Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    likeablelassie
    Help with funding for Unemployed wanting to start New Business
    • 25th Feb 09, 11:35 PM
    Help with funding for Unemployed wanting to start New Business 25th Feb 09 at 11:35 PM
    Hi,

I was hoping someone might know of any organisations that help to fund new business ventures for the unemployed.

Both my partner and I were both made redundant just before Christmas, we have had no joy finding work (even though we have sound qualifications and experience) and have decided to set up a small local cleaning business.

Being on JSA, there is no money left after buying basic necessties for things like equipment, vehicle, insurance etc that we need to get started. We've worked out we'd only need a small grant or loan of between 1000-2000 as we'd be working from home.

We had an appointment with a 'Business Advisor' this morning, who is part of a local government funded initiative to help people (including unemployed/people on benefits) start a small business.

It appears that they provide most of the support that we'd need, free of charge, but we have already come across the problem of funding.

I enquired about grants which they advertised as part of the scheme, but after looking into them, we discovered that some only help people who have been unemployed and claiming JSA for 6 months or more (we havent) and others have age limits, usually between 18-30 (Im 31, my partner is 25!). There is exception to the rule, as I asked.

We have had a bit of a blow today as we were all set to start trading soon, but lack of funds have prevented this at the moment.

I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Ive looked on Business Link website, my local Council website, Job Centre website and MSE website, but the ones Ive come across have either an age restriction or applicants have to have been unemployed for 6 months or more. I really dont want to wait until Ive been claiming for 6 months before starting this venture, I want to get back into work asap, but lack of funding is the only thing stopping us.

Id appreciate any help. :confused: Thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,893Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter