Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Where to buy a good saucepan? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where to buy a good saucepan?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,488
# 1
WOW Factor 0
amalis
Old 12-12-2008, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Where to buy a good saucepan?

We just moved to a new flat and have no kitchen equipment in there. I dont cook much, so set of saucepans like in Argos would be excessive for me. I need just one good big non stick saucepan with lid. Where can I get one? What is the reasonabnle price for it? I've heard good offers are in Asda, but we dont have Asda near us :confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to amalis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Caterina
Old 12-12-2008, 4:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Check jumble sales and charity shops near you, sometimes they have good kitchen equipment. Otherwise, TK MAXX sometimes has very good quality pans at reasonable prices. HTH

Edited to say: even if you don't cook much, now that you have found this forum you might get interested in more cooking, there are some amazingly inspiring posts for beginners etc, so you might want to invest in at least a small basic set - a small frying pan for frying eggs, a small pan for warming milk, a medium pan for steaming veg and making sauces and a larger pan for bulk cooking (and then freezing, which would save you from having to cook more!).
Living a simple life in a complicated world.

Last edited by Caterina; 12-12-2008 at 5:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caterina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
wannabe sybil
Old 12-12-2008, 5:48 PM

I would actually recommend getting a sufficiency of pans, as you always find you need another one! You will be surprised, I am sure, how much kitchen equipment you find you need and on the whole I cannot recommend Wilkinsons enough - I am still using a bucket I bought there in 1988.

I also would recommend spending as much as you can afford, because I spent 60 on a set of Tefal non stick pans in 1989 and they lasted fifteen years. My friend bought cheap pans, which did not last and probably spent more. If you buy one of the more expensive ones from Lakeland you will get a life time guarantee that Lakeland will honour.

Also, I just did a search for non stick new pans on ebay and there were a few, but I think you would have to fall lucky to get a real bargain.

I would recommend Tefal as a good brand, and if you would rather go for less expensive I would go for stainless steel. Inexpensive stainless steel lasts better than inexpensive non stick where the lining comes off and your scrambled eggs come out all speckled.

Having said that, I know of people who have had good experiences of pans from Matalan, and if you have a Wilkinsons then it may be worth checking them out or IKEA.

Good luck and congratulations on your new flat.
Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannabe sybil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Penelope Penguin
Old 12-12-2008, 5:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalis View Post
We just moved to a new flat and have no kitchen equipment in there. I dont cook much, so set of saucepans like in Argos would be excessive for me. I need just one good big non stick saucepan with lid. Where can I get one? What is the reasonabnle price for it? I've heard good offers are in Asda, but we dont have Asda near us :confused:
The best place to ask for such things is on the Shop Don't Drop board, so I'll move your post over
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Barneysmom
Old 12-12-2008, 5:57 PM

Have you tried Freecycle? You could ask on there if someone has one?
Barney is my border collie.
# 6
JoCJo2
Old 12-12-2008, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

How the hell does anyone manage with one saucepan??? Unless you live on ready meals, in which case there is no point in having any kind of saucepan.

I know you can buy single pans in most supermarkets and department stores. I can't comment on the quality though
The Following User Says Thank You to JoCJo2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
amalis
Old 12-12-2008, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCJo2 View Post
How the hell does anyone manage with one saucepan??? Unless you live on ready meals, in which case there is no point in having any kind of saucepan.
i have a steamer and all my food i cook in there.

but you guys are right- if to buy something it is better to buy a proper stuff from the beginning. My hubby always tells me that and so many time i ended up with broken stuff just coz i wanted to save on something.
Thanks for great tips about the quality. I was also thinking of buying something from Tefal coz it is a known brand.
Have been in TK Maxx yesterday ,but one saucepan on which is written non-stick coast there 19.99
# 8
cheap_charlie
Old 12-12-2008, 7:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morrisons sell cheapo "First Home" saucepans singly - they have a milkpan for around 3-4 and frying pans too.

However from personal experience I would suggest buying a more expensive branded pan in TK Maxx as it will last a LOT longer than the Morrisons ones will - better to invest in a good one that lasts IMO.
Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheap_charlie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
scottishminnie
Old 12-12-2008, 7:59 PM

Suggest having a look on QVC - they have some pretty reasonable sets. I would echo the sentiment about the best quality cost more. My prestige set is now 19 years old and like new however they were horrendously expensive (wedding present thankfully). If you would rather just have a medium priced option right now rather than spend lots then have a look at QVC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottishminnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
petshopgirlemma
Old 12-12-2008, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've had the odd decent pan from Asda. Prestige ones tend to last and are a reasonable price.
The Following User Says Thank You to petshopgirlemma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
scotti
Old 12-12-2008, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

how 'bout M & S

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/br...A2BO0OYVBKIQJM

cheers, scotti
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotti For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Barneysmom
Old 13-12-2008, 10:06 AM

I just had this set from QVC, I'm pleased with it, it's gotr a lifetime guarantee so I won't have to bother buying any again.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as....yah.UKHG-UK14

I got these as well to go with them they are ideal for omlettes/savoury rice etc.
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.as....yah.UKHG-UK14

There's more stuff I'll get as time goes by. all matching too.
Barney is my border collie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barneysmom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
nonumb
Old 13-12-2008, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Best bet in my experience is to buy a tefal one (not sure where is cheapest) but these are relatively inexpensive and last years and years where other pans dont last

Also they are very easy to clean
The Following User Says Thank You to nonumb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bubblegumcola
Old 13-12-2008, 1:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bought Meyer pans from Debenhams about fifteen years ago but they have not lasted as well as I thought they would with the non-stick eventually wearing and peeling off on some pans, they were not cheap costing over 100 quid.

To replace the Meyer pans I bought a 365+ set from Ikea, which were on offer a few months ago when you used your family card. It comes with 3 stainless steel pots. Two different sized pots with wee handles on the side, a small pan suitable for milk or scrambling eggs,sauces and a frying pan. The frying pan is non-stick and has no lid but the rest in the set are stainless steel with lids. They have a thick heavy bottom on the pans too so are more likely to last longer and not warp with the heat. Ikea do lots of different sorts of pans, some come with a guarantee so I'm sure you'd find something suitable in there if you can get to an Ikea.

I also have a 3 tier stainless steel steamer I use all the time which was from M&S about ten years ago and that has lasted very well, I use it a couple of times a week. If you can't get to Ikea maybe try M&S especially if they have a 20% off day.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegumcola For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
getmore4less
Old 13-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Until you understand the type of cooking you will be doing you won't know what you need.

A good steel wok is a good option and very versatile,

Oven proof is worth having so a good cast iron pot is usefull to double up for one pot oven dishes.

A decent non stick frying pan is a must for some dishes.

What about a slow cooker.

A large deep frying pan with lid may be an option for a single pan it would be that or a wok if I was one potting.

Plenty of seccond and stuff in the charity shops to get started and upgrade when you know what works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to getmore4less For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
crocodileteeth
Old 14-12-2008, 8:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Prestige pans are sold in Woolies. There are half price and then anothere 20% off. I bought a huge frying pan for 8.00, should have been 20. You might have to be quick though.
The Following User Says Thank You to crocodileteeth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
davester
Old 14-12-2008, 9:08 AM

remember before you buy it check it is suitable for your cooker type. Not all pans can be used on all types
The Following User Says Thank You to davester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Mander
Old 14-12-2008, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We bought a set of pans in John Lewis about 3 years ago for 50 (two sauce pans, small frying/omlette pan, milk pan) and they seem to be holding up pretty well. I also got a great cast iron skillet from Ikea for about 6, and a cast iron casserole from Tesco (on sale for 10 or so).

When I first moved to the UK I bought a big stainless steel wok with a lid from the Yorkshire Trading Company for 10, and I cooked everything in it for a few months. It wasn't particularly gourmet or elegant, but it is possible to cook the spaghetti in the sauce and have something edible!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
MadMac
Old 14-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would echo the thumbs up for IKEA pans. I have had a big and a little one for a few years now and they still look like new. You can get cheaper ones in their range, or more expensive - entirely up to you, but I opted for their cheaper ones and don't regret it. Definitely worth a look if you live near a store.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...kitchen/10508/
The Following User Says Thank You to MadMac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
amalis
Old 15-12-2008, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you guys! You all really helped me and prevented me from making a mistake.
Closed Thread