PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I really cook just with a combi microwave?

Options
Moving to accommodation with no working oven. Tight budget. So thinking of buying a combination microwave oven, but will I be able to cope without a full size oven?:huh:

I cook a full roast every Sunday, I have a pressure cooker and a slow cooker (I like my kitchen gadgets!!:wink:

The one I am looking to buy is 27 ltrs oven capacity.

Advice welcome!

Comments

• taterduck
    Options
    I have a panasonic slimline combi microwave. I don't use the combi function much, but I actually prefer using the convection-oven setting to using the cheap and nasty gas oven our landlord provided. The only issues I have with the combi are that the max temp it can reach is 220C which isn't quite hot enough for some stuff, and that you can't fit a regular size yorkies/cupcake pan in there. Well you can, but when the glass microwave plate turns they catch on the door cause they're too wide for the depth of the oven... if that makes sense.

We put yorkie batter in tinfoil pie cases instead of using a tray. And it will fit a small-medium roasting tin, and most other cake/pie/tart baking tins easily so roasts and other baking are just like using an ordinary oven.

I'm not sure how to find out the litre capacity of ours to compare to the one you're looking at, but the glass plate is about 16cm in radius if that helps.
  • Minerva_2
    Options
    Thanks, it's good to know that a Sunday roast is "do-able" in a combi oven.
  • facebegone
    Options
    Hi,

My husband and I lived for about 3 yrs with only a combi microwave to cook in (we had no hob either!). It was a good way of learning alternative cooking!!

I bought a sort of pressure cooker type thing that could go in the microwave and that was invaluable for doing pasta and rice.

We ate a lot of roasts as well, doing a small joint with the potatos/veg around the edge.

My tip would be to get the biggest and most robust combi micro/oven you can afford and also take tips from teh recipe book they normally put in there and you should be ok.

Hope this helps!
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Comet have a 23L combi microwave for £42.99 which seems a good price.
    http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/394408/GOODMANS-CB23S-U/tab/specification
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most emphatically YES! In fact, next time I have my own kitchen I'll get two combis rather than a conventional oven.

My advice would be not to skimp on the size, it's sometimes difficult to compare go and have a look at some and take in a couple of your pans. The drawback is if you want a roast + roast potatos plus more oven cooked dishes, if you are happy to substitute boiled potatos etc then that's easy but otherwise you need to look for one with a shelf facility so that you can fit two pans and that of course limits the size of your roast. (Hence my planning to have two).

Panasonics have traditionally been good but the current Which? best buy is the Samsung CE1031-B which is larger than average.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • hellokitty08
    Options
    We had these at university and i managed a christmas dinner for 10 using two! Including roast parsnips and Yorkshire puddings, must have brought a cooked chicken though i think. lol
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • wendy52
    Options
    Another yes from me....we have been using a Panasonic combination microwave and a single induction hob whilst the kitchen has been undergoing a refit and we still had people round for meals.
    I used a 3 tier steamer and a pressure cooker on the hob but not at the same time!

I even managed to make greengage jam in the microwave.
  • hellokitty08
    Options
    Although you should have seems my eyes pop out when I realised we didnt have a proper oven as I love cooking. You adapt and get used to it.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure