Vegan Christmas Cake

Wasn't sure where to put this but this is a recipe for an eggless, fatless and sugarfree cake that I have used for the past couple of Christmas cakes:

6 oz brown flour
3 tspns baking powder
2 oz ground almonds
2 tspns mixed spice
1 lb mixed fruit
4 oz dates
4 oz apricots
grated rind of an orange or lemon
1/2 pint water
2 tbspns orange juice

Soak fruit overnight in the liquid. Add dry ingredients and stir well. bake in a 2lb loaf tin or cake tin for approx 1 and a 1/2 hours at 160c, covering for last 1/2 hour.

To make this more "festive" I soak the fruit in cointreau and orange juice and leave it there for at least 24 hours!
You could use any mix of fruit - glace cherries for more colour etc. I have also sucessfully frozen this cake.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Thanks for that Catzine, sounds perfect for someone I know who has to watch her cholesterol. I thought she was going to have to have a tea loaf.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    great for my dad, who is watching cholestrol too,

thanks
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    how long would it keep, i mean if i make it today or tomorrow will it be ok for christmas?
    Not a vegan just dont want to have to [glow=red,2,300]shell out[/glow] for any eggs!!! boom boom!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Groan, groan, groan ;D

Just need a recipe for reduced cholestrol icing and marzipan to decorate it now any ideas anyone?
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cholesterol is produced by the body, so any food which says its low in cholesterol is ripping you off.
    Nuts - like the almonds in marzipan - are 'good' fats.
    you could do away with the icing and marzipan, how about just doing the top, or else cover the cake with nuts/fruit. You could make a festive stencil and dust through it with icing sugar, or use a doily for the same effect.
    Or else a 'basket weave' effect with strips of ready to roll icing, so therefore using a lot less icing.
    hope i had some useful ideas!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i made last night, will let you know how it keeps, half in freezer, rest out to eat. is good though.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I think if you put a fair bit of contreau/brandy or whatever boozy liquid you choose in it, it will keep for Christmas! I still have some slices in my freezer from last year that I forgot about, ate some last week, perfectly ok.

Why not decorate the top with glace fruits and nuts? these can look really lovely and festive.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    did put fruits on mine, but oly a few.
  • i am trying this recipe as we speak (cake baking as of 5 minutes ago), will see what its like in an hour and a half :)
  • Turned out as an excellent cake, but sadly it disappeared within two days ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure