Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > N. Ireland > Do you get any extra jobseekers alowance payments... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Do you get any extra jobseekers alowance payments @ xmas?
Closed Thread
Views: 10,940
# 1
weebop88
Old 04-11-2009, 3:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Do you get any extra jobseekers alowance payments @ xmas?

Hi everyone,
am all new to this...i was just wondering if you get any extra job seekers allowance payments @ christmas to help you cover any additional costs you may have to encounter? i.e christmas dinner presents etc etc...

i am 21 years old and lost my job in march :confused:
i am out a fortune as i live alone also so was just wondering if we get an extra payment...

anyways all comments and ideas very welcome as i really do not no how i will afford xmas as i can hardly afford to live at the minute

xxx
# 2
Lube
Old 04-11-2009, 3:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018704

Who is eligible?

To get a Christmas Bonus you must be a resident in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, any EEA country, or Switzerland and be entitled to at least one of the following benefits in the qualifying week:
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
  • Industrial Death Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Mobility Supplement
  • Pension Credit - the guarantee element
  • State Pension (including Graduated Retirement Benefit)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
  • War Disablement Pension if aged 65 or over
  • War Widow's Pension
  • Widow's Pension
  • Widowed Mother's Allowance
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance
The Following User Says Thank You to Lube For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Choco
Old 04-11-2009, 4:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebop88 View Post
Hi everyone,
am all new to this...i was just wondering if you get any extra job seekers allowance payments @ christmas to help you cover any additional costs you may have to encounter? i.e christmas dinner presents etc etc...

i am 21 years old and lost my job in march :confused:
i am out a fortune as i live alone also so was just wondering if we get an extra payment...

anyways all comments and ideas very welcome as i really do not no how i will afford xmas as i can hardly afford to live at the minute

xxx

Sorry but no, I used to work in SSA. You may get paid early but thats about it. I would advise you whilst on JSA Income Based get a check up with Dentist and any follow up treatmentas at least that's free!
# 4
stephenmcc
Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebop88 View Post
Hi everyone,
So you want to see if you can get more money off the govt to buy presents for people?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stephenmcc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
blued
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm pretty sure that friends and family will understand if you dont get them a present this year seeing as you're unemployed. Obviously it will be more difficult if you have kids. Are there no temporary xmas jobs in your area that you could do while looking for more permanent employment?

I dont think the tax payer should be expected to pay extra benefits to people at any time of the year.
# 6
coco1980
Old 05-11-2009, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

no im a single parent and was on job seekers a few years ago, i didn't get any extra money at xmas and my son also has a birthday 2 weeks before xmas
The Following User Says Thank You to coco1980 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
anotherginger
Old 05-11-2009, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

why should people who work provide the money for your christmas dinner and presents?

i know its not a nice situation to be in (assuming that you would prefer to be working) and i have been on JSA before, but you don't have to buy extravagant christmas presents. can you go to a relatives for christmas dinner and chip in a bit, such as help with the cooking/preparation, or bring one of the side dishes or a bottle of wine?

you're only 21....do u really need to live alone? if you houseshared you would be paying less rent and less bills. i'm 25 and i'm a lodger which helps to bring down costs for me.

i would agree with the post someone made about using this opportunity to get freebies, such as going to the dentist etc. When i was on JSA i went to belfast tech and signed up for an evening course which was subsidised but cost me 150 quid. my employers recently looked up the course for one of my colleagues and found that it costs over 1000!
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherginger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Indo77
Old 05-11-2009, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't like the tone of opinions in this thread, maybe the OP was naive to think she would get a bonus but there is too much of the "I am a Taxpayer who pays for you" attitude in this thread. I've been in the same position in the past at that age. Fact is many people have lost their jobs and are struggling. I know temps grateful to get anything. It's not always a case of people not wanting to work.

weebop88,

Lots of places are looking temp Christmas staff. Not an ideal situation next to a permanant job but still will help at this time of year.

Last edited by Indo77; 05-11-2009 at 5:33 PM. Reason: add extra line
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Indo77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sleepymy
Old 05-11-2009, 5:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yeah, also try the freebies board on here, you never know what you might be able to pick up to give as presents. You can also consider re-gifting things from last year you haven't used (just don't give it back to the person who gave it to you!). You'd be surprised at what you can find in the Charity shops and if you like making things you can google for home made gift ideas. Gifts can also include little promise cards i.e. doing little jobs for people as their gift or taking them on free days out/free ticket shows they normally wouldn't think of.
The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
# 10
anotherginger
Old 05-11-2009, 7:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo77 View Post
I don't like the tone of opinions in this thread, maybe the OP was naive to think she would get a bonus
i do think it was naivity, thats why i gave some pointers to reduce outgoings:
  • don't live alone
  • pick up freebies while on JSA - not only health, but also education
  • join other people for xmas dinner
  • don't go mad buying presents!
i think sometimes people go over the top at xmas, and theres no need. a lot of people get into debt at this time of year showing off that they can afford to buy presents. people just need to be realisitic - i only buy for immediate family and boyfriend, so thats 4 presents in total.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anotherginger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
purt
Old 05-11-2009, 8:01 PM

Have a duff Christmas this year and appreciate what a normal Christmas is like next year!

