Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    koru
    0 WOW
    5 coin - 80th birthday Queen Elizabeth II
    • 26th Jan 06, 11:00 AM
    0 WOW
    5 coin - 80th birthday Queen Elizabeth II 26th Jan 06 at 11:00 AM
    Just got a flier in this morning's post, saying I have been "specially selected" to be offered the chance to buy the Royal Mint's new 5 coin to commemorate the Queen turning 80. It will apparently cost only 5, post free.

Language like that smells like a scam to me, but I have found the same offer on what does genuinely seem to be the Royal Mail's website. Which makes me curious about how they can afford to send you a coin that is worth 5, post free. If they are bearing the costs of postage and of this marketing, and so on, I reckon that must mean they are only making about 4 after costs. So who is taking the 1 loss?

Does anyone out there know how the Royal Mint operates? Do they have to pay the government 5 in order to mint each 5 commemorative coin? Or do they pay 4? Or what?
    koru
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

14Posts Today

4,185Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AndyM_2101: @MartinSLewis -tourists taking large amounts of cash to Greece - perhaps a reminder on Travel Insurance limits for money th?

• RT @GothboyUK: @MartinSLewis Exactly the same amount I'm due! How strange. ????

• Beware! Just got this text from CONMEN eazyclaims "£3856 IS STILL waiting in your name, for the accident you had! To get money" etc

• Follow Martin