Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • postie1001
    • 24th Sep 08, 5:40 PM
    • 24th Sep 08, 5:40 PM
    I've come into some interesting First Day Covers (letters that have gone through the post) and I'd be interested to know whether they are worth anything.

Is there anywhere I can find out, please?
    Originally posted by wadewade
    I'd have a look on Ebay, search under "FDC" (First Day Covers) and you should see pretty much every FDC that's ever been issued. It might not give you an exact price, but for those just about to end, it'll give you a rough idea of what they're worth. You could always click on "watch this sale" too, so that you can come back and view what the end of sale price was.

I'm not a stamp collector, I;m an ex-postman. So I don't know too much about FDC's, but I used buy and sell ex-Royal Mail items on Ebay and any search for Royal Mail, will always throw up a shed-load of FDC sales, so much so that I used to exclude the search term "first day covers - FDC" .

Failing that, I'm sure there has to be some kind of philately site that'll give you a rough price guide... Stanley Gibbons maybe????
  • soolin
    • 24th Sep 08, 5:47 PM
    • 24th Sep 08, 5:47 PM
    I'm sure I'm getting the reputation of being all doom and gloom but I bought 100 FDCs from 1955 onwards at auction for 10 planning to make a killing, have so far managed to sell one for 75p.

Blooming things, they don't even sell for the face value of the stamps. I keep hoping i'll come across a rare one and make a fortune, but I've checked through about 75 so far on ebay without any success. Stanley Gibbons issue books of prices and according to that I should be sitting on around 60 of FDcs, which is no use if no one will buy them.

I also aquired from a relative some mint presentation packs, this time from about the 1970s onwards, I sold a few on ebay and then realised I was selling at less than face value, so I am now just opening the packs and using the stamps on my mail.

When I was young stamp collecting (philately) was a huge hobby but it seems to have completely died now.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,554Posts Today

7,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Rare Tesco 500 extra pts code (worth £5-£20) for new AND exist cust if you do £60+ online food shop. Ends tomorrow http://t.co/3PBwqjFNRb RT

• RT @lalahiggins33: @MartinSLewis thanks to your piece on Victoria Derbyshire last week I'm nearly a grand richer due to MIS sold package ba?

• I'm limbering up for my new @itvthismorning "do it or don't" slot. I'm meant to have the wisdom of Solomon, wisdom of a salmon's closer

• Follow Martin