Agree with the others; you should consider moving back home if you're in a position to do so. Although, presumably you'd lose your housing benefit if you did?
# 12
tara747
Old 05-11-2009, 9:37 PM

weebop88 - have you looked around MSE to see how you can make the most of your money? The Debt Free Wannabe and Old Style boards are particularly good. I've been on JSA (briefly) post-graduation and I know that it's hard to make ends meet, I wish MSE had existed back then!!!

There's advice on:

Budgeting
Food shopping and cooking
Freebies
Discounts
Vouchers
Saving on everything from utilities to mobiles
And lots more.

I agree that you should look into housesharing. Is Housing Benefit paying all your rent? I'm just assuming you rent - apologies if this isn't the case). I would be reluctant to live alone and I earn a good bit above the average wage! Sharing splits the rent and bills and you would be better off instantly. Moving back home would be even better if circumstances allow, I don't know if this is practicable.

As for Christmas, people WILL understand. Lots of people have lost their jobs and I know plenty who are tightening their belts this Christmas. You will always get people who insist on spending ££££s on Christmas, especially if they have kids, but don't feel pressured into keeping up with the Joneses! I find that those who spend the most on Christmas are usually doing it on credit, which is a very bad idea. Try to keep costs to a minimum, maybe do a secret Santa with friends and/or siblings so you only have to buy one gift each (and set a budget e.g. £10 or whatever). And I take it you will be going home to the folks for Christmas and they will feed you copious amounts of turkey?

You can save on heating costs etc by going to the library and reading in peace for a bit, use their fuel instead! Also they have free internet.

Totally agree with those who say you should get your teeth sorted now and sign up for courses at a reduced rate or free.

Is there anywhere you think you could save money? Do you want to post a SOA (statement of affairs) to see if we can help you trim costs?

Phew, sorry for the mega post!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs
Save 87,000 by 31 Dec 2014 54,342 saved by Dec 2011 62,200 saved by Dec 2012 74,127 saved by Dec 2013
eBay sales - 4,559.89 so far
Cashback - 1,604.71 so far
Be a nicer daughter, sister and friend

Last edited by tara747; 05-11-2009 at 9:43 PM.
# 13
greendollar
Old 06-11-2009, 3:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't think the missus will be happy if I book her a dentists appointment for her xmas present......got any other good ideas?lol
# 14
Lube
Old 06-11-2009, 4:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My post was information and just gave out eligibility

so may I correct you

"I don't like the tone of some of the opinions in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo77 View Post
I don't like the tone of opinions in this thread, maybe the OP was naive to think she would get a bonus but there is too much of the "I am a Taxpayer who pays for you" attitude in this thread. I've been in the same position in the past at that age. Fact is many people have lost their jobs and are struggling. I know temps grateful to get anything. It's not always a case of people not wanting to work.

weebop88,

Lots of places are looking temp Christmas staff. Not an ideal situation next to a permanant job but still will help at this time of year.
# 15
Pretani
Old 06-11-2009, 7:33 PM

You can get crisis loans, a few hundred pounds if you state things you really need like bed, bed clothes, clothes, furniture etc (not presents), but you'll have to pay it back. It may tide you over until you get a job next year when the job situation picks up again.

then there's the charity option, certain churches help provide you with necessities, kit you out, but they'll not give you money or be taken for a ride, they'll help you out.

the crisis loan seems the best for you

hope everything works out, I know what its like to be scraping the barrel.

Last edited by Pretani; 06-11-2009 at 7:38 PM.
# 16
leftieM
Old 07-11-2009, 1:54 PM

Sympathies for your plight OP. I heard of a nice idea if you are skint - give people presents based on something you can do for them e.g. wash car, walk dog, clean house, mind kids etc. If you are unemployed then you are rich in the one commodity that many are poor in - time. Use this to give people something that might really matter, like respite from kids/ housework/ sick or elderly relatives. That'd mean a lot more than a set of soaps from Boots!
Stercus accidit
The Following User Says Thank You to leftieM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread