-- Writing a book - copy right question? --

Options
Hi am writing my first book in UK as a UK Citizen. I sow saw footage from UK youtube sites and USA youtube sites which I would like to include as pictures in my book. Do I need to obtain copy right permission (written) from the channel creator? How does it work when featuring pictures and movies from other places on net (i.e. random sites with pictures that random people post to pictures).

thanks blesses

Arek

Comments

• fragmented
    fragmented Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you will need permission from who ever is the copyright holder.
  • Sugarplum634
    Options
    If it's film or TV or video it'll be the company who made the original - even for a screen shot.
    Make £520 a year in 2020 so far (£0 cash £0 AGC)

(2019,£481.69) (2018, no idea!) ( 2017 £673.20) (2016 £800.97) (2015 £791.42/$312)

Penny challenge: 21/366 (66.70/671.61)
    NSD 7/150
  • thriftyarek888
    Options
    If it's film or TV or video it'll be the company who made the original - even for a screen shot.

So I just email thee and ask for permission. that will solve it. ta
  • spike241
    Options
    Only if they agree to you using them without payment.

Just to clarify, you can't take photos from 'random places on the net'.
    Even if you are unable to find or contact the copyright holder, that doesn't give you the right to use them.
    It doesn't matter if they're watermarked or not, unless they explicitly give you permission to use them then you risk being sued for copyright infringement.

Sorry for the mini rant but I'm a photographer and this really bugs me!
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    If you're hoping to get a book published, I suggest you brush up on your spelling and grammar ;)
  • thriftyarek888
    Options
    Can I quote in my book without thee permission peoples opinions expressed in youtube comments sections?
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you write in the same way you type on here? If so you might want to get a proof reader to go over it.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are lots of places to find out information on the Copyright Act, that make much more sense then having asked it in this forum...and require fairly little effort on your part.

Its generally pretty simple. If someone else created it, you'll need permission. That you are taking a screenshot is irrelevant. Its like me taking a picture of "Hamlet", uploading it to Facebook and claiming I wrote it....
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • spob
    spob Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I would say definately yes, you don't want to pay for printing etc, then find your're going to get sued if you don't remove them :)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2016 at 10:43AM
    Options
    If it's a comedy book, I'd definitely buy it.
    I've seen your tree hugging video on you tube. Priceless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure