Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Short video clip from The British Heart Foundatio... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Short video clip from The British Heart Foundation. Could save someones life
Views: 20,557
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MARTINS DOLL
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Short video clip from The British Heart Foundation. Could save someones life

In my view, by watching this short clip from The British Heart Foundation, we could all potentially save a life.

Quote:
On Sunday 10th August millions of people across the UK tuned in to watch their own heart attack. Jeremy Kyle watched for his mum. Chris Tarrant watched for his dad. Who will you watch for?
Many people are unaware they are actually having a heart attack because they don't know the symptoms. The British Heart Foundation's two minute film allows you to experience what it's like to have a heart attack. Take the time to watch it – then you'll be prepared if and when it happens for real.

http://www.2minutes.org.uk/

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

................................... MSE MARTIN LEWIS ... ... THANK YOU.......................

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MARTINS DOLL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
indelacio
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

quite clever advert. Although I think a number of ... cant remember the terminology those people who think theyve got illnesses they havent.. theyll all be phoning 999 regularly now.

I missed it on tv so thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indelacio For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Marisan
Old 13-08-2008, 7:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I didn't see the TV showing so I was glad to watch this.I shall be making sure my hubby watches it too.You never know when you might need the information.
.Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marisan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
naimone
Old 13-08-2008, 8:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

"cant remember the terminology those people who think theyve got illnesses they havent.."

Munchausen's syndrome:

"Munchausen's syndrome is a rare psychological and behavioral condition in which somebody fabricates or induces symptoms of illness in themselves.

(Munchausen's syndrome is named after a German aristocrat, Baron Munchausen, who became famous for telling wild, unbelievable tales about his exploits and past.)"

Quote is provided from the NHS Direct website.

From my own previous experience and knowledge, Munchausen's sufferers tend to be quite intelligent people and will have a well researched knowledge of their feigned ailments.
The Following User Says Thank You to naimone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
naimone
Old 13-08-2008, 8:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just watched the video as well. Very good description of the symptoms and their presentation. I hope it gets plenty of air time.
The Following User Says Thank You to naimone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
swindondave999
Old 13-08-2008, 8:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by indelacio View Post
quite clever advert. Although I think a number of ... cant remember the terminology those people who think theyve got illnesses they havent.. theyll all be phoning 999 regularly now.

I missed it on tv so thanks.
HYPERCONDRIACS (?spelling)
The Following User Says Thank You to swindondave999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
78mjt
Old 13-08-2008, 8:45 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindondave999 View Post
HYPERCONDRIACS (?spelling)

Spelled correctly - I don't think I dare watch the video as I'll think I'm having a heart attack about 3 times a day...
The Following User Says Thank You to 78mjt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
madwolf
Old 13-08-2008, 9:10 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I think you'll find it's "hypochondriac".

Gaz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madwolf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
chrimson
Old 13-08-2008, 9:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to chrimson

Thanks for this. I didn't see it on t.v. I will be passing the link to everyone I know.

Christine.x
The Following User Says Thank You to chrimson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
JayD
Old 13-08-2008, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Useful but a pity that (apart from a short typed line at the end) it makes it seem as if the paind/discomfort is qutie severe and also that it spreads to arms and neck etc.

My heart attack was just chest pains that came when I settled down to sleep. They were quite painful but tolerable with no sense of tightening and they did not spread to anywhere else in my body. Laying down made them worse - apparently that is quite normal for heart problems.

I sat at my desk for a long long time willing the pains to go away and fortunately, eventually they did. But not after a small part of my heart had died.

My GP had told me in the run up that it was digestive - she had given me a resting ECG and said my heart was fine.

The hospital told me that a resting ECG does NOT indicate that your heart is fine. It simply indicates that your heart beat is fine. You need an exercise ECG to show angine.

Also please note that chest pains when doing any exercise (like just walking)after eating is also a typical sign of angina.

I have had my bypass operation now and with a change in lifestyle am doing very well. But please take note of the warning symptoms described on the video clip and here.

It was a helpful vid but not informative enough in my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Inverness
Old 13-08-2008, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Powerful and thought provoking - more info avaialable from BHF as it says in the clip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inverness For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
ghj
Old 13-08-2008, 12:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Left me feeling uncertain or confused. My GP has told me that indigestion type discomfort is not likely to be relevant, that any chest pain from heart problems would be far far more intense.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Confused Jo
Old 14-08-2008, 7:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation All heart attacks are different

FOR GHJ - THe British Heart Foundation did say all heart attacks are different. Here's my story.
My Dad has had two, they have said a third will kill him.

Fortunately when he had his first, after having two weeks if indigestion escalating to vomiting, he agreed to see a doctor. He'd put this down to a dodgy pasty , etc. I only really knew that some thing was really wrong when they couldn't fit him until lunchtime and he said he couldn't wait. He NEVER goes to the doctor.

I 'm not sure how I managed to drive him to the GPs but the staff were excellent. The GP kicked out his current patient, calmly put my Dad in a wheelchair, gave him morphine and other drugs and only told him that he was having a heart attack when he insisted he was fine. He calmly phoned and asked for a blue light ambulance and then I knew something was up.

He did want to have a lie down on the sofa. I hate to think if I had let him.

He was 57 when this happened. Worked in a hard physical job all his life, as despite being a smoker with not the best of diets the Cardiac team told him it was stress.

It can catch you out. For his second he didn't think it was a heart attack as it wasn't too bad but called me to come over because his GTN spray wasn't working rather than call an ambulance. Some people are damn stubborn.

PLEASE, call an ambulance first, family second, every minute you waste more of your heart muscle dies and the worse it could be. The damage can never be repaired.

Since then I have marched him to the hospital twice , yes for an angina attack but the staff really don't mind. Rather safe than sorry.

Jo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Confused Jo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
LadyJean
Old 14-08-2008, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree that the video is good but more straight forward information
would be helpful.

My husband (78) had a heart attack about ten weeks ago. He felt a bit dizzy whilst trimming the hedge - didn't tell me. About half an hour later he called me to the bedroom - he sounded very strange. He could hardly breathe, said his chest felt tight and he looked grey and he was sweating profusely. I grabbed a pillow and put it under his head and immediately rang the ambulance which arrived in 4 minutes - as they came in he stopped breathing. They managed to resuscitate him and stabilised him enough to get to the hospital but he had a cardiac arrest on the way - Thank God for defribrillators - he survived the journey.

Two days later after angioplasty and two stents inserted he was discharged from hospital!

He is making a good recovery due to the fabulous treatment from the ambulance crew and paramedic, plus all the people who looked after him in hospital - BUT they all said he only survived because I called 999 immediately.

So if you are ever in this situation then do not hesitate.

Last edited by LadyJean; 14-08-2008 at 9:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyJean For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
simonne15
Old 15-08-2008, 1:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up Heart attack symptoms video

We found this very good in spite of maybe seeming well-embedded in medical terms. We feel confident it will ensure that more people are more aware than we were when my partner had his attack. He had no pain at any time before, during or afterwards but merely a mild ache around the jaw which was identical to the familiar one he'd had from a gum infection. We didn't know at the time that this can be an indicator.

Time is crucial at this stage to call an ambulance and possibly minimise the damage to the heart as well as saving a life.
What's also worth knowing is that the clot-busting drug that he was offered in the hospital works instantly and well but can cause such a shock to the heart that it stops. So if you're attending with a victim be ready to press the emergency button for the team to come and resuscitate! The sight of the body bouncing vigorously on the bed and no staff there at the time is an experience I never want to repeat.
Great initiative BHF.
The Following User Says Thank You to simonne15 For This Useful Post: Show me >>