IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DLA benefits & Bankruptcy
Views: 3,375
# 1
blueopal5577
Old 28-07-2008, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default DLA benefits & Bankruptcy

I am currently applying for Disability Living Allowance and I'm also going to be going bankrupt either in August or September (depending on when I get the fee together). The DLA will take a long time to come through anyway but questions!

DLA is paid for people who need the support / care by an external person.

1) Because it'll be delayed, I'd probably recieve a back dated payment lump sum, (17 a week if i recieved lower rate) would the OR take this?

2)As the payment would be part of my income, would I have to pay it out to creditors? I'm worried I'm going to struggle to claim DLA, and if it comes through, it'd be disheartening to not be able to spend it to help my health.

Any advice needed,

A

My indulgence:

It didnt justify a post of its own but since the only person who knows about my BR intention in real life is abroad I'm going to share: I just rang the court! I feel sick because I nearly had a panic attack just talking to them but yes! At the moment they can book me in for the following week, and the OR interview is the next day and... thats it! I can smell freedom!

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
shadowdragon
Old 28-07-2008, 4:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am in receipt of DLA, which I spend on running my car, and the OR was ok with that. I know when calculationg Housing Benefit ect they cant take DLA into consideration. And they dont enforce a IPA if you are on benefits. I honestly dont know about the lump sum though. Hopefully someone will know.
"Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I got a better one. How about I give you the finger, and you give me my phone call"
"There is no spoon
"

~~MSE BSC member #172~~
# 3
Dez-Titute
Old 28-07-2008, 4:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Blue,
If you get the back pay prior to BR you could use it towards BR fees or a nice new bed.
The triumph of hope over experience

mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa
The Following User Says Thank You to Dez-Titute For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Waspeze
Old 28-07-2008, 4:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdragon View Post
I am in receipt of DLA, which I spend on running my car, and the OR was ok with that. I know when calculationg Housing Benefit ect they cant take DLA into consideration. And they dont enforce a IPA if you are on benefits. I honestly dont know about the lump sum though. Hopefully someone will know.

Quote:
31.7.10 Arrears of benefits received post bankruptcy

Occasionally, where a bankrupt is in receipt of benefits he/she may receive arrears of benefit payments as a post bankruptcy receipt (prior to discharge). Where this happens, because state benefits are excluded from the bankruptcy, the arrears of benefit (including tax credits ) cannot be claimed as a vested asset because they are state benefits. It may however be possible to claim the monies under the income payments provisions of the Insolvency Act by agreeing a single payment agreement with the bankrupt as a voluntary contribution. Any arrears of benefit claimed in this way should not include any child tax credit benefits.

N.B. official receivers must ensure when dealing with arrears of benefit in this way as a voluntary contribution, that the payment does not represent an overpayment, which has been paid to the bankrupt post bankruptcy and which can be recovered after discharge in specific circumstances.

This is for normal benefits .. not sure about DLA though as I don't think it's counted as normal income?
Save a little money each month and at the end of the year youll be surprised at how little you have.
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind
# 5
Dez-Titute
Old 28-07-2008, 4:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Blue,

Take a look here and maybe give them a call

http://www.mind.org.uk/News+policy+a...y/Benefits.htm
The triumph of hope over experience

mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa
The Following User Says Thank You to Dez-Titute For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
blueopal5577
Old 28-07-2008, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wow that was quick.

Excellent. You're right Dez, a bed would be bloody good, as would BR!

Reading that quote, although DLA is slightly different, I think the same will apply since if I owed them for an overpayment or similar, it couldnt be included in bankruptcy.

What would i do without this board?

These are the questions that are more difficult to google!
# 7
DebS
Old 28-07-2008, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My DLA wasn't taken into account at all.

Good Luck.
Deb Bankrupt 04/07/08 12.15pm

MSE B&SC member number 175.

The Following User Says Thank You to DebS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
philnicandamy
Old 28-07-2008, 7:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ditto.....My DLA was not taken into account..although the OR did question how much I received & what i'd have done with the cash if I'd not put towards a motability car
The Following User Says Thank You to philnicandamy For This Useful Post: Show me >>