Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    belisama
    Unable to pay tax bill: Any ideas?
    • 3rd Aug 08, 12:34 PM
    Unable to pay tax bill: Any ideas? 3rd Aug 08 at 12:34 PM
    Hello helpful people - this is my first post and hope you can give me some advice.

I am self employed, and have done my tax calculation online for 07-08 (but not sumbitted it yet - don't plan to until the final deadline). By my current reckonning I have approx 6,000 to pay for 07-08, plus 2,000 in advance for 08-09.

All well and good, except that, for a variety of family and financial reasons, I've had to spend my savings, and (while I am about to try) am unlikely to have the funds to pay come January. This is due to lack of work and further accumulating debts.

What I'd like to know is - are there any schemes for paying tax back in installments? How does the tax man view this? Will they take the attitude that small frequent payments are better than none? if I can't pay (or can't pay it all at once) what will happen? And finally - is it better to approach them before or after the payment deadline?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions, but any advice would be most welcome, if only to put my mind at rest/put me in the picture.

Thank you
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

2,169Users online

Martin's Twitter