Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 2nd Apr 09, 3:12 PM
    • 16,666 Posts
    • 99,544 Thanks
    maman
    • 2nd Apr 09, 3:12 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 3:12 PM
    Add them to any stew/casserole and they'll help stretch the meat. Bolognese, chilli, anywhere you'd use fresh.

Personally I don't really like them on their own with cooked breakfast for example but I've stayed in lots of hotels that do use them.
  • rosieben
    • 2nd Apr 09, 4:50 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 4:50 PM
    I cant often get good fresh mushrooms in our village shop so I use the Lidl tinned ones quite often in casseroles, pasta dishes, pies etc. I prefer to get a few fresh ones for breakfast though
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • exup
    • 2nd Apr 09, 4:59 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 4:59 PM
    could chop em up and cook with phildelphia (or similar) cheese . . makes a good topping for turkey/chicken breast steaks .
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
  • nikflo
    • 2nd Apr 09, 6:10 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 6:10 PM
    what about a curry, or mushroom rice??
  • domesticgoddess789
    • 2nd Apr 09, 6:25 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 6:25 PM
    i tend to use them in spag bol or wherever id use fresh cus they are so much cheaper than fresh ones. i find them to be pretty much the same in a sauce anyway
    • penny_less
    • By penny_less 2nd Apr 09, 7:53 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    penny_less
    • 2nd Apr 09, 7:53 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 7:53 PM
    I use them in stir fries, mushroom omelettes,casseroles-cheap really easy and you don't have to chop them!
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 2nd Apr 09, 8:57 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,270 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    • 2nd Apr 09, 8:57 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 8:57 PM
    They're nice in a white/garlicky sauce with pasta. I used to live on this when I was first pregnant with my DS2 it was the only thing that didn't make me feel sick lol!
  • champys
    • 2nd Apr 09, 9:32 PM
    • 2nd Apr 09, 9:32 PM
    My French neighbour, who once was a chef (but French-conservative), always uses Lidl tinned mushrooms very successfully in the sauce that goes with his roast beef or roast leg of lamb - he simply adds a little water to the juices in the roasting pan, scraping the baked-on bits off the bottom and sides, adds the tinned mushrooms (drained) and leaves the sauce to simmer for a little before adjusting the seasoning and serving it with the meat. No thickening or anything, and it always tastes very good that way.

The other thing tinned mushrooms are handy for, is when you want to thicken something without using anything starchy such as flour or cornstarch etc. - for example if you are on a low or no carb diet. You just whizz the drained tinned mushrooms in a blender and add it to the soup or sauce you want to thicken. Works really well.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • JoolzS
    I bought about ten tins when they were cheap in Lidl ages ago. I haven't used any of them.
    How can you use tinned mushrooms :confused:...I'm thinking if I add them to stew or chilli or something they'll be soggy??
    They were so cheap and seemed such a good buy at the time.
    Originally posted by HH62
    They are "soggy" to begin with so add them to anything where you like mushrooms.

Julie
  • susiewarren
    What about a beef and mushroom stroganoff or puree them and add cream to make a soup - yummy!
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 3rd Apr 09, 7:32 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    I use Asda smart priced tinned mushrooms in all sorts of things, stir fries, sauces, casseroles. I can't always get to the shops so it saves a special trip and avoids fresh mushrooms rotting away if our plans change.

Edited to add, I also use frozen mushrooms in the same way.
    Piglet
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,553Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin