tax office to adjust this years code and for them to issue a payable order for the repayment due for previous years - important or other wise they will stick the whole lot in this years code and you effectively have to wait for the end of the year for the refund.
fengirl is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to fengirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Old 09-11-2009, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 713

The template letter on the link should be OK to use but the narrative is incorrect when he says you can claim the full amount back, you only get the tax back which is likely to be 20% of the amount. Still worth doing though, there should be some interest for older years too.
TM1976 is offline
Report Post
# 9
Old 09-11-2009, 7:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,767

Didn't know about the payable order bit fengirl - thanks for that!
Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
LeeSouthEast is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 1:26 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 26 November 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

  • RT @pauldavidmartin: @MartinSLewis Sony TV in @Argos_Online Black Friday sale £499 down to £299. Same TV is £289 on Amazon but not in the t?
  • Slightly starstruck meeting Gazza in the make up room at ITV, then heard one of the make up artists ask him "are you from Newcastle then?"
  • Before buying owt today ask yourself: Do I need it? Is it worth it? Have I checked if it's cheaper elsewhere? If any are no. Don't buy. RT

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.