We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free winter flu jabs if you're eligible, & now only £8 if you're not

Options
Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 5 November 2009 at 6:54PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif What's this about?[/title]
It's now possible to grab a winter flu jab (don't confuse this with the Swine flu immunisation) in a supermarket for just £8, which is often much cheaper than getting it done at a doctors' surgery (as if you're not entitled to it free, paying privately can cost a fair whack - from £17 to £35 going on last year's figures - depending on the clinic you visit).

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif Is it suitable for you?[/title]
First check whether a flu jab is right for you on the NHS website:
[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif Can you get it free?[/title]
Then check whether you're eligible to get one free from your surgery (although as surgeries have limited supplies, aimed at the most vulnerable, don't push trying to get a free one if you're told you're not eligible).

Even if you're not entitled to a free jab, but are able to pay for one privately, as stocks are prioritised there's no certainty you'll get one from your doctor.

Free flu jabs are available if you:
  • are 65 or over
  • live in a residential care home
  • have diabetes
  • are being treated for cancer
  • have lowered immunity due to HIV or steroid medication
  • have a long-term (chronic) condition, such as kidney or liver disease
  • work closely with poultry
  • are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person
  • are a healthcare or social care professional

If you're still in doubt, double check with your GP/nurse.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif Paying for a flu jab[/title]
If you've checked for eligibility and whether it's suitable and still plan to have a jab then at Tesco it'll cost you under a tenner.

Though do check your local pharmacy to see whether it'll do it cheap too.
If any cheaper immunisation offers come to light, we'll include the information in the free MoneySaving email at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

TESCO

Price: £8.
Where available?: In selected stores with pharmacies (192 in total) across England and Wales.
Find your nearest: Use the Tesco store locator (tick "Pharmacy Available" and enter your postcode) or ring 0800 505 555 to find your nearest store with a pharmacy then call it to double check it's available and book.
What date/times?: From now until Friday 18 December, though may be extended if demand is still high. Double check with the pharmacy of your choice for opening times, as it depends on the availability of the specially trained pharmacist based there.
Tesco Clubcard Points received? Yes.

SAINSBURY'S

Price: £8.
Where available?: In selected stores with pharmacies (140 in total) across England and Wales.
Find your nearest: Use Sainsbury's pharmacy store locator to find your nearest clinic then call it to double check it's taking part and to make an appointment.
What date/times?: From now until stock runs out. Double check with the pharmacy of your choice for opening times.

SUPERDRUG

Price: £9.95.
Where available?: In selected stores with pharmacies (over 100) across England and Wales.
Find your nearest: Use the Superdrug Pharmacy store locator to find your closest walk-in clinic.
What date/times?: From now until stock runs out. Double check with the pharmacy of your choice for opening times.

MORRISONS

Price: £10.
Where available?: In selected stores with pharmacies across England and Wales.
Find your nearest: Use the Morrisons Pharmacy store locator. You must visit Fluvouchers.co.uk before 12 December to pay for your flu vaccine, and you'll be sent a voucher entitling you to it. But be careful; you can't get a refund once you've paid for it. Appointments should also be booked online.
What date/times?: From now until Saturday 19 December. Double check with the pharmacy of your choice for opening times.

BOOTS

Price: £12.99, plus you'll get a packet of Bimuno prebiotic power (10 sachets), worth a couple of quid, while stock lasts.
Where available?: In selected stores with pharmacies across England and Wales.
Find your nearest: Use the Boots Pharmacy store locator to find the telephone number of your closest clinic to make an appointment.
Boots Advantage Card Points received? Yes.
If you come across alternative cheap ways to get it, please click reply to post details in the thread to help fellow MoneySavers.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif Related Health MoneySaving guides [/title]
There's no need to spend shed loads to stay helathy. Take a look at the following guides for tips on cutting the cost without putting your health at risk:
[signupbox]test[/signupbox]

Comments

• magicmat
    magicmat Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Do many non "At risk" people get this? Im 32, and healthy, but the flu can be a right pain, and loss of time/and medication can cost way more than £8! Should I go get one? !
  • K8J
    K8J Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :confused:

Hi I've read your post with interest but is anything available in supermarkets / boots in Scotland?
  • esio_trot
    esio_trot Posts: 598 Forumite
    Options
    are 65 or over
    live in a residential care home
    have diabetes
    are being treated for cancer
    have lowered immunity due to HIV or steroid medication
    have a long-term (chronic) condition, such as kidney or liver disease
    work closely with poultry
    are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person
    are a healthcare or social care professional

just to add because it's not clear in this list. You're also entitled to a free flu vaccine from your GP if you suffer from a chronic respiratory problem including bronchitis, emphysema and asthma.

see the attached leaflet by NHS24. The at risk groups are listed on page 3.

http://www.nhs24.com/content/mediaassets/doc/Seasonal%20Flu_Vaccination_SCOT_LOW.pdf
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    re the free available jab if you work closely with poultry, does that inlcude non profit making poultry keepers?
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i get mine at the big branch of Sainsburys in Leicester , so worth checking there if your Sainsburys has a Pharmacy .
    Do many non "At risk" people get this? Im 32, and healthy, but the flu can be a right pain, and loss of time/and medication can cost way more than £8! Should I go get one? !

i see it like a insurance policy . £8 to possibly avoid anything up to month of work with full blown Influenza is well worth it . plus who want to be really ill anyway if they can avoid it .

i'm 37 and reasonably healthy ( i eat right , go the gym 2-3 times a week, don't smoke and drink sensibly )
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • Dynamo5
    Dynamo5 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2009 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Here are a couple of interesting articles on the regular flu vaccinations

online.wsj.com/article/SB125487330214569325.html Wall Street Journal
  • Dynamo5
    Options
    theatlantic.com/doc/200911/brownlee-h1n1 The Atlantic magazine

you'll have to add in the http:// bit in front of them.
  • steadynerve
    Options
    Ive got a few statistics here which may be of use. followed by my calculations.

. Please dont take too seriously my caluclations!! There just an attempt to justify or not spending a tenner each year!!!! I'm sure others could do better.

Bristish lung foundation website indicates jab reduces your chance of getting flu by two thirds.

the health protextion agency website indicates in london there was 26.29 cases of flu per 100,000 in 2007/2008 in 1 week of january. And that flu is generally not life threatening and lasts for one to two weeks.

ok here goes lsts of guesses and assumptions here...

so if the flu season say last from oct to feb say 20 weeks that gives you a one in 190 chance of catching flu a year

or a one in 578 chance with the jab.

so thats a one in twelve chance of catching flu up to 65 (say 50 years) with jabs costing approx £500 whilst healthy

and a one in four chance without jabs upto 65

so on average roughly £500 on jabs upto 65 prevents 1 to 2 days of flu in healthy people.
  • Ginger_Nut
    Options
    No where in my town does the flu jab and the doctors have run out!
    Work don't do it either!

I only live in nottinghamshire! it's not the middle of know where!

What am I ment to do???
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
  • Rammie67
    Options
    K8J wrote: »
    :confused:

Hi I've read your post with interest but is anything available in supermarkets / boots in Scotland?

A couple of the Boots branches in Edinburgh (Fort & Shandwick Place I think) are doing the seasonal flu jab for £12.99. Don't think any of the supermarkets are doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport