IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Length of JSA claim and courses
Closed Thread
Views: 1,749
# 1
Leigh Albone
Old 10-08-2008, 9:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Length of JSA claim and courses

Hi

I have been claiming JSa both contribution and income based fro over a year since being made redundant, a total period of 18 months

NOrmally I would now be granted access to courses to retrain and help with job applications, new deal etc.

However, 10 months ago a friend asked me to accompany them on a holiday abroad in order to help with her autistic son, the holiday and all expenses were paid by her, apart from having a free 2 weeks in the sun i gained nothing from this.

However, i had to close my claim, and make a rapid reclaim which was processed and paid, i lost 2 weeks JSA and HB which I expected, and have no problem with.

Job centre plus now treat me as though i have only been unemployed since teh date of my return so i am not entilted to courses etc. of course in reality i ahve been out of work much longer, despite applying fro mumerous jobs and not even getting to intervies stage.

Is ther anything i cna do to force the issue to get the help i need to get back into work?

Leigh
# 2
ukdickie31
Old 10-08-2008, 11:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have you any of the following 'barriers' to employent ?

A Disability
Criminal convictions
Basic Skills needs
ESOL needs

These would mean you are classed as 'disadvantaged' and would give you day 1 eligibility to support.

Some areas of the UK also get European Social Fund (ESF) help.

Ask your Jobcentre who their ESF provider is. From what I know, from July, all Jobcentres should have a linked ESF provider that can provide support from day 1 of a claim, regardless of the disadvantages listed above.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukdickie31 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Oldernotwiser
Old 11-08-2008, 6:42 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You can see a Nextstep Adviser (normally through JCP) without any time restrictions, or even being unemployed, for that matter. S/he will be able to help you with your CV and job applications. As far as retraining goes, I wouldn't put much fath in the Jobcentre, however long you've been unemployed. Their training opportunities are normally very sketchy and you'd be better contacting your local college to see what's available through them. Depending on what qualifications you already have, fees may be waived for many courses.
# 4
DebDay
Old 11-08-2008, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unfortunately you are only allowed to miss 2 JS appointments per year before your entitlement is cancelled and re-evaluated. If u missed 2 appointments whilst on holiday but informed the jobcentre you were going then they automatically re-evaluate your claim. Even though someone else paid, they see the fact that you went on holiday as you notbeing serious about jobhunting. It would have been different if you advised themthat you were ill.
# 5
LittleVoice
Old 11-08-2008, 7:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebDay View Post
Unfortunately you are only allowed to miss 2 JS appointments per year before your entitlement is cancelled and re-evaluated. If u missed 2 appointments whilst on holiday but informed the jobcentre you were going then they automatically re-evaluate your claim. Even though someone else paid, they see the fact that you went on holiday as you notbeing serious about jobhunting. It would have been different if you advised themthat you were ill.
Have the rules changed? I thought a two-week holiday was allowed - thought subject to losing the allowance for the two weeks if the holiday is outside the UK.
# 6
ukdickie31
Old 11-08-2008, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Little Voice, you are correct, provided that the Jobseeker informs the JC in advance.

As for missing appointments, there are a range of 'Treat as Straightforward' situations where a Jobseeker can be treated as actively seeking employment. In fact, taken to the extreme and circumstances being confirmed for each, they can actually total 52 weeks !!!!

Last edited by ukdickie31; 11-08-2008 at 7:53 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukdickie31 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
DebDay
Old 15-08-2008, 3:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVoice View Post
Have the rules changed? I thought a two-week holiday was allowed - thought subject to losing the allowance for the two weeks if the holiday is outside the UK.

I stand corrected. However, the rules must have changed because we had our benefits stopped because of the above. (5years ago)
Closed Thread