Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Can I claim travel expenses to a job interview? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I claim travel expenses to a job interview?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,170
# 1
Delta-NC
Old 22-10-2009, 9:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can I claim travel expenses to a job interview?

The DWP majorly messed up my claim, I wont go into it because it should be nearly sorted now, but I have not had any payments in the last month (signed on as normal so its due to some point). The lack of money was not so much an issue as I live with my parents for the time being and I had a few quid left to get by on.

Well, today I've been offered a job interview in Glasgow which is a fair bit out the way but I'd be happy to move there should the job be offered to me. In trying to work out how to get there someone suggested that the JC may be able to pay my travel expenses to the interview. This would be helpful if true since I'm short of money right now!

Does anyone know if this is the case?
# 2
LittleVoice
Old 22-10-2009, 9:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ask at the Jobcentre about the travel to interview scheme. You have to get their agreement in advance of the interview. They retain the right to check with the employer that you turned up. You would need to show them the invitation to the interview.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleVoice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
sammyjammy
Old 22-10-2009, 9:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You have to apply in advance, the employer will have to be a certain distance away (this will depend on your local area/transport available etc) and they may need to contact employer to check you attended and they didn't pay your expenses.
"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammyjammy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Delta-NC
Old 22-10-2009, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks I'll look into it when I'm there tomorrow
# 5
Savvy_Sue
Old 23-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You could also ask the employer if they are willing to refund travel expenses: some will (and they'll probably pay up a lot faster than the JC!)
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Delta-NC
Old 23-10-2009, 1:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Not that kind of job they're going to be bloody confused when they realise where I actually live! Hoping that comes across as "He MUST want this job".

I'm traveling 90km for a McJob Interview!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delta-NC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
tsimehC
Old 23-10-2009, 4:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wouldn't they have realised where you live when you applied? Oh wait, you lied on the application form? :/
The Following User Says Thank You to tsimehC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Delta-NC
Old 23-10-2009, 5:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Not necessarily, I'm currently living in a small village and no doubt they assume it is a local small village!
# 9
Justicia
Old 24-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-NC View Post
Not that kind of job they're going to be bloody confused when they realise where I actually live! Hoping that comes across as "He MUST want this job".

I'm traveling 90km for a McJob Interview!
If I've read this thread and, in particular, your posts correctly, then I commend you for your efforts in literally getting out there and seeking employment
"Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. No one can be "qualified to Part P."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justicia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Delta-NC
Old 24-10-2009, 4:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks!

Well in update, I asked about expenses and was given a form, but I never submitted it because I wasn't sure that the job met the requirements. (3 months minimum, can't recall if this was just a seasonal job).

I am now going to be taking my brothers car so I'll just empty the tank and pay him back later.

I have also been offered a second interview in Glasgow on the same day for a sales job! I've not been offered an interview in nearly two years and suddenly I get two on the same day! I hope at least one of them goes well!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delta-NC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Justicia
Old 26-10-2009, 6:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good luck for them both!
"Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. No one can be "qualified to Part P."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
# 12
debsy42
Old 26-10-2009, 7:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have to say there were no questions asked when I got an interview in London and was living in Manchester at the time, they sorted out my expenses claim the same day I asked
ITV Winners Club #87
Closed Thread