Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > How many leaflets can you deliver in an hour? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How many leaflets can you deliver in an hour?
Closed Thread
Views: 15,306
# 1
merlotsmum
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How many leaflets can you deliver in an hour?

Hi all

I have done a search to see if anyone can offer advice about delivering leaflets but could not find anything, so hope someone can assist?

If you take a regular suburb, how many houses can you get around in an hour delivering leaflets?

Any advice is appreciated, I have an offer but it looks like it could work out less than minimum wage.

Thank you in advance.
MM
# 2
minerva_windsong
Old 03-11-2009, 1:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Having spent large portions of my student life doing this every weekend, I would say that 60 leaflets an hour was about my average rate.

That said though there are several factors to take into account - house layout (going up and down driveways will eat into your time, what kind of leaflets they are (something like a one page flyer is a lot easier than something bulky like a free newspaper for instance, and then you have to get them past draft excluders and suchlike), how fast you walk etc.

*has clearly spent too long dealing with this*
Getting married to my best friend 1st November 2014
"I don't want a fashionable wedding, but only those about me whom I love, and to them I wish to look and be my familiar self.' - Meg March, Little Women

No More Toiletries! 31/3/14 - 170 (16 IN, 27 OUT) Spend 56.73

Last edited by minerva_windsong; 04-11-2009 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to minerva_windsong For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tiff
Old 03-11-2009, 1:43 PM

I did it recently for 2 companies, once paid 25 per 1000 leaflets, the other paid 143 for 25 hours work to be done in a week. The first job was excruciatingly difficult, I had 3000 leaflets to deliver and it was suggested I completed it in a day to get it over with but there was no way I could have done it in a day, even if I had the time.

The second job was much better, I made sure I spent 25 hours delivering and the company then arranged to collect the boxes of leaflets I had left. This job worked out at minimum wage, the previous job worked out much less than that.

I would do the 25 hour week one again, but sadly they have not yet paid me!
A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
The Following User Says Thank You to tiff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
merlotsmum
Old 03-11-2009, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you for your reponses so far, my friend and I are going to do a few time and motions (and no doubt loose cash for under charging).

Appreciate your input

Kind regards
MM
# 5
gilligansyle
Old 03-11-2009, 5:44 PM

It does depend on the area. I get paid 25 per 1000 and deliver to the same estate each week, 3,500 leaflets. but most of it is flats and terraced houses so no front gardens, gates to open and close etc. and the leaflets are only A5 sized so easy to fold, so I can do 2 - 300 per hour. In a suburb of semis with gardens I would imagine it to take a minute to do each one.

Free newspapers etc are harder to do as bulkier and there is also the problem of how many you can carry at once (unless you want one of those trolley things?) and the logistics of parking your car with the stuff you can't carry.
Debts at LBM - Mortgages 128497 - non mortgage 27497 Debt now 114150109032 85407 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
The Following User Says Thank You to gilligansyle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
merlotsmum
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligansyle View Post
It does depend on the area. I get paid 25 per 1000 and deliver to the same estate each week, 3,500 leaflets. but most of it is flats and terraced houses so no front gardens, gates to open and close etc. and the leaflets are only A5 sized so easy to fold, so I can do 2 - 300 per hour. In a suburb of semis with gardens I would imagine it to take a minute to do each one.

Free newspapers etc are harder to do as bulkier and there is also the problem of how many you can carry at once (unless you want one of those trolley things?) and the logistics of parking your car with the stuff you can't carry.
Thank you, it is factoring everything in to make it worth while! All good fun. Thanks for your input.

MM
# 7
meandmaboy
Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cool Leaflets per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlotsmum View Post
Thank you, it is factoring everything in to make it worth while! All good fun. Thanks for your input.

MM
Good Morning,
Teenage son delivers free newspaper & leaflets & can do approx 100 houses,(semis / terraced & all with gates & driveways) in about 35 minutes.Pay for this is rubbish something like 2 1/2 p per house & approx 1p for about 3 leaflets. He can't wait to get a Sat job & give this up, he also has about 100 flats to do & they can be done quicker if front door to block is opened other than that if he can't get in no paper is delivered

HTH
# 8
merlotsmum
Old 04-11-2009, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmaboy View Post
Good Morning,
Teenage son delivers free newspaper & leaflets & can do approx 100 houses,(semis / terraced & all with gates & driveways) in about 35 minutes.Pay for this is rubbish something like 2 1/2 p per house & approx 1p for about 3 leaflets. He can't wait to get a Sat job & give this up, he also has about 100 flats to do & they can be done quicker if front door to block is opened other than that if he can't get in no paper is delivered

HTH
It seems so easy for people to be exploited delivering leaflets, then I guess this is why some folks drop leaflets in the bin and pocket the cash, not that I am willing to do this.

Hope he gets sorted with his Sat job.

MM
The Following User Says Thank You to merlotsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
PasturesNew
Old 04-11-2009, 2:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Mostly, people who do leaflet delivery tend to already be delivering the weekly free papers and just add their private work leaflets into their pile.

That is how it's done so cheap: they're delivering so many at a time. Usually being paid to do the papers and then making about 5/1000 A5 leaflets on top.

I have some resources around somewhere with prices, I'll see if I can find them easily.

Edit1: Just found an individual advertising the service at 50/1000 in Cornwall.
Edit2: I have a formal company offering leafleting work paying leafleters 6 hours on a specific Saturday, 6 hours' work for 60.

Last edited by PasturesNew; 04-11-2009 at 2:36 PM.
# 10
merlotsmum
Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasturesNew View Post
Mostly, people who do leaflet delivery tend to already be delivering the weekly free papers and just add their private work leaflets into their pile.

That is how it's done so cheap: they're delivering so many at a time. Usually being paid to do the papers and then making about 5/1000 A5 leaflets on top.

I have some resources around somewhere with prices, I'll see if I can find them easily.

Edit1: Just found an individual advertising the service at 50/1000 in Cornwall.
Edit2: I have a formal company offering leafleting work paying leafleters 6 hours on a specific Saturday, 6 hours' work for 60.
Excellent news on your edit 2 and thank you for the information, much appreciated.

Best wishes
MM
# 11
leedsfan
Old 16-11-2009, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If walking quickly about 120 per hour but it's tiring!
# 12
bexlincs1
Old 16-11-2009, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I used to do 1000 leaflets for 40...and it took anywhere between 5 and 8 hours to do this..depending on the type of houses, and I enjoyed i as it was far cheaper than going to the gym

On the other hand my other half worked for someone who was goin to pay a measly 25 per 1000....but he HAD to deliver 3000 a day...so unless he was goin to work around 24 hours he had no chance! Some people are totally ridiculous in their expectations!!
Pigsback 236/1000 (30 vouchers claimed),
Cashbackkings 10.93 pending (13 claimed),
Lightspeed 110 (8 claimed),
Onepoll 37.45/40
# 13
dhs87
Old 17-11-2009, 7:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Realistic expectations can be 250 an hour in the right conditions. My best was delivering some very heavy enveloped newsletters for a company directly on a per-day basis. I did about 170 an hour but if these were normal A5 leaflets, I could have pushed for 250 on a suburban street with a mixture of terraced houses, semi-detatched properties and driveways. This was about 500 for £50 a day. They took up an entire duffel bag.

It is a fairly physical job. It will depend on your own performance so you won't know 'til you try. Best advice is get it on a per job basis and not per thousand per hour. And another tip is that free newspapers weigh too much and take up a lot of room.
# 14
merlotsmum
Old 17-11-2009, 8:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks all for your feedback :-)

MM
Closed Thread