Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > highest paying (crap) jobs... need money (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
highest paying (crap) jobs... need money
Closed Thread
Views: 6,275
# 1
shell145
Old 06-11-2008, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default highest paying (crap) jobs... need money

I was made redundant at the end of August, and I'm a media and communication graduate with not loads of experience in tv/video but some. my last job was in a media company - official role of PA but i also filmed and edited a few conference videos.

Basically although i've had interviews I have been without any income for over a month. The search for a tv job is a hard one, and it may take me another 2, 3, 4 months to get one. I'm looking to earn the most money i can (don't mind if its a horrible job no-one wants to do and that's why its high paying) whilst i search for my next career job.

I know the royal mail night worker shifts used to be high, but they're basically mininum wage now. and i can't find anything apart from care work, which i wouldn't be comfortable doing.

thanks for any input
shell
# 2
savemoney
Old 06-11-2008, 2:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Your leaving at late for Christmas work assuming that is okay. How about shop work, Argos, Supermarkets etc

Royal mail will may be too late. I use to work for them the Christmas schedules will be out in October and new recruits taken on in November

No harm is asking though why not ring local sorting office up.

BTW you cant advertise your business here in the other post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...9#post15615769

EDIT you post has gone now

Last edited by savemoney; 06-11-2008 at 5:33 PM.
# 3
BodyShopBabe
Old 06-11-2008, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

I was on maternity leave when I started doing The Body Shop At Home parties to earn a bit of extra cash. You can fit it in around your home/work life I just do a couple of parties per week (about 3 hours per party) and on average I make about 50 per night. Coming up to Christmas it is likely to double as people do their Christmas shopping with us.

I know you are looking for a full time job but thought I would mention party plan in case it's something you hadn't thought of. It's a fun and easy way of making extra cash when you need it.

Good luck with your search. If you would like more info, please PM me.
x
# 4
shell145
Old 06-11-2008, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for the replies.

i couldn't do the parties due to living with my boyfriend in our flat it wouldn't work. also i'm kind of shy so the parties thing doesn't suit me, but thank you.

i'm not looking for christmas work - i mean i'd do it if it was well paid, but none of it is. the same for supermarket work, even nightshifts from what i can figure have gone down a lot - they used to be some at 9 odd an hour, but now only up to about 7/8 - which is kind of pants, would earn at least that in admin.

hmmmmm

thanks for you comments though
Shell

PS. My other thread is advertising discounted services - saving the s
# 5
LisaLou1982
Old 09-11-2008, 9:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just a thought.......
You said you got made redundant at end of August and havent had a job since yet you are turning down work???
Far be it from me to judge but if you dont have an income coming in, id have thought you wouldnt be able to afford to be picky!!! Take a minimum paid job until you find something better.
The Following User Says Thank You to LisaLou1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Cerisa
Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

sales. it'll be horrible, but well paid if you're any good.
# 7
wileycat
Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to wileycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell145 View Post

I know the royal mail night worker shifts used to be high, but they're basically mininum wage now.
Thats probably as you can only see ads for casual workers at 5.95 an hour. They tend to pick the best casual staff and offer them permanent jobs at postman's wages which are a bit more than that.
You should still get the night shift allowance on top of that if you wanted to do nights.
# 8
george2
Old 11-11-2008, 7:53 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLou1982 View Post
Just a thought.......
You said you got made redundant at end of August and havent had a job since yet you are turning down work???
Far be it from me to judge but if you dont have an income coming in, id have thought you wouldnt be able to afford to be picky!!! Take a minimum paid job until you find something better.
i'm in a job i don't like, but i can't find anything else yet. so i'll be sticking it out till i can.

Quote:
i'm not looking for christmas work - i mean i'd do it if it was well paid, but none of it is. the same for supermarket work, even nightshifts from what i can figure have gone down a lot - they used to be some at 9 odd an hour, but now only up to about 7/8 - which is kind of pants, would earn at least that in admin.
i'd love to be on 7/8 per hour, i'm currently on less than 6 per hour but it's a job and the bills need paying. so i can't afford to just leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to george2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
withabix
Old 11-11-2008, 7:57 AM

Why not register with temp agencies?

If you need the money, you can't afford to be choosy.

You might even get a permanent offer if you're any good.
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000
The Following User Says Thank You to withabix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
scuzz
Old 11-11-2008, 8:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you registered on the Guardian's job site? They do a lot of media listings on there.

I used to waitress and work behind a bar when I was out of work in the industry I work in. It will probably be minimum wage, but the tips are generally pretty good - especially over the festive period

You could try a supermarket. They seem to pay fairly well, and you'd get a discount on your shopping there
Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
# 11
Chloe5
Old 11-11-2008, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

As an alternative to care work try the NHS - they often take untrained 'nurses' called CSWs and you can work on many different kinds of wards. Go to your local hospital site or to the NHS one to narrow down your search to say a radius of 20 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
MothballsWallet
Old 12-11-2008, 7:09 PM

I'm doing admin work right now, and I'm making less than 7 quid an hour. I really need to start looking for something else.
Always ask yourself one question: What would MothballsWallet do?
14/09/1954: Remember Totskoye
MbW v UK Gov: Mrs MbW returns 30th August
# 13
xbecca18x
Old 12-11-2008, 7:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ive just signed up, so not really sure what i am doing yet

But Chloe5 read your post and can you tell me more about the CSW 'nurses' please, sounds interesting

thanks
Closed Thread