Self Assessment - Tax Owing

Options
Hi

this year for 1st time I've had to endure Self Assessment, having just completed the return it tells me I owe £4k in tax, this has come as a shock to say the least.

Earnings for the year 2014/15 were £134k paying £43.3k in tax

says amount due is £4135.2

is this correct? I've no extra/special incomes and only have an employer pension which I pay into out of salary, but declaring the numbers from my P60 spit out this unfortunate answer

any ideas?

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

this year for 1st time I've had to endure Self Assessment, having just completed the return it tells me I owe £4k in tax, this has come as a shock to say the least.

Earnings for the year 2014/15 were £134k paying £43.3k in tax

says amount due is £4135.2

Normal tax on £134k would be £47,227.
    is this correct? I've no extra/special incomes and only have an employer pension which I pay into out of salary, but declaring the numbers from my P60 spit out this unfortunate answer

any ideas?

How much do you pay into the pension?

What were your P60 figures and what tax code was used?

Do you have any taxable benefits from work? Do you have any Child Benefit?
  • jem16
    Options
    booksurr wrote: »
    (31,785 x 20%) + ((134,000 - 31,785) x 40%) = 47,243

time for you to pay for some tax advice

That should be £31,865 for 2014/15 and not £31,785 so tax would be £47,227.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The tax due is suspiciously close to 40% on 10,000, the PA for the 14/15 and as you said it was the first time you have had to complete a tax return you may not have earned over £100,000 the previous year.
    Once your earnings exceed £100,000 your PA is reduced by £1 for each £2 of income over £100,000 so it is reduced for incomes from £100,000 to £120,000.
    This is not dealt with through the tax tables but through your tax code, what was your code on your P60?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • village_life
    Options
    booksurr wrote: »
    presumably this is the first time you have earned over £120k o

Yes it is.....
  • village_life
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    The tax due is suspiciously close to 40% on 10,000, the PA for the 14/15 and as you said it was the first time you have had to complete a tax return you may not have earned over £100,000 the previous year.
    Once your earnings exceed £100,000 your PA is reduced by £1 for each £2 of income over £100,000 so it is reduced for incomes from £100,000 to £120,000.
    This is not dealt with through the tax tables but through your tax code, what was your code on your P60?

My current tax code on the P60 was 1033. This "rule" about >£100k earnings isnt really common knowledge IMHO, so I expected PAYE would cater for all payments having increased my income....
  • jem16
    Options
    My current tax code on the P60 was 1033.

Hence your underpayment. You have had £10,330 of a personal allowance that £10k (at least) of you shouldn't get.

Your personal allowance is £330 higher than normal - why is that?
    This "rule" about >£100k earnings isnt really common knowledge IMHO, so I expected PAYE would cater for all payments having increased my income....

No - it's up to you to inform HMRC that you expect to have income over £120k so that they can adjust your tax code to take the correct PAYE.

I would suggest you contact HMRC although I expect they will now adjust your tax code in light of the tax return.
  • village_life
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Hence your underpayment. You have had £10,330 of a personal allowance that £10k (at least) of you shouldn't get.

Your personal allowance is £330 higher than normal - why is that?

No - it's up to you to inform HMRC that you expect to have income over £120k so that they can adjust your tax code to take the correct PAYE.

I would suggest you contact HMRC although I expect they will now adjust your tax code in light of the tax return.

Hi,

no real idea why my personal allowance is higher than "normal". I've never had to look into tax previously.

I don't understand why when operating under PAYE its my obligation to tell the tax office my Pay is going to increase.... i thought that was the point of PAYE..... would the same obligation hold if I got a payrise from £40k to £60k? I dont think the population generally communicate with HMRC in such a "proactive" manner - hence my bemusement

So I'm left with a demand to pay £4k by January which I cannot afford (Despite earnings) so how do I approach this with HMRC and how do I avoid falling into this situation again - particularly when my core earning is somewhat variable comprising £80k base salary and notionally a 50% bonus (Thus getting to OTE £120k)
  • jem16
    Options
    I don't understand why when operating under PAYE its my obligation to tell the tax office my Pay is going to increase.... i thought that was the point of PAYE.....

When it crosses over £100k, yes it's better that you inform them as PAYE can't handle that situation.
    would the same obligation hold if I got a payrise from £40k to £60k?

No it wouldn't. The problem lies with the reducing of the PA on incomes over £100k.
    I dont think the population generally communicate with HMRC in such a "proactive" manner - hence my bemusement

I'm afraid all taxpayers really should be looking at their tax more proactively. Would you happily allow your employer just to take what he likes from your pay without trying to understand it? Or anything that deducts money from you?
    So I'm left with a demand to pay £4k by January which I cannot afford (Despite earnings) so how do I approach this with HMRC and how do I avoid falling into this situation again - particularly when my core earning is somewhat variable comprising £80k base salary and notionally a 50% bonus (Thus getting to OTE £120k)

You need to communicate with HMRC and find out how to repay it. You also need to inform them if your salary will go over £100k. You could also pay more into your pension to avoid losing the PA.
  • village_life
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    When it crosses over £100k, yes it's better that you inform them as PAYE can't handle that situation.

No it wouldn't. The problem lies with the reducing of the PA on incomes over £100k.

I'm afraid all taxpayers really should be looking at their tax more proactively. Would you happily allow your employer just to take what he likes from your pay without trying to understand it? Or anything that deducts money from you?

You need to communicate with HMRC and find out how to repay it. You also need to inform them if your salary will go over £100k. You could also pay more into your pension to avoid losing the PA.

Thank you, I appreciate the help.... this is somewhat of a shock to me though today!

I will give HMRC a call. TBH I am a bit surprised that I may have to find ways to positively mitigate my tax.... I already pay 5% (matched) into a pension provided by my employer and am broadly OK with what that means for me.... having to have a private pension purposefully to avoid tax in the future I am less comfortable with....

while my salary will vary YoY (by virtue of being bonus scheme) I am fine paying the tax as long as its taken correctly and not leaving me with a £4k bill and a problem I then need to resolve...... it just feels like a disincentive to perform/improve one's situation......

But thanks again
  • jem16
    Options
    I will give HMRC a call. TBH I am a bit surprised that I may have to find ways to positively mitigate my tax....

You don't have to mitigate tax if you don't want to.
    I already pay 5% (matched) into a pension provided by my employer and am broadly OK with what that means for me.... having to have a private pension purposefully to avoid tax in the future I am less comfortable with....

You don't necessarily have to have a private pension - your employer might allow extra contributions.

However, personally, I would rather the money is in my pension pot for my future rather than in the hands of the taxman. If your pension income is that great you may end up paying it in tax later on.

Pension saving and tax relief is a very legitimate way of saving tax and used by many people. I'm not sure I understand your reluctance to use it.
    while my salary will vary YoY (by virtue of being bonus scheme) I am fine paying the tax as long as its taken correctly and not leaving me with a £4k bill and a problem I then need to resolve...... it just feels like a disincentive to perform/improve one's situation......

But thanks again

It will be taken correctly providing you are a bit more proactive about your tax affairs.

As to the extra £330 allowance you get on your tax code, you should have received a P2 Coding Notice from HMRC which would have explained exactly what it was for. What did this say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure